Mona-putting Tasmania on the map.

Discussion in 'Trip Reports' started by latrobe, Feb 12, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. latrobe
    Original Member

latrobe Silver Member

Status Points:
    I am a semi-retired physician(internist for North Americans).So i work part time to fund my travel and work through my personal bucket list.I work in Tasmania and live in Queensland,Australia.This was a visit to a new Art Gallery in Hobart,Tasmania on a weekend off.
    The popular press have been reporting this as an extremely controversial place with things such as an euthanasia screen,works with sexual references and many works with a focus on excreta.As usual the press view is far from the reality.This is an impressive gallery with a great use of technology.
    Returning to Hobart by ferry there was an older local who summed it up-Tasmania owes a vote of gratitude to David Walsh-he has put Tasmania on the map.Also reading the visitor's book in the Gallery a woman from San Francisco had written that this was amongst the best,if not the best,gallery in the world.I agree.
    We started off walking from our hotel-as booked less than 1 week out we had little choice so were staying at Rydges on Argyle.Spent a couple of hours at the Salamanca market-sunshine though cool for these Queenslanders.Then a short walk to the MONA ferry shuttle.Out on the top deck enjoying the sunshine-only $15 and a great way to go.
    The Lady Nelson was out on the derwent-
    [​IMG]
    Past Government House-
    [​IMG]
    The zinc works-
    [​IMG]
    The Incat site-
    [​IMG]
    To arrive at MONA-The Museum of Old and New Art at Moorilla Estate.
    [​IMG]
    One warning-if you have mobility problems then there are many stairs on arriving at the museum.entrance is free.You get an Ipod which gives you all the info on the art-no labels anywhere.This is a really great way of going around a museum-you can get as little or as much info as you want.

So to the controversy-those complaining have not been,period.There are no labels so for example the Euthanasia machine would not be recognised unless you wanted to find out.On the guide there are sections in red suggesting that they are not appropriate for children.Then apart from all those way out pieces featured in the papers there are many more pieces such as works by Sidney,Nolan,Arthur Boyd,Brett Whitely etc.
    To be continued.

violist and Chimpy like this.
  2. latrobe
    Original Member

latrobe Silver Member

Status Points:
    Then there is the building itself-reminiscent of the Australia pavilion at the recent Shanghai Expo on the outside.Quarried into the sandstone giving fantastic walls.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    It is suggested you start on the lower floor-there you find a bar-great to be able to sit and enjoy a beer or glass of wine in a gallery.Upstairs is the museum cafe-nice snacks and salad.Staff extremely efficient and as is typical of Moorilla well trained.
    View to the bar-
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

3. latrobe
    Original Member

latrobe Silver Member

Status Points:
    One of the highlights is Sidney Nolan's largest work-
    [​IMG]
    Then we caught the ferry back-cold,cloudy and showers so sat inside and once again enjoyed a glass of wine on the way back.Another tip-on the weekend book your return ferry time-we did and only those that had booked could get on the 5.30pm ferry-if you didn't want to stay you could get a bus back instead.
    [​IMG]
    Also on weekends the crowds are still large-wasn't too bad catching the midday ferry but we went back on Sunday to have lunch at the Source and this was the queue just after opening at 1100-
    [​IMG]
    Arrived back and walked across to Mures and dinner on the Upper Deck.I had a fabulous seafood platter for 1 with a great selection of less common seafood-
    [​IMG]

We both thought this was a great day and a world class experience.Thoroughly reccomended.

4. Chimpy
    Original Member

Chimpy Gold Member

Status Points:
    Thanks for the TR, that seafood looks very nice.

5. Junca
    Original Member

Junca Silver Member

Status Points:
    LOVE reports on unique, interesting places. Thanks for posting. Nice pics.

6. TrueBlueFlyer
    Original Member

TrueBlueFlyer Silver Member

Status Points:
    very unique indeed... sure beats my one-day Hobart visit thanks to a DJ happy hour sale.

7. studio76
    Original Member

studio76 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Great photos. I was in Tasmania for the first time about 3 weeks before this opened and would have loved to have seen it! Tasmania was a wonderful destination regardless, and would highly recommend it for a low key break.

8. chemist562
    Original Member

chemist562 In Memorian

Status Points:
    Great photos. Seafood looks very nice & delicious. [​IMG]

My friend & I went to Tasmania last November. My 5th trip to Australia. Flew into Hobart, did car hire for 8 days, flew out of Launceston. Very nice state in Australia. Would love to go back for a longer visit!

9. kiwi
    Original Member

kiwi Gold Member

Status Points:
    Thanks for the pics.