Mon dieu! 'Love locks' on Paris bridges stir controversy

Discussion in 'Europe' started by gregm, Apr 4, 2014.  |  Print Topic

1. gregm

gregm Gold Member

Status Points:
    Ah, l'amour. For romantics in Paris, nothing says love like a padlock attached to a bridge. For some couples, "love locks" are a must.

Visitors attach a lock inscribed with the couple's initials and throw the key into the Seine. As the idea has caught on, more and more locks have showed up on bridges. Romantic gesture? Or public nuisance?

Ooh la la!

Read more: https://travel.yahoo.com/blogs/comp...paris-bridges-stir-controversy-215147637.html

Newscience likes this.
  2. Pizzaman
    Original Member

Pizzaman Co-founder

Status Points:
    I'm one of these troublemakers. We took our daughter there just over a month ago and added a lock to the Pont des Arts bridge. I didn't feel like I was ruining the city. The concerns seem a bit overblown to me. These bridges really aren't strong enough to hold the locks.

This seems like a solution searching for a real problem.

gregm and Newscience like this.
  3. Newscience

Newscience Gold Member

Status Points:
    Thanks for posting, gregm! Although Paris can hardly take credit for being the only city with a bridge loaded with "love locks". I've seen the pedestrian bridge covered with "love locks" in Kiev. This bridge gets cleaned of the "love locks" by local authorities every few months, and then completely covered with them in short order.

For a list of the many cities and countries having "love lock" bridges, see:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_locations_with_love_locks

gregm likes this.
  4. tom911
    Original Member

tom911 Gold Member

Status Points:
    I've seen the locks on the Hohenzollern rail/pedestrian bridge in Cologne. Doesn't look like they're really in the way.

[​IMG]

Newscience and gregm like this.
  5. philatravelgirl

philatravelgirl Silver Member

Status Points:
    I've been to the Paris bridge and the number of locks is insane - they fill up on both sides and then the city replaces the rails so they continue the cycle which validates the behavior. They don't talk about all the keys in the seine they leave or the vendors selling locks openly on the bridge. they should be happy it is only one bridge and not all the bridges in the city.
    I've seen locks bridges in Melbourne and Dublin they draw people to them for happy reasons and in society today happy is a good, albeit fleeting thing

6. Jenny & Curt
    Original Member

Jenny & Curt Gold Member

Status Points:
    I have always thought that maybe people who were, for one reason or another, not permitted to marry or to display their love openly, might find the "love lock" concept to be a way of filling that void. For that reason and that alone, though I find the look of the bridges better without them, I'd have to say I support them.

7. MSYgirl

MSYgirl Gold Member

Status Points:
    The first time I saw locks was in Florence at the Ponte Vecchio. There were locks chained to a railing in the covered walkway to the bridge. I can't find the picture of the locks but found these:

Italy 055 (3).jpg

Italy 054 (2).jpg

gregm and Newscience like this.
  8. daninstl

daninstl Gold Member

Status Points:
    Here in St. Louis we just spray paint the bridges and vandalize the railings :)

Seriously considering doing the whole lock thing with my wife on our next trip to Paris.

9. FetePerfection
    Original Member

FetePerfection Silver Member

Status Points:
    Working in Paris next month if anyone wants to PM me a lock - I'll "virtual" lock it for you. ;)

gregm likes this.
  10. Pizzaman
    Original Member

Pizzaman Co-founder

Status Points:
    After we put one on the fence for our daughter my wife and I did one for the two of us. It was fun and we shared a nice romantic moment. If you have time I'd recommend. It's cheesy but totally worth it.

FetePerfection, gregm and MSYgirl like this.