Mommy Points - Lap Infants on a Plane: Yay or Nay?

Discussion in 'Blogstand' started by BoardingArea, Sep 20, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. BoardingArea

BoardingArea News Feed

Status Points:
    Since I have a 20 month old kiddo, this is an issue that has been near and dear to my heart (or lap) for a while now. The question is, should you buy an airline ticket for your under-two-year-old, or save some cash (or miles) and have them ride in your lap for the duration [...]
    ©Mommy Points, a BoardingArea Blog

Continue reading...

2. jwsky
    Original Member

jwsky Silver Member

Status Points:
    I like kids and also the idea of you saving money travelling. But,I have to admit that having you sit next to me with a 20 month old kiddo on your lap for, say, three hours or more, would not
    leave me a happy camper. Maybe if the child was travelling with two or more people who could pass him or her around it would work better.

3. Scottrick
    Original Member

Scottrick Gold Member

Status Points:
    I don't mind kids. Despite being grouchy on the outside (a 50-year-old in a 25-year-old body I'm often called) I think kids are awesome. I had a screaming baby across the aisle from me flying in coach LHR-SFO direct and didn't mind it one bit. Would it have been better without? Yes. But I think the parent was having a worse time. Screaming baby is much better than annoying punk-@$$ teenagers blasting rock music on their headphones during a SEA-IAH red-eye.

4. Bob Smolinsky
    Original Member

Bob Smolinsky Gold Member

Status Points:
    Always buy a seat if you have the means..............

5. viguera
    Original Member

viguera Gold Member

Status Points:
    I think there are a lot of factors that come into play, and now that we've started flying with our 15 month old it's more obvious than before when we were "on the other side" :)

We now have to take into account aircraft type and not just seating availability. Being on an A320 or 73W is not a big deal since they have 3-3 layouts in Y, but an A330 is 2-4-2, which means nobody gets the window or we have to split up.

Preparation is everything though... we look for flights that fall around the established "nap time" and let him run around like crazy before the flight, usually walking through the airport or by the gate. A trip to the nearest place that sells strawberry-flavored milk plus an insulated bottle (so it lasts until landing) takes care of any pressure problems during take-off and landing. An iPad with a good supply of Yo Gabba Gabba or whatever show he likes to watch doubles as his IFE.

If you're a good parent and an experienced flyer, having a lap child should be more of an inconvenience to you than to your fellow passengers. An infant with his/her own seat is only for take-off / landing and (if they want) sleeping, and maybe eating, but chances are kids that young don't want to just sit there for 3+ hours anyway. I think what you see more often than not is that if parents get a seat for the child then they just expect them to sit there and fly, and that's when all the screaming and complaining starts. :)

jwsky likes this.
  6. mommypoints

mommypoints Gold Member

Status Points:
    I absolutely agree that if at all possible, all passengers should have their own seat. I also know that there are situations that families are in where it is just not financially feasible to buy an "optional" seat. We have bought (or used miles) for a seat for our daughter on every flight she has been on, except for one 30-40 minute flight that I took her on last month. I was honestly very scared in the days leading up to that flight about what would happen if there was bad turbulence and how well I could keep her safe in my arms.

I became as involved in miles and points earnings as I have so that we can travel, and so that we can usually do it with everyone in their own seat. I love hearing different opinions on this issue!