Mom of Child With Special Needs Says Airline 'Humiliated' Family

Discussion in 'General Discussion | Travel' started by uggboy, Jan 2, 2015.  |  Print Topic

1. uggboy
    Original Member

uggboy Gold Member

Status Points:

Kalboz, vickers and Newscience like this.
  2. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Status Points:
    You should see the full details. The mother was wrong in just about every way possible.

They bought seats in F for the parents and a seat in Y for the kid and then expected the kid to sit on mom's lap during the flight in violation of FAA rules.

vickers and pittguy81 like this.
  3. pittguy81

pittguy81 Active Member

Status Points:

We are such a society of headlines. No one seems to care to read the fine print of anything (news stories, FAA regulations, airline policy etc) and just reacts and the media thrives on this.
    What story will get more attention?

or

Parents violate federal rules and take out frustration on airline

4. uggboy
    Original Member

uggboy Gold Member

Status Points:
    I guess, it's all about the rules. Love it, read it, don't think. It's rules. What about people? :oops::oops::oops::oops::oops: Sure a solution would / could have been found. I guess, there's no will in this. Again, look at the rules. :(

Last edited: Jan 2, 2015
    Tom Green likes this.
  5. uggboy
    Original Member

uggboy Gold Member

Status Points:
    I'm glad that such "headlines" are produced, it's important to keep in mind such stories! ....and NO, the passenger / passengers don't have to be an "expert" in aviation rules the FAA makes, or in policies the airlines makes or ammends at will whenever they seem to look out for themselves. It's the time that the consumer is equally understood in situations such as this.

6. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Status Points:
    There are many solutions available. The parents chose to not pursue any of them. And, quite frankly, a 3 year old infant-in-arms is potentially dangerous to the other 150+ passengers on the plane should there be turbulence or such.

These are not new rules and the parents clearly knew that they needed to have the kid in a seat else they wouldn't have purchased the ticket for the kid.

7. Dublin_rfk

Dublin_rfk Gold Member

Status Points:
    Take the "special needs" out of the headline and read the complete story. It's not about the airline doing wrong it's about gaming the system!
    In this instance it appears that the parent(s) knew and understood the "rules" as they purchased a seat for the child. It also appears that they selectively applied them. Two seats in first (most likely together) and one seat in baggage. Then they are "surprised" when the owner of the baggage seat is not allowed to join them!

MX and pittguy81 like this.
  8. WilliamQ

WilliamQ Gold Member

Status Points:
    Airlines aside, if the is my family, we would either all be in F or all be in Economy. I have witness similar families with special needs all in the same class and the air crew are always accommodating. If the price is a consideration, then the seat next to the mum should be "reserved" for Ivy and then maybe Dad can sit in Economy and the 11 year old son take the Dad's seat? I suspect in this case, the air crew would have been more willing to work with the mum. I would be more sympathetic to the situation if the family had booked all tickets in the same class and the crew still gave them grief. On the other hand, did the crew offer that solution to the family?

Dublin_rfk and uggboy like this.
  9. uggboy
    Original Member

uggboy Gold Member

Status Points:
    It's MP, I guess nearly everyone here on this board or TOBB has "played" the airlines. Cheers. <<< Doesn't make the parents bad now IMHO. >>>

10. uggboy
    Original Member

uggboy Gold Member

Status Points:
    They did know, but maybe their money hasn't stretched that far or they thought about that different solutions would / could be found somehow, lets face it many people have known the "known" rules, but in the end a solution which satisfies / satisfied both parites was found. Can't be that difficult. You know...."where's a will, there's a....way" :)

Dublin_rfk likes this.
  11. Dublin_rfk

Dublin_rfk Gold Member

Status Points:
    So true.

uggboy likes this.
  12. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Status Points:
    They had already paid for two seats in F. If the money doesn't stretch that far they can all sit in Y.

I have no problem playing games with the airlines. I do have a problem when it involves violating safety regulations for personal gain while putting everyone else on the plane at risk.

And, as noted before, there were many viable solutions presented to the family. They refused all of them. Once it is clear that they're not willing to cooperate they lose any sympathy they may have garnered.

13. Dublin_rfk

Dublin_rfk Gold Member

Status Points:
    Thank you sir, as the proud owner of a baggage seat when there weren't enought F for the family.

WilliamQ and uggboy like this.
  14. WilliamQ

WilliamQ Gold Member

Status Points:
    I, my family always travel in Economy. Never up front before, except for the rare upgrade from DL. We still enjoy flying :)

uggboy likes this.
  15. uggboy
    Original Member

uggboy Gold Member

Status Points:
    Same here. Cheers. :)

WilliamQ likes this.
  16. vickers

vickers Gold Member

Status Points:
    "I don't want free flights and I'm not interested in contacting a lawyer as some people have suggested I should,” she said. “I just want the airline to apologize.”

You just want attention. And im sure a laywer will eventually become involved.

FetePerfection and uggboy like this.
  17. uggboy
    Original Member

uggboy Gold Member

Status Points:
    Involving an laywer?:oops:

Sounds like an American tradition, does it? :D

vickers and Dublin_rfk like this.
  18. Dublin_rfk

Dublin_rfk Gold Member

Status Points:
    When traveling with family (almost always mileage) the first attempt is F (I have one very spoiled +1)

uggboy and WilliamQ like this.
  19. WilliamQ

WilliamQ Gold Member

Status Points:
    And when there is only 1 seat... I can see you choosing the back right. :)

After all, Happy Wife, Happy Life!

20. Dublin_rfk

Dublin_rfk Gold Member

Status Points:
    Choose?:rolleyes: Refer to quote:)

I do on occasion come home.

uggboy and WilliamQ like this.
  21. vickers

vickers Gold Member

Status Points:
    Unfortunately, yes.......

Dublin_rfk and uggboy like this.
  22. kiwi
    Original Member

kiwi Gold Member

Status Points:
    You can't buy a ticket just for a 3 year old with no accompanying adult on UA. Therefore they must have mis-stated the age in order to purchase the ticket.