Mom died, but airline won’t refund my fee

Discussion in 'General Discussion | Travel' started by uggboy, Jun 7, 2014.  |  Print Topic

1. uggboy
    Original Member

uggboy Gold Member

Status Points:
    Mom died, but airline won’t refund my fee

2. daninstl

daninstl Gold Member

Status Points:
    Sorry you experienced this. They aren't obligated to refund anything. It's not their fault however the service should have been much better. Maybe they are jaded from people lying to them about stuff like this.

By the way I'm sorry for your loss.

LETTERBOY, uggboy and Newscience like this.
  3. Newscience

Newscience Gold Member

Status Points:
    Thanks for posting, uggboy! It's clear that the airlines need to do a death notice refund by the books, as they would otherwise be (and likely have been) scammed. But when rude or clueless airline representatives prevent this, it's a good thing that many newspapers and television news stations have "ombudsmen" that will gladly take an issue like this, and bring it to the airline's attention, on the consumers' behalf.

WilliamQ, anileze, B1BomberVB and 2 others like this.
  4. alfagirl

alfagirl Gold Member

Status Points:
    I had a trip planned to Europe a few weeks after my father died. I called American to try to reschedule - they did not offer condolences, in fact, the CSR told me that there was 'enough time' between his death and my trip, so that I should be able to travel!

5. Newscience

Newscience Gold Member

Status Points:
    FWIW, I always follow up with a major issue with any airline with a written letter. Sometimes it works to help them see things my way, and sometimes it doesn't. But, more times than not, I've been pleasantly surprised to find that there is "intelligence" at the other end, and someone who will gladly help you out. :)

WilliamQ, anileze, Counsellor and 2 others like this.
  6. alfagirl

alfagirl Gold Member

Status Points:
    Thanks. I did do that, they gave me the standard response re: their 'policy.'

Newscience and uggboy like this.
  7. marcwint55

marcwint55 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Sorry for your loss. About 8.5 years ago I flew to New York on Delta for a meeting with a change of planes in Atlanta. When I got off the plane in Atlanta, my wife called to tell me that my mother had been diagnosed with a terminal illness and they did not want to tell my mother until I arrived. I told the gate agent I needed to retrieve my baggage and get back to Los Angeles. She told me nothing could be done and I could check with special services. I did and they told me the same thing. I ended up flying to New York to retrieve my baggage as I had several thousand dollars worth of suits inside, and had to spend the night before they could get me back home. I find that airlines are often heartless in these situations.

Newscience, Counsellor and uggboy like this.
  8. About Again

About Again Gold Member

Status Points:
    isn't it an article UB posted, it's not his mother @uggboy , no one on MP's loss

anileze, edekba and uggboy like this.
  9. alfagirl

alfagirl Gold Member

Status Points:
    Yup...

anileze, uggboy and About Again like this.
  10. About Again

About Again Gold Member

Status Points:
    i was starting to wonder, when reading responses like

"By the way I'm sorry for your loss." and " Sorry for your loss":oops:

anileze, edekba and uggboy like this.
  11. euromannn
    Original Member

euromannn Gold Member

Status Points:

This is the correct way to proceed. Airlines do not like bad publicity so writing a letter directly to Customer Service manager or even the CEO usually gets some attention. It's sad process to follow as the waivers are all voluntary on airlines behalf so one must take that into account.

First start with Customer Service to get a formal rejection then BLAST that focal with all the names below!
    When ONE rejects you it's most likely POLICY caused by an upper level manager.
    Emailing ALL of them puts them on the defensive!!!

I would most likely direct Doug Parker, CEO, US AIrways/AMercian Airlines Group.

These email addresses of many US Airways Executives to gain attention:
    douglas.parker@usairways.com,
    john.romantic@usairways.com,
    robert.isom@usairways.com,
    bruce.lakefield@usairways.com,
    david.cstelveter@usairways.com,
    executive.office@usairways.com,
    brad.beakley@usairways.com,
    travis.christ@usairways.com,
    elise.eberwein@usairways.com,
    scott.kirby@usairways.com,
    suzanne.boda@usairways.com,
    kerry.hester@usairways.com,
    tom.trenga@usairways.com,
    andrew.nocella@usairways.com

Also here are the executives below. Notice email naming convention:
    Firstname.lastname@usairways.com

SO you can email anyone in the link below using that naming convention!

Good luck........AA will enjoy my legal strategy! I rarely lose the hunt for compensation!
    http://www.usairways.com/en-US/aboutus/pressroom/executivebios.html

12. newbluesea
    Original Member

newbluesea Gold Member

Status Points:
    The skeptic in me always take these stories especially when they come from bloggers or so called travel experts who (desperately) need to sell stories like Chris Elliot.:rolleyes:

Firstly here's my experience with US. About 18 months ago I purchased a ticket for relative and his wife who was diagnosed with lymphoma about two months before travel.
    I contacted US and they asked to provide a letter from his oncologist stating he would be unable to travel due to ongoing treatment, which I did
    They refunded the full cost of both tickets to my credit card.
    Secondly, four years I booked a Thanksgiving trip to Germany with my wife and close family friend (he had not been back there since the war) some months before the trip he died during what was considered routine surgery. The trip was booked on AA and I sent in a obituary notice clipping from a local paper and they refunded the C class ticket in full.

So much for the bad old money grubbing greedy heartless airlines one reads about (here?) :)

Last edited: Jun 7, 2014
  13. About Again

About Again Gold Member

Status Points:
    good Euro, have you the email addresses of all the directors at IHG?:)

14. FetePerfection
    Original Member

FetePerfection Silver Member

Status Points:
    Thankfully there are compassion stories out there as well...if not, this would be a pretty pitiful world to live in.

blackjack-21 and alfagirl like this.
  15. anileze

anileze Gold Member

Status Points:
    I agree on the first to some extent :)

The key has always been the proof - e.g. Newspaper clipping, or a printed notice from a validated source ike a funeral home, or death certificate. Many people, in their moments of grief and emotionally vulnerable state forget that important aspect of change or refund business.

LETTERBOY, newbluesea and About Again like this.
  16. alfagirl

alfagirl Gold Member

Status Points:
    I am glad that you were refunded twice.
    And I am also offended. I am not a blogger or travel expert, just sharing my true, personal experience.
    AA did't even ask for a death certificate or any proof. BTW we were in 'F' on a 777.
    Who said anything about 'money grubbing greedy heartless airlines?'

About Again likes this.
  17. newbluesea
    Original Member

newbluesea Gold Member

Status Points:
    I am sorry you are offended but my comments were directed as referenced to the original article as posted by the OP

I am sure the airlines had heard multiple of versions of all sorts of sob stories imaginable. From my perspective as stated above one is likely to be more successful by writing in and possibly attaching some sort of proof even if not totally inconclusive, but to the proper department rather than talk to some agent on the phone.
    In the case of AA its Advantage Customer Service, which in my experience has been often quite receptive to matters such as these.

LETTERBOY likes this.
  18. euromannn
    Original Member

euromannn Gold Member

Status Points:
    Well.AA
    ......let's take a shot as will make an assumption the Richie Solomons name convention is the same for all:

1. Mr Richard Solomons
    CEO - IHG
    Emailrichard.solomons@ihg.com
    2. Here are all of the executives:
    http://www.ihgplc.com/index.asp?pageid=35

3. Notice email naming convention:
    Firstname.lastname@ihg.com

That will be 3 days free stay at the vacation Mecca in Australia that you own that you wish I occupy until the food and beer run dry!

About Again likes this.
  19. About Again

About Again Gold Member

Status Points:
    OK, now what will you trade for a campaign for me?:)

euromannn likes this.
  20. euromannn
    Original Member

euromannn Gold Member

Status Points:
    OK, now what will you trade for a campaign for me?

Must be my fake Aussie accent but I can't translate how you attended the Mecca!

River runs dry if more float with the current!

About Again likes this.
  21. About Again

About Again Gold Member

Status Points:
    at least you're consistent Euro, i always have difficulty following your communications, would it help if i spoke in cockney?

22. euromannn
    Original Member

euromannn Gold Member

Status Points:
    I don't think I need any "chicken" to understand.

As for my communications Socrates was also a barrier for you?

About Again likes this.
  23. About Again

About Again Gold Member

Status Points:
    :) he was before my time

how about this one?

24. alfagirl

alfagirl Gold Member

Status Points:
    Again, I did also write and send a copy of the death certificate to AA (noting the 2 CSRs responses) and got the standard 'policy' reply..., no condolences, refund, nada, nyet, zilch....

25. Boraxo

Boraxo Silver Member

Status Points:
    Sorry for your loss. I had a similar situation when my brother was stricken with a brain aneurysm when I was on vacation in Kauai. Everyone at AS was very sympathetic including one of the most compassionate FAs I have ever encountered (the flight back was emotionally draining as he was still in the ICU). The airport agent even found us 2 F seats as we had originally upgraded with MVP-G certs. However they refused to waive the change fee - I was told "this is why we offer travel insurance." At first I kind of resented that answer but over time I have come to agree. It is not the airlines fault when bad things happen to family members. They sell a product with a limited shelf life and will lose money if they can't resell the seat last minute. as a general proposition the insurance is a loser's bet but it's always an option just as you can buy life insurance. To be fair I think that you should not be upcharged for her fare differential on your new last minute return ticket but I get the change fee.

IDGflygirl, About Again and uggboy like this.