Molokai Tips

Discussion in 'Hawaii' started by misman, Jun 3, 2018.

1. misman
    Original Member

misman Gold Member

Status Points:
    I created this post as a PM for another poster, but decided that Destination Travel - Hawaii may benefit.

Molokai Locals
    Are a great bunch of people. The motto is "don't change Molokai; let Molokai change you," and we could not agree more. Just be laid back and understand that everything works on Molokai time, and you will have a great time with the locals. They love to talk about their island, and want to know about you. The only issue that we had was Halawa Beach Park on Memorial Day. The vibe from the locals there was that we were not welcome, but there was no open hostility.

Getting There & Back
    Can be more tricky than one would think. Hawaiian has 2-3 flights per day from HNL, but the MKK locals find them to be the least reliable. Makani Kai flies multiple flights/day from HNL and OGG, and run about $50 ow plus luggage. These are small (9-passenger) plans that depart & arrive outside security. We'll be using Makani Kai for our next trip. Mokulele also has multiple flights/day from HNL and OGG. HNL is < 20-min flight and OGG is even shorter!

It is recommended that you depart MKK the day before your mainland flight due to what is known as the "M" factor. (Our HNL-MKK flight was turned back to HNL for a mechanical, and our rental car battery died. Things just happen on Molokai!) We positioned ourselves on OGG the day before our flight home which gave us a perfect transition back to real life.

Rental Cars
    You can get seriously ripped off with Alamo, or you can use one of the locals: Mobettah Car Rentals or Molokai Car Rental. Both of these will provide a well-used rental car at the airport; they don't have a lot. They'll text you the car description and you just drive.

We used Molokai Car Rental, and were pretty satisfied. The rate was $500 for almost two weeks compared to Alamo's $800! (We had a 2007 Toyota Yaris that got 38mpg... that was great for gas at $4.95 & $4.97/gal.) Molokai Car Renal also rents bicycles (cruisers,) but I did not inquire on the rate.

Lodging
    This is getting a little more difficult. There are a few hotel-type places, but they are rather expensive and are nothing special. You can find lodging through AirBnB, VRBO, etc., which I would highly recommend with one caveat... the county is not renewing rental permits in many locations. Our beach house on the East end is no longer taking reservations because the permit was not renewed; didn't hear anything about the condo on the West end (Paniolo Hale,) so that are may not be a problem.

Dining
    Hope you like to cook for yourself because there is not much around. You can find some places on Yelp!, but I would recommend stopping at Friendly's Market and stocking up. (I also recommend that you bring some things from home like a small salt/pepper shaker and pasta.) Some prices (like pasta) will shock, others will be comparable to shopping at Whole Foods.

We experienced Molokai Pizza, Ono Seafood, and Mana'e Goodz & Grindz, and would recommend all three. Kanemitsu's Bakery has great bread, donuts, and hot bread, but we never actually had a meal there.

Shopping
    Kumu Farms for veggies/fruit
    Street vendors in town for veggies/fruit
    Molokai Livestock Co-Op for Beef (and maybe pork & venison)
    Friendly's Market for general groceries
    Kanemitsu's Bakery for all baked goods (check out the hot bread nightly @ 7:00)

Go with the Flow
    You don't go to Molokai expecting to have a lot of things to do. Sure, there are a few touristy things to do, but Molokai is about experiencing Molokai. Everything will be expensive; things will go wrong at times; but just enjoy Molokai and you will have a great time. (We arrived on Saturday, and I was so relaxed by Sunday afternoon that I was like jelly!)

Summary
    Great trip for relaxation, but there are some challenges. Expect great views, but the water is not always swim friendly... and there are lots of rocks. Many places take credit cards, but we burned through more cash than expected (Bank of Hawai'i and American Savings Bank both have ATMs in town.) Plan ahead; use a local car company and, secure a place through VRBO, etc. Then, sit back and let Molokai change you!

2. cvsara
    Original Member

cvsara Gold Member

Status Points:
    Quite a few of the locals, as well as visitor's who stay a week or more, will make a stop at Costco, Target, on Maui or Oahu, and bring their foods along. Cooking in is not a bad way to go on any of the islands. Especially breakfast and dinner.

misman likes this.
  3. misman
    Original Member

misman Gold Member

Status Points:
    That's the truth. We hit Costco at LIH to transport some things. Just have to watch the luggage weight limits!

Sent from my LG-M322 using InsideFlyer mobile app