Mokulele and Island Air continue to nip at the heels of Hawaiian

Discussion in 'Hawaiian Airlines | HawaiianMiles' started by avflyer, Jul 2, 2014.  |  Print Topic

1. avflyer
    Original Member

avflyer Silver Member

Status Points:
  2. PointsCashMiles

PointsCashMiles Silver Member

Status Points:
    Nice! always happy to see more options between the islands.

3. avflyer
    Original Member

avflyer Silver Member

Status Points:
    Well, if it only were. As you know, HA has all the major routes wrapped up..HNL-to anywhere, etc etc. These routes that the article refers to are just little commuter routes without much density. It will take someone with very large huevos to come in and challenge HA directly. I just paid $200 for a HNL-KOA flight. Cost me less than $600 to get to HNL from YUL....there is just something wrong with this picture. My guess is that HA could fill their airplanes and make money with $100 fares....but who am I to know?

Goldlust and PointsCashMiles like this.
  4. Goldlust

Goldlust Active Member

Status Points:
    I flew two flights with Mokulele recently (HNL-JHM and JHM-KOA). I did not feel safe flying with them. Not because of anything they did or did not do but a 1-propeller aircraft is not at all safe when compared with a Jumbo-jet. To me, every turbulence in such a small plane feels like you are going to crash.

Which is what they did not too long ago in a crash that killed the Hawaii health director on 11 December 2013:

State Health Director killed in plane crash, 8 others survive

A few month before that, they had another crash on 23 October 2013:

Plane blows engine, loses power: 'We're gonna crash!'

5. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

HaveMilesWillTravel Gold Member

Status Points:
    I flew Mokulele a couple years ago, from HNL to Lanai. Turns out I was the only passenger on the plane, which was a fun experience. Not the first time I was on that type of airplane; they fly'em around Belize, too.

I felt perfectly safe on my private plane. Suspect The Bus I took from Waikiki to HNL exposed me to greater risk.

Goldlust likes this.
  6. Goldlust

Goldlust Active Member

Status Points:
    We were only 4 from JHM to KOA with excellent view of the volcanoes. Quite impressive but I still felt scared.