Modhop.com Trip - "Germodhop I"

Discussion in 'Trip Reports' started by modhop, Jan 3, 2014.  |  Print Topic

1. modhop

modhop Silver Member

Status Points:
    We do senseless trips that often defy the rules of mileage running and baffle traditional tourists that actually like to stay somewhere for more than a day. Like many here, my reports won't likely have pictures of UNESCO World Heritage sites or anything of traditional beauty. What it does have are descriptions, videos and links to Modhop reviews of planes, lounges and hotels.

This was a trip I took to sample upgraded economy seats aboard airberlin in January of 2013. A low fare was offered between New York and Dusseldorf, so I jumped on it. We named the trek "Germodhop". Here's how it all went...

JFK-DUS: aboard an Air Berlin A330-200 in an "XL" seat This is one of just 1 or 2 airberlin A330-200′s that are configured this way. Row 29 is the exit on this one and we’re on the aisle in 29B.

(See the full review.)

Once at Dusseldorf Airport, I checked into the Sheraton Dusseldorf Airport Hotel located right outside the terminal. It's very easy to find and offers day rates for naps between flights. Check out our full review at modhop:

http://www.modhop.com/video-sheraton-dusseldorf-airport-hotel-superior-queen-room/

DUS-FRA: After a nap it was off to Frankfurt via Deutche Bahn. We hop a DB ICE Train in both the quiet and normal cabins of first class. Here's our video look at a typical seat in first:

(See the full review.)

On our arrival at Frankfurt, it was straight to the lounge. We needed a landside lounge since our flight on Lufthansa (Cityline) from Dusseldorf had ben cancelled. (The orginal plan was to fly there and train back but the cancellation forced us to get creative...sort of.). We found a Priority Pass affiliate lounge that fit the bill. Here's a link to the full video and writeup:

http://www.modhop.com/video-luxx-lounge-frankfurt-international-fra/

FRA-DUS: Then it was back on the train. This time I sprung for the "quiet car". It didn't make a ton of sense on such a late-night trek back to Dusseldorf but it sure was quiet.

(See the full review.)

After a few hours of sleep back at the Sheraton Airport Dusseldorf Hotel, it was time to get back up and into another lounge. Priority Pass and some other lounge programs give you access to a couple of lounges here. We chose the AirBerlin lounge.

(See the full review.)

DUS-JFK: Finally, we hopped aboard our flight back to JFK. This time aboard a more typical airberlin A330-200 in exit "XL" seat 36H and was dissappointed at much of what we found. Read my slightly cranky review and watch the video at...http://www.modhop.com/video-airberlin-airbus-a330-200-xl-seat-36h/

I failed to record, document or stay awake for the cab ride home.

violist, MSYgirl and uggboy like this.