Modesty protected by new airport body scanner at Sydney Airport

Discussion in 'Travel Security' started by Chimpy, Aug 1, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. Chimpy
    Original Member

Chimpy Gold Member

Status Points:
    From the Australian

PASSENGERS will be "very relaxed" about the new full-body scanner at Sydney Airport, insists federal Transport Minister Anthony Albanese.

“When people see what this technology is, they will be very relaxed about its introduction,” he told reporters at the airport.

The machine, which will be trialled in Sydney for just under three weeks from tomorrow, produces a generic outline of a passenger and detects non-metal items under clothing.

“We live in an unsafe world ... we believe we need to keep up with new technology and address all the problems there are before us,” Mr Albanese said before trying out the body scanner himself.

The scanner was perfectly safe, he said, adding that a person would have to go through it 10,000 times to be exposed to the same amount of radio frequency energy as during an average mobile phone call.

[More here: http://www.theaustralian.com.au/new...ort-body-scanner/story-e6frg6nf-1226106032778 ]

2. gobluetwo
    Original Member

gobluetwo Silver Member

Status Points:
  3. Captain Oveur
    Original Member

Captain Oveur Gold Member

Status Points:
    Gee, I wonder why they didn't make an announcement beforehand.

4. PhlyingRPh
    Original Member

PhlyingRPh Silver Member

Status Points:
    I don't care how unsafe they think the world is - and I don't care if they put an avatar of King Dong over my body to protect my already rather modest modesty, I'm still not using it.

Chimpy and Mrs Chimpy like this.
  5. tom911
    Original Member

tom911 Gold Member

Status Points:
    I've avoided them in London and across the U.S. so far but eventually I'll have to go through one in London as they don't let you opt out from the reports I've read.

Worst two lines in the story:

Chimpy likes this.