Mobile Site Says Upgrade Cleared; Flew in Original Seat

Discussion in 'United Airlines | MileagePlus' started by adexpert, Mar 13, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. adexpert
    Original Member

adexpert Silver Member

Status Points:
    I flew on UA741 the other night ORD-SFO on a 3-cabin 767 as a 1K - incidentally my first upgrade eligible flight since the computer system change.

When I checked the mobile site shortly before departure, it showed that my upgrade had in fact cleared with a seat assignment but I ended up flying the flight in my original seat. When I walked by the seat the mobile site says I was assigned, it looked like someone had sat there.

This isn't the end of the world for me or anything by any stretch, I had a exit row seat and I sat and worked for 4 hours, but, I'm not sure exactly how the accounting worked out being that all of the F/C cabin seats appeared to have been occupied. Has this happened to others?

TAHKUCT likes this.
  2. 80921KennyG

80921KennyG New Member

Status Points:
    Understand your pain, happpened twice since the merger date of 3MAR12. Being bumped by Continential P flyers - what gives United?

3. Hannaman
    Original Member

Hannaman Silver Member

Status Points:
    GG OVS DOWNGRADE

theBOAT likes this.
  4. nelsoji
    Original Member

nelsoji Silver Member

Status Points:
    Had same issue. I couldn't even print my boarding pass at the airport as it said there was an error in my itinerary - somehow it got reset and I was no longer in first. It was a 2 hour flight so not the end of the world for me either, but I would have been a little more torqued ORD-SFO as OP pointed out. Mine actually happened before the merger, twice in a row on a friday flying ORF-ORD - I have now learned to print my boarding pass before getting to airport :)

5. adambadam
    Original Member

adambadam Silver Member

Status Points:
    I had the same issue happen. I booked a flight two hours before departure. I was number six on the upgrade list when I checked in with F almost fully booked. I figured I didn't have a chance. At the airport I was somehow number two with first checked in full. I get to the gate and my brother (who I was flying with and who is also a 1P though who had a ticket booked much more in advance and whose upgrade cleared at the window) said my name was just called. Needless to say the podium was a mess. I was using a mobile boarding pass so I pull out my phone and see that my new ticket had loaded (2E). Yea technology! I turn to my brother and say I got it at which point the GA goes "are you Mr. Adambadam?" I answer and he says something messed up the upgrade and that there was "a 1K in front of me that should have cleared" and that he was going to put me back to my original seat. He didn't know how to do that apparently as when I tried to board three minutes later the machine beeped at the other GA and she couldn't find my ticket and the first GA had to just tell her to let me through. My brother texts me from the front of the plane as boarding is ending that there are still two seats open in F. Needless to say they went out empty.

It was a short flight so I didn't make an issue of it on the ground. Though my best guess is that the computer worked the way it was suppose to and that is why I as number two on the upgrade list actually got processed for an upgrade when there were two seats left and then the GA was misinformed/didn't know how to handle the new system to realize those in front of me on the list were already processed. Hopefully someday everyone will understand the new software.

The flip side of the argument is that the flight also did not leave right on time due to a separate issue so I was slightly peeved they didn't take a moment to fill up F as they were getting that sorted out after boarding was completed.

6. adexpert
    Original Member

adexpert Silver Member

Status Points:
    Even more interesting - I just looked at my MP activity on ua.com, and this flight which I missed the upgrade on posted as a Z fare with 1.5x EQM/S and 3x RDM.