mobile phones in japan

Discussion in 'General Discussion | Travel' started by Tmum, Feb 25, 2013.  |  Print Topic

1. Tmum

Tmum New Member

Status Points:
    Hi

I have heard that australian mobile phones can't be use in Japan and there are mobile phones for hire.Where can mobile phones be hired (ie Osaka) and are the phone setting etc in english? how much does it cost to hire a mobile? is it a weekly hire?

Hope you're able to help. thanks

2. NYCUA1K

NYCUA1K Gold Member

Status Points:
    When I last went to Japan (Kyoto) a couple of years ago I had a DROID2 GLOBAL phone (now upgraded to DROID4 GLOBAL) that worked just fine because it could automatically switch between GSM and CDMA networks (the DROID4 is 4G but can also switch to 3G). So depending on the technology in your phone (can't be GSM), it may work. For more info, including renting (there are kiosks at most airports where you can rent a phone), check here:
    BTW, Welcome to MP, Tmum! :)

3. sobore
    Original Member

sobore Gold Member

Status Points:
  4. HiIslands
    Original Member

HiIslands Silver Member

Status Points:
    I've rented a phone from SoftBank several times. Pick -up and return is fast and easy, especially if you reserve online in advance. Also, they have a wide variety of plans and pricing options:

http://www.softbank-rental.jp/e/

Have fun in Japan!

5. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

HaveMilesWillTravel Gold Member

Status Points:

While I never tried the voice feature (don't have a cheap roaming plan for voice), I had absolutely no problems using Softbank's (and other carriers that I forget) data service via roaming using my US AT&T most-definitely-not-CDMA iPhone 3G and iPhone 4 in multiple cities of Japan. It worked better than here in Silicon Valley.