Mobile Alerts - Anyone use them?

Discussion in 'Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles' started by TexARN, Feb 15, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. I recall using them for a while a few years back, but would seem to get the alerts well after it was too late to do anything about it. Is it any better these days? Thanks!

2. RSSrsvp
    Original Member

RSSrsvp Silver Member

Status Points:
    I receive text alerts for all my flights (not just on DL). IMHO they are received in a timely fashion.

3. DYKWIA
    Original Member

DYKWIA Silver Member

Status Points:
    Ever since they ported my info from nwa.com I have yet to receive a text alert from Delta. (I've verified my info at delta.dumb several times.) Thankfully tripit has filled the void.

4. RSSrsvp
    Original Member

RSSrsvp Silver Member

Status Points:
    Have you tried deleting all of your information and then logging out, followed by logging in and re-entering it? Make sure to clear out your cache before each step as a precaution.

Points likes this.
  5. DYKWIA
    Original Member

DYKWIA Silver Member

Status Points:
    Thanks for the tips, but it's not worth it: you can no longer set alerts by device and specific time-frame (ie: via email from midnight-6Am, via phone call during business hours, via text anytime.) It's amazing how backwards we went with delta.dumb in this regard.

I also miss traveler profiles for people I book travel for (saved passport info, contact info, FF#, etc.)

Points likes this.
  6. Points
    Original Member

Points Silver Member

Status Points:
    I get e-mail alerts on a pretty timely and accurate basis.

7. TheMadBrewer
    Original Member

TheMadBrewer Silver Member

Status Points:
    +1 for TripIt (I've upgraded to Pro). Whenever there have been issues I've received an alert from Tripit or FlightAlert before an email from Delta.

Skyvillager likes this.
  8. Skyvillager
    Original Member

Skyvillager Silver Member

Status Points:
    FWIW, somehow I've managed so far without using mobile alerts, but it is subject to change.

9. Frozentech
    Original Member

Frozentech Silver Member

Status Points:
    I also prefer TripIt Pro. I've never failed to receive alerts, and they always arrive before the ones from Delta.com. More than once I have gotten gate change alerts before gate agents knew there *was* a change. I've gotten "DLXXXX CANCELLED" as soon as I turn my phone on after landing also [​IMG] It's useful for tracking car and hotel reservation info too, for that matter.

10. Tkey
    Original Member

Tkey Silver Member

Status Points:
    DL really should be able to send the info in a timely, useful manner. Thy usually do, but I just don't trust its accuracy enough.

If I traveled more, I'd give Trip It Pro a shot if only as a consolidator of info so I don't have to get messages from many different sources.

11. Travel2Food
    Original Member

Travel2Food Silver Member

Status Points:
    Mine have tended to be OK, though I admit that I haven't experienced it during a day with heavy travel disruption. AA's alerts work perfectly fine - can't remember one that I've missed. In both cases, though, I have it set to email me (rather than SMS text) so I get them on my Crackberry.

12. DisneyDude
    Original Member

DisneyDude Active Member

Status Points:
    I always set up the 'individual' alerts by flight, rather than relying on the profile setting. These work great, I often get delay or gate change notices before they appear on the board at the gate. My big beef with DL is that you have to have the alert number to cancel, why can I not go in and see all the alerts assigned to me and cancel or modify that way. I try to store the number in my computer calendar, but recently I cancelled (and deleted) a complicated itinerary, forgetting to cancel the alerts. So now I will end up getting alerts at all sorts of strange hours. Hopefully those flights do not have any delays, as that adds to the messages.

13. Pharaoh
    Original Member

Pharaoh Gold Member

Status Points:
    Don't use them on DL but last month I had to get to SJU on AA and, for some dumb reason, set the alerts to my wife's phone. Big mistake!

They alerted her to everything, almost to the point of letting her know the bags were removed from the aircraft, the bags are on the conveyor, the bags are about to be on the carousel, the bags are on the carousel..... She was frustrated because she couldn't get in touch with me easily. Lost a couple of domestic status points on that...

14. sterno24
    Original Member

sterno24 Silver Member

Status Points:
    I haven't been able to get either the SMS or email alerts to work...even after resetting everything.
    Like others...have found that TripIt Pro to be a great way to keep everything together.