Mo' fun in Mauritius

Discussion in 'Africa' started by Wandering Aramean, Mar 14, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Status Points:
    I figured we could use a little trip through the joys of Mauritius here, especially since I was just there 3 weeks ago. :D

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

This was the trip where my camera ate my card so it is a miracle I even got these back from it. Not great quality, but they give a decent feel for the island.

And you can watch 24 hours condensed into 5 minutes here:

The trip was actually a lot of fun, with the exception of the folks at SAA extorting an extra $305 from me at the airport to fly. The hotels on the island seem to be mostly resort deals which I'm not a huge fan of but it got the job done for us. And having a car to explore on our own made a HUGE difference. Well worth the investment (~$100a/i including petrol for the day).

If you want to read more about the trip start here: http://boardingarea.com/blogs/thewanderingaramean/2011/03/spending-a-day-in-mauritius-part-1/.

mattsteg, LXofSweden and Gargoyle like this.
  2. mattsteg
    Original Member

mattsteg Gold Member

Status Points:
    My wife and I just booked a trip this week with an itinerary including Mauritius for next year. Like your visit, it'll be a bit shorter than normal due to time constraints on our end - several days split between Reunion and Mauritius. We wanted to avoid the huge-resort situation you speak of for a few days by starting out at Reunion, and then finish up with some time on Mauritius. Probably 2-3 days on Mauritius. Right now, the main stuff we're looking to do is similar to what you did, but on a less compressed schedule.

Any advice on things you'd like to hit up if you were to go to Mauritius again? I'll review your trip report regarding what you did see while there. We're looking for a mixture of natural and cultural attractions, plus I imagine a little bit of beach time. Not huge beach/resort people overall - we spent our honeymoon in the Caribbean...but primarily on an island that doesn't really have any beaches (Saba).

Wandering Aramean likes this.
  3. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Status Points:
    For nature and cultural activities in Mauritius you are definitely going to want to rent a car. Hopefully you can handle driving on the "wrong" side of the road. ;)

There are a couple areas that are definitely worth visiting, both of which are also UNESCO World Heritage Sites. The museum at Aapravasi Ghat is pretty cool and is downtown where there are other things to see/do as well, including the postal museum and a market. The waterfront there is also reasonably nice. The Le Morne Cultural Landscape is a nature area about an hour south of there which is quite pretty but there isn't much to "do" while there. The beach across the street from there is quite nice and calm, with trees just on-shore to provide shade, too.

As for avoiding the mega-resorts, there are plenty of smaller properties available to stay at. They just aren't affiliated with western brands. If you can get over the points issue there finding a hotel more in town than on the beach shouldn't be a problem at all. As an added bonus you'll be able to go out for meals off-property much more easily with this approach, which should result in better food at a much more reasonable price.

One full 24 hour day was a bit rushed to see everything and feel like we were relaxing as well. In 48 hours I think you could see the stuff I saw and be very relaxed about it. With 72 hours I'd expect you will likely start to get antsy if you aren't into beaches.

4. mattsteg
    Original Member

mattsteg Gold Member

Status Points:
    Sounds just about right for our style. Some time for beachy-island stuff, some time for nature/culture. We'll probably lean toward redeeming points on Mauritius (on vacation I'm not going to care much about earning them), depending on what's available. As this will be the more laid-back portion of the trip, some "resort" time is fine and anticipated, although I don't anticipate spending a ton of time on-property. Smaller resorts are preferred, but on the shore/beach is still a good thing. In terms of beach-time, in general we're more likely to walk along an empty beach than lie in the sun at a full one. Accessibility to non-resort stuff is the main concern, and shouldn't be a big deal with a car. Off-property meals are certainly preferred, in general.

Definitely a trip and destination we're looking forward to, after far too long with busy schedules interfering with travel.

5. geneoliver

geneoliver Member

Status Points:
    Thanks for sharing.