Mixing and Matching for One Big Trip

Discussion in 'Newbies' started by Markol19, Oct 10, 2013.  |  Print Topic

1. Markol19

Markol19 New Member

Status Points:
    Hi,

I apologize if I'm going against protocol by creating a new thread for a rather specific question, but I've created quite a tangle of frequent flyer programs and loyalty programs.

Essentially, after a 2-3 year period of heavy traveling and spending, I find myself with a lot of points and miles spread across a number of programs that aren't entirely compatible.

I would be curious to hear thoughts about consolidation, especially given what I'm attempting to accomplish.

Some time in late 2014 I'd like to take my significant other to Chengdu, which is served by a number of European (BAA - KLM), Middle Eastern (Ethiad - Qatar) and Asian (Singapore - ANA - Asiana) carriers.

I've got HSBC Rewards (~75k), AMEX Rewards (~60k), SPG Points (~20k) as well as smaller amounts (>50k) of miles on UA, USAir, and Virgin. I've got Gold status on Delta and about 80k miles left, although those don't seem particularly useful for a trip to Asia.

Have any of you all ever combined miles across multiple programs? Are you concerned that you might steadily lose value for the sake of consolidation?

Any insights would be appreciated!

2. Jimgotkp
    Original Member

Jimgotkp Gold Member

Status Points:
    Tough to move those points around, especially with the points you have.

My recommendation is to take advantage of US Air's 100% shared bonus miles promo so that you have 90K miles in total. This is enough for a round-trip Biz ticket to Chengdu. You can even add a stopover in N. Asia or Europe to/from there.

After that I recommend focusing on a few programs. The best would be AMEX and Chase since they give you flexibility with transfers. However, I will recommend Chase over AMEX because United doesn't charge YQ like most of AMEX's transfer partners.

edekba likes this.
  3. Markol19

Markol19 New Member

Status Points:
    Thanks for the information - so, if I understand correctly, if I combined my SPG points with my US Air miles, I'll have roughly 60k US Air to work with. If I share 50k with my fiancee, she'll ultimately end up with 100k - which would be enough to get a biz class ticket to China (presumably via a codeshare)?

4. Jimgotkp
    Original Member

Jimgotkp Gold Member

Status Points:
    How many US Air miles do you have before combining the SPG points? You just need to have 45K miles pre-bonus since it will become 90K after the transfer.