Mixed class booking to get a OW transpac, possible?

Discussion in 'Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles' started by joefouch, Feb 27, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. joefouch

joefouch Silver Member

Status Points:
    Flying NRT-LAX in July. My daughter will be along, and while we currently have a JL J award set up to take us back, which should be fine, we are big fans of the 77L up front which is currently serving the route. DL doesn't seem interested in offering cheap one-way fares, so I began playing around:

ITA searches will offer me outbound in M [with Z wide open] and a return in U that would be likely thrown away. This would be about $1850 right now. [There's even a child discount!]

Is this a real option? If so, who can book it? Thanks. Under $2k, plus 25k SM seems pretty reasonable.

2. techguru
    Original Member

techguru Silver Member

Status Points:
    Yes I've done this not intentionally, but called after I arrived because client had an issue was told the U part was worth about 40 dollars after 150 change fee, and we were good. I would contrary to many people call and let them know be courteous, and generally if isn't a habit they are good about it.

3. joefouch

joefouch Silver Member

Status Points:
    So the original booking was done thru DL itself? Should I just call with the rules, codes, etc. and give it a shot?

Not sure there would be any $ left over [U fare leg is JPY29k and cancellation is 30k], but that would be a bonus.

4. techguru
    Original Member

techguru Silver Member

Status Points:
    I would fly the segments you need, and THEN call and explain you need to cancel the return. I have found Delta to be responsive to this. I say something like, "I just want to free up a seat, and I can't make the date." they ask if they can rebook, and I just say I've had to make other arrangements. This has worked for me a couple of times in the past I don't abuse it, but I do end up doing this a couple times a year. I do end up having about 400 segments a year so perhaps that is why they are so nice.