Mixed Cabin Award or Two One-Ways?

Discussion in 'Star Alliance' started by Stranger in the Alps, Feb 7, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. Stranger in the Alps

Stranger in the Alps Active Member

Status Points:
    My wife and I are heading to Europe next spring and I'm trying to figure out the best way to construct our flights. We'll be flying MCI-CDG outbound, then FLR-MCI on the way back.

I'll be using United miles to book a Star Alliance award. I'd like to fly business class on the way to Paris, then coach on the way back from Florence. Is it possible to do an open-jaw, round-trip award with two different cabins like this? Or should I just plan on booking two one-way awards, one business and one coach?

If anyone is wondering, I don't want to do business on both legs simply to conserve some miles. But on the first leg, it'd be nice to have it to get some sleep.

tondoleo likes this.
  2. tondoleo
    Original Member

tondoleo Gold Member

Status Points:
    I think you answered your own question.

3. Stranger in the Alps

Stranger in the Alps Active Member

Status Points:
    I'm guessing you think I talked myself into two one-ways? Just making sure it's the best option -- I've heard from people who have problems with international one-way tickets, or if there are itinerary changes, etc.

tondoleo likes this.
  4. MDDCFlyer

MDDCFlyer Silver Member

Status Points:
    The down side of two one-ways is the lack of a stop-over and double redeposit fees. I am not sure how United is treating it currently, but in the past such mixed redemption was charged the highest rate if redeemed as one ticket.

If you sure you are going to take the trip (or do not have redeposit due to status), and do not need a stop-over, I will take the two one-ways. It gives you much more flexibility in changing the itinerary if needed.

5. cvarming
    Original Member

cvarming Silver Member

Status Points:
    I will always try to book awards as round trip awards. That minimizes fees associated with my trips.

6. MDDCFlyer

MDDCFlyer Silver Member

Status Points:
    But also minimize your flexibility. Once the trip had begun you cannot make changes any more. With two OW, you can still make changes to the inbound section (for free, if more than 21 days out).

7. yaychemistry

yaychemistry Silver Member

Status Points:
    I'm about to leave on a trip that is booked as a mixed-cabin round trip (Y outbound w stopover, open-jaw F return) that I booked on CO (I think that the new United uses CO's award booking engine). So booking a mixed cabin RT is certainly an option. The main downside is the difficulty with changing your flights once travel has begun, but I believe you are allowed unlimited changes for free up to 21 days before your travel begins.

harvson3 likes this.
  8. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Status Points:
    This is not at all the case with the new UA program. You can change even after travel has begun. And you can book mixed itineraries that are different classes of service in each direction, paying only the actual redemption rates that you'd expect.

The 21 day rule still applies for free changes for non-status members, but changes can be made inside that window for a fee where desired.