Mission: Farfetch'd! CI C + JL F + HERROKITTY

Discussion in 'Trip Reports' started by kraven, Feb 16, 2017.  |  Print Topic

1. kraven
    Original Member

kraven Silver Member

Status Points:
    July 2016. A new augmented reality app has been released: Pokemon Go!
    February 2017. You think nobody's gonna play it anymore? Think twice! Yes, all the normies have stopped playing, but the pr0gamers still battling until today.
    You might know it, there are a few Pokemon which are region-specific. US and Europe ones were quite easy to catch, the flight to Straya is already booked. This leaves only one region open: Asia.

Let it begin:

[​IMG]

MISSION FARFETCH'D!!!!!1111111

This tiny duck only spawns in Hong Kong, Taiwan and Japan at time of planning. Taiwan suited me quite nice when I visited it for the first time last year and I crave for some fresh sushi, so why not combine both?

As a flight to Taiwan (Note: Like Japan, but the girls are bit more ugly) I found a nice opportunity on China Airlines which offer direct flights from FRA on their spanking new 777-300.

The interior looks quite harmonic and not as overloaded as some opponents in the Middle East.

[​IMG]

The amenity kit also contains a sticker, but the plane doesn't fit...

[​IMG]

Unfortunately, the flight times are not that friendly: Departure at eleven, landing at 6. Now, let's look what's on offer today.

[​IMG]

Yeah, you see it correctly: You can mix your Ginger Ale with Blue Label here in Business Class as well! Until then this was only possible when visiting the BA Flounge.

The rest of the menu was quite okay. Nothing fancy, just good, solid food.

[​IMG]

2. kraven
    Original Member

kraven Silver Member

Status Points:
    We start with some liver stuff and champagne before heading to fish, combined with fish and salad.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The Riesling which was offered on board tasted quite well and harmonized quite well with the next course, soup.

[​IMG]

As main I'd chosen prawns in ginger sauce. Nothing special though, but solid.

[​IMG]

One of the main advantages of the CI 777 is the in-flight-self-service-bar. There are small compartments where you can take fruits, snacks, cake and Nespresso capsules. You could also try several Taiwanese teas, all of them quite delicious.
    And there is music on the loo. I never took a dump hearing "my heart will go on" in an instrumental version before.

Two hours before landing, breakfast was served. Congee of course.

[​IMG]

3. kraven
    Original Member

kraven Silver Member

Status Points:
    CI's Business Class is a quite good product. Of course there is room to improve (pyjamas, food), but the seat is so damn comfy and there is a lot of storage space. 8/10 would fly again.

Immigration to Taoyuan is chaotic as usual, nearly as worse as arriving in the last BA plane of the day into FRA. Time to buy a local SIM and head into city, but first let me mark my territory!

[​IMG]

After some research I had bet on the local Pokemon online map, but sadly it shut down just days prior to my trip. So I had to download a local crowdsourced app. So I roamed around through the inner city, searching for that bird. The first two attempts failed, I arrived to late. So I decided it's time for lunch first. Tasty beef noodle soup near the Taipei 101.

[​IMG]

While eating I looked on the radar. And I saw it just two metro stations away. Jackpot! Time for some Blitzkrieg!
    I ran out of the mall into the subway, heading for the spawn. 3 minutes left.

[​IMG]

One block further, I finally caught it!

[​IMG]

Now's it's time for some sightseeing. I went to the Beitou Hot Springs. The smell of sulphur means that you could rip out a silent one without anybody noticing it. Nice.

[​IMG]

4. kraven
    Original Member

kraven Silver Member

Status Points:
    On the next morning I booked a flight out of Songshan, which is translated as Taiwanese Berlin-Tempelhof #alternativefacts
    Why Songshan? Of course I could have taken a cheaper LCC flight out of Taoyuan, but there was a special reason:

HERROKITTYFRIGHT!!!!11111

[​IMG]

Everything, really everything here is Hello Kitty branded. In theory even the plane, but unfortunately Hello Kitty Loves Apples as in a check so they had sent a replacement one.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Boarding pass seems nice though.

[​IMG]

Lounge as well.

[​IMG]

5. kraven
    Original Member

kraven Silver Member

Status Points:
    The Japanese guy on the table beside me killed three cans of beer at 6 in the morning.

I would've posted a South Park GIF now but then I will get banned again, so please refer to Giphy and your imagination for that.

Otherwise the airport is quite silent in the morning.

[​IMG]

After boarding, as I said, everything is Hello Kitty branded. Even the toilet paper!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

6. kraven
    Original Member

kraven Silver Member

Status Points:
    Very quirky!
    Quite interesting that they serve Bombay Sapphire in Economy. Never seen that before.

[​IMG]

Of course the sickness bag is also branded.

[​IMG]

Songshan is directly in the city, so you could rent a spotter friendly apartment. Some say, you could even hit highways when departing with an ATR plane out of this airport!

[​IMG]

Time for breakfast. Note: The duration of this flight was just 1:45h!

[​IMG]

The other choice was beef with rice.
    After landing in Haneda, I felt my flu quite a bit so I sticked to the minimum. And there's only one place to be:

[​IMG]

7. kraven
    Original Member

kraven Silver Member

Status Points:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Only in Japan!

But of course, there's another place I wanted to visit, since I'm the one who made it famous (*): KUMAMON!

[​IMG]

Time for food. Was I impolite to deny the hand-made special sauce?

[​IMG]

After that I also went to New York...

[​IMG]

8. kraven
    Original Member

kraven Silver Member

Status Points:
    ..and of course tested some local brews. Hitachino Master Race!

[​IMG]

But unfortunately, it was time to head home again.

[​IMG]

JAL offers two brands of champagne - Salon 2006 and Henriot Cuvée des Enchanteleurs 2000.
    In the end I had stick to the latter, but not since it tasted that good (it was as disgusting as Krug), but the FA were so proactive that they won't left you with an empty glass!

Time for some amuse-bouche first...

[​IMG]

The FA was so surprised that I chose the Japanese menu, she even offered me cutlery! Of course I declined.

[​IMG]

First course:

[​IMG]

9. kraven
    Original Member

kraven Silver Member

Status Points:
    In the meantime I asked for some caviar as well, just to make the flight paid in my books:

[​IMG]

Prawn cake...

[​IMG]

I finally found a way to get rid of that ugly 120$ champagne and went on to another speciality: Ice Tea for 50$ a bottle. Honestly, I did not tasted any difference to my home brew with Yorkshire Gold.

[​IMG]

But now, back to the seafood. And even more caviar.

[​IMG]

"Are you ready for the main course?"

[​IMG]

10. kraven
    Original Member

kraven Silver Member

Status Points:
    The wagyu was really, really good. Even the whole menu. One of the best I ever had in the sky, maybe the best.

Did I forget the dessert? No, of course!

[​IMG]

And what's on offer if you're hungry while watching a movie? Yeah, dried shellfish for sure.

[​IMG]

The JL pyjamas are really comfy and I quite felt like home in the air.

Shortly before landing, it came to my mind that I haven't tasted the full menu. So I ordered some skewers out of duck/pork/beef. Also quite tasty.

[​IMG]

I must say, JAL left me quite speechless. Their product is top, not even the food, but also the crew. All of them were really caring and running through the cabin every 5 minutes or so. Of course every one of them came to me before landing and thanking me for my business. I'd definetely recommend flying with JL.

11. Snella

Snella Active Member

Status Points:
    Kraven,

That's a detailed report. I would've enjoyed it more if you didn't use such an inappropriate and insensitive phrase "Taiwan (Note: Like Japan, but the girls are bit more ugly)".
    One should never use generalized derogatory words like those to describe any country or group of people in the world.
    You should remove it and apologize to people who find it offensive.