Missed Sunpass tolls in Florida - how to pay

Discussion in 'Other U.S. Destinations' started by Sweet Willie, Jan 11, 2014.  |  Print Topic

1. Sweet Willie
    Original Member

Sweet Willie Gold Member

Status Points:
    I hadn't been to Miami for awhile but was just recently, while driving I realized I was on a tollway that accepted sunpass but didn't have any cash lanes so those of us without a sunpass could pay manually.

I'm now looking online to figure out how to pay the missed tolls and find that the only way is mail the missed toll payments in. source: https://www.sunpass.com/violationsMissedToll
    Seriously ???!! Mail ?????:mad:

I'm amazed that the only option is via mail. Even corrupt IL allows online payments of missed tolls.
    C'mon Florida, get with the times, allow online payments.

tondoleo likes this.
  2. tondoleo
    Original Member

tondoleo Gold Member

Status Points:
    Did all of the seafood you ate make you crabby? I suggest calling sunpass and offering them your credit card. I suspect they will take it and all will be well.

Sweet Willie likes this.
  3. bigx0

bigx0 Gold Member

Status Points:
    They do, but it's not that simple. You can mail it in right away and be done with it, or you can wait till they bill you. You can then register and pay online. Heck, maybe you can register right away and beat them to it -- I'm not sure. The unpaid toll info is available within a couple of days. There's a link here:
    https://www.sunpass.com/violationsCustomer

Unless it's a rental car -- then the rental car agency will bill you and either charge it to your card or ask you to pay online.

I'm usually in FL at least a couple of times a year so I went ahead and got a Sunpass even though I don't live there. It's been way easier than dealing with stuff like you are going through and the tolls are cheaper. (When you are billed you're billed the full toll rate, not the discounted Sunpass rates.) Even if I forget the transponder I can still sign in and temporarily add the rental car to my account.

[Later edit: you don't have to register to pay online if you are billed -- you just enter some info from your bill.]

Sweet Willie likes this.
  4. ella
    Original Member

ella Silver Member

Status Points:
    If it was in a rental car, the rental company will bill you and tack on an administrative fee usually. I have had that happen in a few different states. The rental company has sent a notification and one company said they'd charge to card on file. Another company has requested a card number to charge it to. But they've all charged a $15 administrative fee.

Sweet Willie likes this.
  5. Sweet Willie
    Original Member

Sweet Willie Gold Member

Status Points:
    @tondoleo we did have stone crabs but not enough, so maybe I was crabby at myself for not having ordered more (or brought some home!). I will try calling.
    and that is unacceptable in my book, a $15 fee for a missed $0.50 toll. Hence my question err gripe on how to pay.

HaveMilesWillTravel and tondoleo like this.
  6. tondoleo
    Original Member

tondoleo Gold Member

Status Points:
    I no longer eat stone crabs so you can have my ration the next time you are in town.

Sweet Willie likes this.