Missed my first domestic upgrade of 2013

Discussion in 'American Airlines | AAdvantage' started by tom911, Jan 27, 2013.  |  Print Topic

1. tom911
    Original Member

tom911 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Not to worry, though, as I've cleared 15 since the first week of January, plus another 4 already cleared in the days ahead (SFO-TPA RT), so holding at 95% (19/20 cleared). Thought I had a shot at the 1850 DFW-SFO today which was F2 this morning, but then AA cancelled the DFW-SFO flight right before mine and imagine those two remaining F seats quickly disappeared. I was #2 on the gate list. We went out completely full and I enjoyed my comped chicken sandwich and potato chips in coach.

Will be interesting how the rest of the year goes. I missed one upgrade last year out of 39 requests (97%).

Flyer1976, mo26, anabolism and 6 others like this.
  2. chanp
    Original Member

chanp Silver Member

Status Points:
    Your rates are pretty high. I think with all these comped EXP's and/or other promo's AA has had, hasnt had too much of an effect, but rather that cancelled flight.

marcwint55 and uggboy like this.
  3. flyforawg

flyforawg Silver Member

Status Points:
    SFO-LAX cleared at T-100. Yay. First of year, 100%. :p

anabolism, marcwint55 and Mike Reed like this.
  4. Mike Reed

Mike Reed Gold Member

Status Points:
    I'm writing this from my X seat (6B) on SFO-DFW right now, with my wife in her C seat beside me (6A)! :)

My rate is 100% on my first 8 segments. Of my next three (over the next two days) I'm still waiting on AUS-LAX in the morning (which I booked within the last 2-3 weeks, so potentially low on the list based on time of request and currently F3/A0/P2), I used a SWU to get LAX-JFK upgraded (was tight, and just cleared this morning) and have cleared on LGA-ATL (CRJ-700). So I'm in position to be 11/11 w/1 SWU used depending on tomorrow morning... otherwise I'll have my first missed domestic upgrade, too.

anabolism, marcwint55 and tom911 like this.
  5. tom911
    Original Member

tom911 Gold Member

Status Points:
    I have 6 systemwides in play next month to Germany (party of three). SFO-JFK cleared immediately and JFK-LHR is waitlisted with an empty cabin in J-- still about 3 weeks out and expect the London flight to clear as we get closer. FRA-DFW-SFO cleared at booking (EF showed C2 from FRA so the third seat likely came from hidden EXP availability). I was actually surprised to see up-front availability on several days around my FRA-DFW segment as those seats do seem a little harder to find this year. Return flights are last week of February so good use of about-to-expire systemwides.

6. zphelj

zphelj Gold Member

Status Points:
    I've been trying to clear BCN-JFK-DFW for a few weeks on a SWU. BCN-JFK cleared 5 days before travel however it looks like JFK-DFW is not going to happen. No biggie, it happens. AA sold the seats, good for them.

Update: I'm a thru passenger on a SWU and was #6 on the airport list.

marcwint55 and tom911 like this.
  7. Mike Reed

Mike Reed Gold Member

Status Points:
    Does the airport list show wait listed SWU passengers as well or just the 500/exp upgrades? I can't recall what a waitlisted swu does, if anything, to the PALL. In other words, is the airport list based SOLELY on status/time/through?

Sent from my iPhone using milepoint

marcwint55 likes this.
  8. zphelj

zphelj Gold Member

Status Points:
    I'm not sure. Here's a few things I observed today.
    - In BCN the TA's said I was #1 on the airport list though I have low confidence in that assessment because they also believed a SWU applied against a domestic segment came out of X inventory ;) I didn't press them and said I'd check again in NYC. I knew JFK-DFW would be tough and with BCN-JFK in the bag I was pretty happy :)
    - Flagship lounge in JFK said flight was F0 A0 and 11 of 16 had checked in.
    - EF showed inventory zeroed and seat map had one unassigned (I know, seat map is not definitive at all, etc - just a data point)
    - My name was #6 at the gate

I had a nice flight in the exit row and the middle seat was empty so as far as SWU missed upgrades this one is pretty boring. I only share it because I know how hungry everyone can be for data ;-)

malikguy and marcwint55 like this.
  9. Mike Reed

Mike Reed Gold Member

Status Points:
    Appreciated. I'm in 15B on my 737 tomorrow - middle seat, exit row - still hoping against hope the upgrade clears before we leave.

UPDATE: It's official, first missed upgrade. Booked less than a month ago, nearly full flight, one other EXP I know in coach and full exit rows.

marcwint55 likes this.
  10. marcwint55

marcwint55 Gold Member

Status Points:
    So far I have received three of four possible upgrades. Last year I only missed one the whole year. I'm leaving on the 31st for Superbowl and have doubts about upgrades in and out of MSY, although I am keeping my fingers crossed.

11. malikguy

malikguy Silver Member

Status Points:
    Here have been my upgrade results:

01/12/2013 DFW/SEA - Upgraded
    01/13/2013 SEA/DFW - Upgraded

01/19/2013 DFW/JFK - Standby earlier flight, no upgrade
    01/19/2013 JFK/DFW - Upgraded

01/26/2013 DFW/JFK - Upgraded on standby!
    01/26/2013 JFK/DFW - Standby earlier flight, no upgrade

What I did learn this weekend though is that when you request standby from an agent, you can sometimes get them to confirm you on the flight instead (without charge). That way you have priority over others confirmed on that flight originally. :) I guess it depends on how charming you are. :p

anabolism, marcwint55 and funtrainsf like this.
  12. firstglobal

firstglobal Silver Member

Status Points:
    If the load is light enough on your desired flight, the kiosk will sometimes automatically do this as well.

Back to the original topic, I've already missed upgrades on 2 of my 8 domestic flights this year, they were both out of SNA on peak travel days though so no real surprise.

13. funtrainsf

funtrainsf Silver Member

Status Points:
    I have a feeling I am going to miss a couple of transcons this weekend (BOS-LAX-BOS). Flights are at F0. Cheap flights brought about SWU dump.

14. dayone
    Original Member

dayone Silver Member

Status Points:
    Welcome to the new normal.

marcwint55 likes this.
  15. ord_a380

ord_a380 Silver Member

Status Points:
    My upgrade ratio has been pretty good. I have cleared all 12 flights so far this month. Just had a flight the other day from MIA that I didn't think I would clear, was #1 on list for a 767 home, and didn't see it clear before boarding occurred for a full flight. Luckily I cleared 10 mins before take off from gate when agent came on board with new boarding pass. Was well after group 5 as agent was slacking on upgrades at gate

malikguy, anabolism and marcwint55 like this.
  16. Mike Reed

Mike Reed Gold Member

Status Points:
    Well, I'm on a transcontinental that would have cleared, but I used a swu because it didn't look that way. Ended up with 21 misconnects including some in j... so I'd have been fine. Cest la vie.. I got the upgrade I "paid" for with swu. :)

17. Mike Reed

Mike Reed Gold Member

Status Points:
    I can handle the new normal - working as well as before as long as I book early.

18. anabolism
    Original Member

anabolism Gold Member

Status Points:
    How far in advance do you usually book?

19. tom911
    Original Member

tom911 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Most of the flights I have in January/February were booked in October and November. I typically book a month of more out. My NYC trip last week was booked 11 days out and an upcoming Germany trip was booked five weeks out.

anabolism and marcwint55 like this.
  20. Bay Pisco Shark
    Original Member

Bay Pisco Shark Gold Member

Status Points:
    With a record like yours, you should just give up, throw in the towel, and go back to the rosy side over at UA. :D

21. anabolism
    Original Member

anabolism Gold Member

Status Points:
    Glad to hear the agent came on board to upgrade you!

22. anabolism
    Original Member

anabolism Gold Member

Status Points:
    Good for you.

I try to book 2-3 months in advance, to improve upgrade odds.

23. John777

John777 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Hopefully this will settle down after Feb. 28!

funtrainsf, malikguy and anabolism like this.
  24. funtrainsf

funtrainsf Silver Member

Status Points:
    Agreed, but I kinda had to pull this transcon off before then (was one of the lucky ones to get double EQMs which expires 2/22). Got the DFW-BOS cleared, but it's the transcons I'm more interested in. But I won't use SWUs or bitch about it. It is what it is, I just want the miles.

John777 likes this.
  25. zphelj

zphelj Gold Member

Status Points:
    Jan/Feb has new EXP's and all the expiring ones plus SWU's that are expiring. I suspect it's generally the toughest two months of the year when it comes to upgrades domestically.

OceanBreezes, anabolism and John777 like this.