Missed leg

Discussion in 'Mileage Runs/Travel Hacking' started by konoyaro, Apr 24, 2013.  |  Print Topic

1. konoyaro

konoyaro Silver Member

Status Points:
    I'm curious what folks here typically do when in the following situation:

A customer has a multi-leg flight. The routing is something like: A - B - C - B - A. They have no checked baggage. On the return portion of the flight, for whatever reason, they deplane at B and do not continue on to A and the end of their originally ticked flight.

Do they:
    • Let the airline agent know they will miss the forward flight
    • Just deplane and not notify the airline agent
    • Other options
    Thanks for the feedback!

Aktchi and marcwint55 like this.
  2. marcwint55

marcwint55 Gold Member

Status Points:

If you are in anything other than coach I would notify the agent so they can give someone an upgrade. If not, I would go about my merry way.

konoyaro likes this.
  3. NYCUA1K

NYCUA1K Gold Member

Status Points:
    It depends on the fare rule. Generally, the traveler is in full control of what they wish to do, but they must be willing to live with the circumstances. Deplaning at B and missing the connection to A would likely invalidate the rest of the ticket, unless the B to A ticket is highly flexible, in which case one simply lets the agent know of their intention to purposely miss the original B->A flight, and whether or not they wish to rebook to take a later flight. The preceding presupposes a certain understanding of the situation.

Stiga9 and konoyaro like this.
  4. konoyaro

konoyaro Silver Member

Status Points:
    Thanks for the replies thus far.
    The customer is in coach with no upgrades or instruments applied
    The fare class is pretty low, so not flexible
    The customer does not plan to claim the unused segment for a future flight
    The customer does want to be credited for miles actually flown, unflown segments excepted

Stiga9 likes this.
  5. craz
    Original Member

craz Silver Member

Status Points:
    The name for this is 'Hidden City' where people on purpose would book the B-A. In your case since they are starting in A and its a r/t tkt maybe their intent to begin with wasnt to game the system

No matter where I was sitting if I was gaming the system in order to get a cheaper fare I would simply walk away and say nothing to nobody @ T-15 the GA will UP the next person on the WL or call the next person on the SBY list

By saying something, they could refare the tkt and if A-B-C-B cost more assess the difference to them for payment

Dont ever do this on a Domestic tkt with checked bags, most carriers wont short check the bag (in your ex @ C they wont tag the bag only to B but will tag it to A) So unless an arrangement is made for someone to go get it when it comes down the carousel or you will be back in A real soon, kiss the bag goodbye

Stiga9 and konoyaro like this.
  6. Aktchi
    Original Member

Aktchi Silver Member

Status Points:
    They'd give the seat away anyway after a cut off point, most likely to someone waiting for upgrade.

Stiga9, marcwint55 and konoyaro like this.
  7. Aktchi
    Original Member

Aktchi Silver Member

Status Points:
    Make sure the segment in question is the last one in the PNR and there is no luggage to check. After that, my advice is to quietly "miss the flight". Unless you are asking them to actually do something, calling etc is a waste of bandwidth and also draws unneeded attention.

The idea that you should "notify" the airline is from 1970's mindset when everything was done by phones and you had to reconfirm your return flight. These days, thanks to technology and security paranoia, they know pretty well who boarded and who did not. If they have a cash, award, or ug customer available, they'll give your seats away anyway.

You will be credited for the miles actually flown.

Stiga9, marcwint55 and konoyaro like this.
  8. konoyaro

konoyaro Silver Member

Status Points:
    Thanks very much for the replies.

Stiga9 and marcwint55 like this.
  9. Stiga9

Stiga9 Active Member

Status Points:
    Newb here. What is the difference between a multi-leg flight, and a multi-segment flight? On UA.com, it says I have 6 premier qualifying segments. Are they referring to legs? Are there such things as arms? <------confused.

10. konoyaro

konoyaro Silver Member

Status Points:
    My understanding is, a segment can have a leg but a leg can't have a segment. Or, if the flight has a stop but it's the same plane on the same route, it's all part of the segment but once you change planes or carriers on your flight, each of these are a leg. Of course, I may not have a leg to stand on here... ;)

11. konoyaro

konoyaro Silver Member

Status Points:
    By the way, as to my original posting, I did end up not making my last leg due to unforeseen circumstances. Miles posted for the actual miles flown and there were no problems despite the UDU on the missed leg.

Thanks again for all the input!

12. KenInEscazu

KenInEscazu Gold Member

Status Points:
    IME, it's all about the flight number. I have changed planes at a connection where both flights had the same number, and it only credited as one segment every time. The miles also always credited as if I had flown non-stop. It kind of irritates me every time it happens, but then I try to think of all the times things have worked in my favor. Both are rare. Of course when I'm on one of the ultra-cheap fares found on this board.... :cool: