Missed Flight - Any Recorse?

Discussion in 'British Airways | Executive Club' started by rwoman, Dec 7, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. rwoman
    Original Member

rwoman Gold Member

Status Points:
    Hi everyone,

I'd booked LHR STR LHR on a cheap Y fare and then took advantage of the £59 each way upgrade offer. I missed my flight and the BA desk said I have no recourse whatsoever, even to just change flights.

I may be SOL and it's an expensive mistake.

Thanks for your thoughts!

Robin

uggboy likes this.
  2. Sweet Willie
    Original Member

Sweet Willie Gold Member

Status Points:
    When you knew you were not going to make your flight, did you call BA & cancel it?

uggboy likes this.
  3. Globaliser
    Original Member

Globaliser Silver Member

Status Points:
    Technically, that's correct. If you buy a POUG, you will have a no changes, no refunds fare; this is common with many business class sale fares, not just the POUG fares.

Why did you miss the flight, and by how much? If it was a close thing and you had a reason for it, I'm a bit surprised that they didn't try to do something for you - even if it was to carry you on the next flight but only in the economy cabin.

And, assuming that you've missed the outbound half, would they protect your inbound half and allow you to make your own way to STR (if there's any point in doing so - I don't know the purpose of your trip).

Sweet Willie likes this.
  4. rwoman
    Original Member

rwoman Gold Member

Status Points:
    I slept late and missed my train...I'm 2.5 hours from LHR and driving would have taken longer this morning. I called immediately and the agent was adamant about not switching to tomorrow as there were no more flights today . She said I would not be able to use the return either.

Should I call again?

I have to go bc this is for the military; not that BA is worried about US military members, which is fine.

I'm on AF and KLM now.

Thanks!

5. Globaliser
    Original Member

Globaliser Silver Member

Status Points:
    So you didn't actually go to see BA at the airport? That's a pity, because as a general rule airports have more discretion to deal with small problems, like just missing a flight.

In addition, if you've actually arrived at the airport ready to travel on your outbound ticket, but you've just missed the flight, nobody could accuse you of misusing the ticket coupons out of sequence to evade fare rules, even if you do have to travel to STR on another ticket.

What does ba.com say about your booking? Has the return half been auto-cancelled? And are you likely to be able to get to T5 to see BA? I still think you're more likely to get a favourable exercise of discretion in your favour if you contact BA in person, either at LHR or (second best) at STR, than doing it on the phone - partly because if you simply call, BA has no idea where you are or whether anything of what you say is true.

stan and HaveMilesWillTravel like this.
  6. rwoman
    Original Member

rwoman Gold Member

Status Points:
    I will try at STR tomorrow. As late as it was, and living far away with terrible traffic this morning I was no where near T5. I can also try them on Sunday when I return..,

7. rwoman
    Original Member

rwoman Gold Member

Status Points:
    Just looked - the res still shows my flight on Sunday...I need the miles for my status qual...

8. Globaliser
    Original Member

Globaliser Silver Member

Status Points:
    Good luck!

rwoman likes this.
  9. rwoman
    Original Member

rwoman Gold Member

Status Points:
    We will see what happens!! :)

10. rwoman
    Original Member

rwoman Gold Member

Status Points:
    Hi All,

Talked to the STR BA folks...they snickered about Customer Service and say that I have a flight...it also still shows up on ba.com...perhaps I'll be using this ticket on the way back....

:)

11. Globaliser
    Original Member

Globaliser Silver Member

Status Points:
    Great news! Hope it all works out.

12. rwoman
    Original Member

rwoman Gold Member

Status Points:
    Well, did OLCI and dropped my bags with no issue. I really like the BA staff here at LHR! :) In the lounge now! :)

13. Globaliser
    Original Member

Globaliser Silver Member

Status Points:
    Fantastic news. Glad it's all worked out. Hope you had a good time in the lounge and an enjoyable onward flight!

rwoman likes this.
  14. rwoman
    Original Member

rwoman Gold Member

Status Points:
    The flight was fine; although we left Stuttgart over an hour late due to a tech having to come out to the taxiway to secure a panel on the left engine. Glad the ticket did not end up totally wasted! There were only two of us up front. :)

15. rwoman
    Original Member

rwoman Gold Member

Status Points:
    Lessons here...don't miss flight on a restricted ticket and the airport is easier to deal with than the customer service desk. :)

Toula likes this.