Missed connection

Discussion in 'General Discussion | Miles/Points' started by Flying Bat, Sep 11, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. Flying Bat

Flying Bat Silver Member

Status Points:
    I wonder what might be the situation where a mileage flight was missed due to a flight delay on a connecting flight, but where the connecting flight was a regular paid ticket, not part of the award.

The airlines involved are different - Luthansa flight delayed, missed connection onto Thai;

2. deant
    Original Member

deant Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    Legally since the flights are on different PNRs (does not matter if both are paid, both are award or any combination) the "second" flight has no obligation to try and accommodate you. Do you know if Thai has later flights that they could put you on? Do you have status with Thai?

Flying Bat likes this.
  3. akcae
    Original Member

akcae Silver Member

Status Points:
    The above is true with most airlines. However, AA guarantees your travel continuation as long as both PNRs are on oneworld. For example, if your inbound AA flight is delayed and you miss an outbound flight on another oneworld airline (say BA), AA will accommodate you and rebook at no charge, even if the BA flight is a totally separate PNR.

4. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

HaveMilesWillTravel Gold Member

Status Points:
    That's quite nice of AA and good to know.

Sweet Willie and Flying Bat like this.
  5. Sweet Willie
    Original Member

Sweet Willie Gold Member

Status Points:
    thanks for posting this, is this in writing somewhere at Oneworld?

6. akcae
    Original Member

akcae Silver Member

Status Points:
    Sweet Willie likes this.
  7. Flying Bat

Flying Bat Silver Member

Status Points:
    This was resolved by a very helpful supervisor, thanks for all your posts.
    Please consider this thread now closed.

8. DestinationDavid
    Original Member

DestinationDavid Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    It's a new-ish development, here's a link: LINK.

AA to/from AA or a oneworld® Carrier
    If a customer is holding separate tickets on AA or another oneworld carrier, customers holding separate tickets where travel is on oneworld airlines should be treated as through ticketed passengers. In the event of a disruption on the originating ticket, the carrier responsible for the disruption will be required to reroute the customer to their final destination. The ticket stock of the second ticket must be of a oneworld carrier, eligible under the Endorsement Waiver Agreement. You may contact AA Reservations 1-800-433-7300 (U.S. and Canada) or outside the U.S. and Canada, reference Worldwide Reservations Numbers for additional information if the separate ticket is for travel on a oneworld carrier.

akcae and Sweet Willie like this.
  9. maromero02

maromero02 Active Member

Status Points:
    All of the above comments are true.. Being a former AA agent I remember taking care of missconnecting pax even If their final dest wasn't with AA... However in the future is very important not to mix reservations unless they are in different dates... I remember last year I did a miles run to SFO... My outbound was delayed and I wanted to change the return the following day to a later flt... Because i had two separate reservations even with the status I couldn't get away with changing to a later flt.. I was really upset..