Missed Connection due to sick passenger

Discussion in 'American Airlines | AAdvantage' started by Elusive, May 21, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. Elusive

Elusive Silver Member

Status Points:
    I am currently on my way to DFW to make a connection but will likely miss it to due an emergency landing enroute. There was a sick passenger who deplaned and is thankfully doing OK. I will now miss the last flight out and stuck in DFW overnight.

Two questions:

Given this was not anyone's fault I am wondering what AA typically does in this situation. I called the ExPlat desk she said to check with the gate agent for a hotel voucher. Not sure if that means a free stay or just a discounted rate. I am on personal travel so I will have to foot any costs myself.

When I called the EXP desk I was told that I should still shoot for making the connection in case they hold the plane. I asked if she could at least protect me on the first flight out tomorrow and she said no because I couldn't be scheduled for two flights at the same time. That seemed wrong to me given past experience. Have others been protected on later flights while still holding seats on another flight?

perryplatypus likes this.
  2. tom911
    Original Member

tom911 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Can't help there as I've never misconnected and been stuck at an airport for the night on AA. The conditions of carriage address this to some extent:

http://www.aa.com/i18n/customerService/customerCommitment/conditionsOfCarriage.jsp

If they only provide a discounted hotel voucher I'd still mail the receipt in to AA and see what happens. I did that with UA once with a baggage delay and they reimbursed my parking costs for the Dusseldorf Airport.

There was a change in 2010:
    EXP Desk: No longer ability to "protect" on backup flight

perryplatypus and Elusive like this.
  3. NYBanker
    Original Member

NYBanker Gold Member

Status Points:
    Sorry to hear this. I hope the unwell pax turns out OK.

I think the key to your situation is asking nicely when you arrive at DFW. I struggle to see a friendly ask from an EXP cardholder turned down in this situation.

If they flatly deny you (which I think to be unlikely), you can always get a room on your own account and write a letter in to HQ post-facto. I've done this in other situations - even weather-related once - and the carriers have covered my expenses retroactively upon well articulated written request.

Good luck. Let us know what plays out.

perryplatypus and Elusive like this.
  4. Elusive

Elusive Silver Member

Status Points:
    They held the plane for us! Ran all the way and connected in 5 minutes. Thank you AA for getting us back tonight. I have a bunch of meetings tomorrow that would have been problematic to move or miss.

5. Golden Toque

Golden Toque Gold Member

Status Points:
    Glad it worked out for you... but for future travel, one of the best things in my wallet is a credit card with Bagage Delay, and Flight Delay insurance. Mine covers me for emergency clothes, $500 per person, up to $1000 per incident for a 6 hour baggage delay. Also covers me for up to $500 for a hotel room, and a meal and up to $125 for a ticket to a ticketed entertainment event... i.e. movie, sporting event, concert, play etc...

I use each at least once per year!

6. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

HaveMilesWillTravel Gold Member

Status Points:
    What card is it? Does it require that you paid for the travel with that card?

Mapsmith and perryplatypus like this.
  7. Golden Toque

Golden Toque Gold Member

Status Points:
    So here is where my Nationality will shine through... It is a CIBC Aerogold Infinite Visa card... however there are a good deal of other cards with that type of coverage in the USA as well, as I have talked to people who have them, I am just not sure which they are though.

Yes, the flight has to be purchased on that card, or as it is an Aeroplan mileage earning card, it also applies for an award flight in the same mileage program.

perryplatypus likes this.
  8. Elusive

Elusive Silver Member

Status Points:
    This is a great tip. I never heard of a card that covers hotel expenses..