Misleading "Our choice" category online

Discussion in 'Hertz | #1 Awards/#1 Club' started by FlyingBear, Sep 4, 2014.  |  Print Topic

1. FlyingBear
    Original Member

FlyingBear Silver Member

Status Points:
    So last weekend I rented a car under the Manager's Category special with the text promising 4/7 passenger vehicle that fits 2 Large suitcases. So when I arrived at the airport, I was surprised to find... a Yaris. Which, per Hertz, is a 2 Small Suiticase car. After talking to the clerk, I got up to a Versa, which is still just a 1 Large/1 small.

Now, if you are to click on "or similar" button and then click again to find out what "Manager's Special" is, it actually states: "With the Manager's Special, you'll get an Economy or larger vehicle at a rate that is equal to an Economy car." Or to translate to everyday talk: "Haha, gotcha, sucker!" I survived, but certainly seems like a scammy way to go about unloading unwanted rental cars. So be forewarned.

upload_2014-9-4_16-21-55.png

iolaire and viguera like this.
  2. viguera
    Original Member

viguera Gold Member

Status Points:
    It's like mystery meat.

With every horror story I'm more convinced that I made the right choice by switching away from Hertz.

3. chongkenneth

chongkenneth Active Member

Status Points:
    To be honest, renting anything below a PCAR is a risky decision at Hertz... Hell, even a PCAR is borderline with the amount of ancient Maximas they have. I almost always go for National unless the price gap is huge.

4. FlyingBear
    Original Member

FlyingBear Silver Member

Status Points:
    To drive the point in about the sucky service, lady on the phone told me to write an email, which I did. No response, BUT did get a follow-up email to find out how I liked their response to my contacting them! Glorious.

5. Pizzaman
    Original Member

Pizzaman Co-founder

Status Points:
    Honestly, I've had *great* success with the Manager's Choice. Full disclosure, I'm a Hertz Platinum. I still don't get great cars from them when I book the MC, but I still have gotten mostly good cars at a very good price.

6. FlyingBear
    Original Member

FlyingBear Silver Member

Status Points:
    I am a Gold, had good luck too and the cars met or exceeded the "promise" in the graphics for the the special, so I never had to dig in.

I just now (12 days later) got a response to my inquiry on this and obviously, they simply chose to avoid answering my questions about the discrepancy between the actual definition of Manager's Special and what they put on that little icon. Lame. I hold no particular loyalty to them outside of having been using them for a while, so switching over to Avis is no issue.

7. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

HaveMilesWillTravel Gold Member

Status Points:
    "Advise caller not to book this car class if they have a specific number of passengers or
    amount of room needed!"

Makes a lot of sense to show the number of pax or suitcases then. Hertz -- we try harder to p!ss you off.

icurhere2 and FlyingBear like this.
  8. Garp74

Garp74 Gold Member

Status Points:
    I only used Manager's Choice once. It was at my most frequent rental station. I was Five Star at the time. They stuck me in an economy class car.

9. Pizzaman
    Original Member

Pizzaman Co-founder

Status Points:
    I would have paid to see your head sticking out of the sunroof.

Garp74 likes this.
  10. eponymous_coward
    Original Member

eponymous_coward Gold Member

Status Points:
    I was willing to do the Manager's Special because with that and these codes: PC#179804 and CDP#205521 - 2014 Entertainment code for a Buy one, Get one free weekend day rental (minimum 2 days rental)... it got me a car in Vegas for a 2 day weekend for less than $50. Considering that taxes on a rental are almost 30% +$3, less than $25 a day in Vegas for a weekend in September is a pretty good deal, even if you are in a Yaris or (in my case) Chevrolet Sonic...

Garp74 likes this.
  11. FlyingBear
    Original Member

FlyingBear Silver Member

Status Points:
    That misses the entire point of what I am talking about. In my case, I could've gotten a Nissan Altima for less than $10 more. The misleading description is what allowed them to off-load the Yaris (and at the end, a Versa) on me.

12. eponymous_coward
    Original Member

eponymous_coward Gold Member

Status Points:
    No, I got that. I let that shady part happen instead of pitching a fit because my luggage was a backpack and small laptop case for an iPad. ;)

(I'm used to that at LAS, Alamo has tried to pass off a Toyota Echo as a midsize. :rolleyes:)