Misleading announcement about Lending Team reaching $1 million in "donations"

Discussion in 'Kiva | Loans That Change Lives' started by danny, Dec 13, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. danny
    Original Member

danny Silver Member

Status Points:
    This thread http://milepoint.com/forums/threads/lending-team-donates-1-000-000.23826/ announces that the Lending Team donates $1,000,000 to Kiva which I think is a bit misleading. I couldn't reply there so I started this thread.

At first I was really shocked that the team donated that much then I realized upon further reading I discovered that it's $1,000,000 in loans, not donations.

$1 million in loans is still very impressive and not to take anything away from the accomplishment but the word "donation" should not be interchangeable used with "loan". They are two very different things. A donation is an outright gift while a loan is made with somewhat of an expectation that the borrower will repay and then the lender is able to re-loan the money somewhere else or withdraw the money back into their bank account.

2. viguera
    Original Member

viguera Gold Member

Status Points:
    Well this should be interesting... :)

Regardless, keep in mind that the body of the post does say "much of it in the form of $25 loans" or something to that effect.

And I know for a fact that quite a bit of that money was indeed donated to new members by Randy to encourage lending. He's never getting that money back... :)

YULtide, Gargoyle and Chimpy like this.
  3. nime01
    Original Member

nime01 Gold Member

Status Points:
    The loans are loans - not (edit insert: necessarily) donations, (edit insert: although many do not expect all of our loans to be repaid in full).

Anyway, let's not be too distracted by this.

MissBurrill, YULtide and Gargoyle like this.
  4. Randy Petersen
    Original Member

Randy Petersen Founder

Status Points:
    Hey guys, can i ask that this doesn't become a PC sort of discussion? I'm fine with any personal opinions, but before you get in some idea of how this reflects on milepoint and "misleading", can we agree that milepoint takes its leads from Kiva.org itself. Take a look at this page (the word/s donate/donations is used in five different places on this page) and graphic:
    kivadonations.jpg

you'll notice that Kiva themselves uses and interchanges the words donations and loans, just as we have. I'm fine with the uses of the two words as there are plenty of donations here and frankly I do not "loan" the money expecting all with be re-paid. I'm happy helping others. So, can we agree that maybe its OK, that milepoint is not purposely trying to mislead anyone and likely Kiva.org is not either. Just my two cents.

5. Gargoyle
    Original Member

Gargoyle Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    You just don't want it to be PC because you're a Mac guy. :p

( ... just trying to defuse the situation ... :) )

MissBurrill, Toula, kiwi and 6 others like this.
  6. nime01
    Original Member

nime01 Gold Member

Status Points:
    An Apple a day keeps the PC away? :p

7. danny
    Original Member

danny Silver Member

Status Points:
    Randy, Kiva does not interchange the words donations and loans. I'm not the PC kind of guy but the two terms really are different regardless of an individual's expectation of being repaid.

That page you referenced - http://www.kiva.org/about/supportus is referring to direct donations to the Kiva organization to help with the organization overhead and misc expenses.

Interchanging the words "loan" and "donation" can also be dangerous when it comes to tax purposes. Loans to Kiva borrowers are not tax deductible but donations to Kiva are tax deductible.

MissBurrill likes this.