Misapplied Double Dip

Discussion in 'Hilton | HHonors' started by IPBrian, Oct 28, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. IPBrian

IPBrian Silver Member

Status Points:
    I recently stayed in NYC at the Conrad. I am signed up for two specific promotions, (1000 bonus AA Miles for stays at Conrad Hotels and the 2013 VIP Gold Promotion). I usually have Hilton Honors points selected as my Double Dip, but I moved it to AA for this promotion period. I also had AA set as my default airline partner.

When I checked my account on my return from NYC, I found the miles were deposited with US Airways. At the time of the reservation, US Air may have been my default Airline partner, but Hilton Honors points would have been selected as my Double Dip. I made the reservation with the Diamond Desk rather than online. I am guessing the agent hand coded my airline partner by mistake, but I would love to hear any other ideas. I have a ticket opened to research this problem, but I was wondering if anyone else has had any problems with Double Dip being applied to the wrong place.

Kalboz likes this.
  2. newbluesea
    Original Member

newbluesea Gold Member

Status Points:
    Did you make the default airline change before the booking?
    In any event this has been an ongoing problem on hilton.com for many years now .... if I had to hazard a guess I would say over ten.
    If you need to make an important change to the airlines you want as bonus miles with I would suggest that in the future.... just as a precaution to call in and confirm the change with HH

Kalboz likes this.
  3. BuckleandBoots

BuckleandBoots Silver Member

Status Points:
    It's always a guess where I'm going to get my HH related FF miles.

Unfortunately for me, they've never been enough points for me to create too much of a stink.

Kalboz likes this.
  4. jparker

jparker Silver Member

Status Points:
    I just had the same thing happen with my account. I have Virgin Atlantic picked for the current promotion but got the Delta MQM offer instead. I suspect a note to the Diamond desk should remedy this pretty easily.

IPBrian and Kalboz like this.
  5. rookie10

rookie10 Silver Member

Status Points:
    This has happened to me in the past as well. I called HHonors and they corrected it for me. Doing it once was not a big deal but calling again it became time consuming. In the end Hilton resolved the issues without need for follow up

IPBrian and Kalboz like this.
  6. nacho

nacho Silver Member

Status Points:
    Not in my case :( I put in LH before I booked the hotel and then changed to UA, and Hilton didn't do anything for me, even though I have contacted them.

Kalboz likes this.
  7. newbluesea
    Original Member

newbluesea Gold Member

Status Points:
    If the miles has already posted to your FF account it is unlikley that HH are willing or able to reverse it.

Kalboz likes this.
  8. NYCUA1K

NYCUA1K Gold Member

Status Points:
    I have never run into this situation, but the earning style can be changed until midnight CST on the last day of the say (i.e. on the check out day, which is rather flexible because it sounds to me like you can pretty much change your earning style even as you are checking out). After that, no changes in earning style setting will be honored and retro-credit for incorrect setting does not seem to be allowed by the T&C:
    An obvious solution would be to always make it a point to ensure at check in (and at check out) that the system has your desired earning style...

IPBrian likes this.
  9. newbluesea
    Original Member

newbluesea Gold Member

Status Points:
    Checking earning style which I am pretty much every here understands how it works (and if one reads the OPs post appears to have been correctly applied ) is NOT the problem here.

Problems getting default airlines changes to " stick" in the HH system has exsited way long before HH even introduced the variation in earnings style option to it members.

10. NYCUA1K

NYCUA1K Gold Member

Status Points:
    A bit cavalier, I think, but the advice is highly germane and holds because one has until check out time to set 'values' (which an airline is) for any of the preferences. Why not just ensure at check out that your desired airline is the one that will be credited, which would at the same boost the chance of having an appeal-able case ("I had explicitly requested that my airline be such and such...")?

11. newbluesea
    Original Member

newbluesea Gold Member

Status Points:
    Simply because those of us who has experienced this problem (on multiple ocasions) has found even when checking and confirming at checkout that ones airline is preference is the correct one the system which quite obviously has a flaw often reverts to the previous "old" one.

IDGflygirl likes this.
  12. NYCUA1K

NYCUA1K Gold Member

Status Points:
    How is that possible? Is HH looking at a different account than you are? Of late, when I have called CS, I have been asked to provide my PIN for security, but it also suggests that they may be going into accounts the way users do so that both sides should be looking at the same info....no?

In any case, I still maintain that if the system is truly that broken, the best way to make an appeal-able case is to keep making sure of one's preferences at check out. I am surprised that something so simple from an IT viewpoint can be broken for so long (across system changes and upgrades over 10 years!) and not be fixed...unless it is a glitch that affects only a few. If a "problem" is not widespread, then the chances of anything being done about it are low...

13. newbluesea
    Original Member

newbluesea Gold Member

Status Points:
    Well if HH is unable to explain it I sure cant.:)
    Personally IMHO perhaps its not that as wellknow a problem for members because I suspect not many switch their select airlines back and forth.

The HH IT system has always had its little idiosyncrasies for many years members got points on award stays usually Diamond special requests based on the dollar amount HH had paid the properties.
    I bet I have gotten well over 200k points like that over the years..... last one was on a AXON at the Cavalieri where I got over 22k points pointed with a folio of under $100.:)

14. NYCUA1K

NYCUA1K Gold Member

Status Points:
    Alright then, if we can be happy when the system errs in our favor, we should also tone down the complaints when it errs to our detriment...;)

15. IPBrian

IPBrian Silver Member

Status Points:

I would have had hilton honors set as my double dip, with US as my default airline partner. I made the reservation like this. I later changed my airline partner to AA, then changed my double dip. No word yet from the HHonors people, though on my account the US 386 miles associated to that stay have suddenly gone missing. I hope this is a good sign.

16. IPBrian

IPBrian Silver Member

Status Points:
    This is ultra handy if I run into trouble...T&C's back at ya! This has always been my understanding, though from some of the comments above I think perhaps sometimes the posting is less than optimal. Thanks for the info!

17. IPBrian

IPBrian Silver Member

Status Points:
    LOL! Have you ever tried to give points back...I made the stupid mistake of that once. I only succeed in confusing the agent and I think she gave be 2000 points in the end for my trouble. :)

NYCUA1K likes this.
  18. nacho

nacho Silver Member

Status Points:
    I did change my earning style a week before checking in, also at check-in I wrote on a form telling them to credit my UA account vs LH.