Minute Suites Overnight

Discussion in 'General Discussion | Travel' started by vickers, Sep 29, 2015.  |  Print Topic

1. vickers

vickers Gold Member

Status Points:
    I have an 9 hour overnight layover at DFW coming up, and I really don't want to leave the terminal or take a hotel shuttle. I was looking at on-site accommodations at DFW, and saw the 2 Hyatt hotels. But, another optinon caught my eye on the DFW site - Minute Suites.

I am not chasing Hyatt status or collecting points, and I have never used a Minute Suites or spent the night at one, so I am really considering staying at one just for the experience.

Has anyone spent any time in them, or overnight? They have flat rate overnight pricing of $130 and Minute Suites DFW seems to be pretty close to the American Express Centurion lounge, so Ill shower and grab breakfast there. The only thing that I don't like is the lack of on-site bathrooms, but I understand they are close by.

Kalboz and uggboy like this.
  2. timfrost

timfrost Silver Member

Status Points:
    What does Hyatt want for their rooms on your dates? Even if you aren't chasing points if the price is similar it may be worth it to have a private bathroom available - I wouldn't relish the idea of a 3am wake-up, then needing to be fully dressed to walk out into the brightly lit terminal just to take a leak. I don't have any personal experience, though.

vickers likes this.
  3. vickers

vickers Gold Member

Status Points:
    The Hyatt Regency is a bit more, but not much. Not really worried about the price, but the experience seems cool. Just to do it once. :) Im sure ill be bitching about the experience after the fact, and wishing I had slept in a Hyatt bed. lol

4. chrislacey
    Original Member

chrislacey Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    Yea that daybed doesn't look very comfortable (or long) at all! We'll need a trip report if you end up staying there :D

5. Max M

Max M Gold Member

Status Points:
    I have used the Minute Suites at all 3 locations with my wife: ATL, DFW, and PHL-- all during long layovers between international flights. We typically pay for 3 hours at each location for a bit of a rest during a long layover--- and we still do this even while having an Admirals Club membership and Sky Club access when flying international on DL.

As you mentioned, the bathrooms at DFW [and also the case at ATL and PHL] aren't inside Minutes Suites, but are really close--- less than 10 feet away from the entrance. Oddly enough despite there not being toliets/bathroom, they do have a shower at the DFW location that you can use for a charge--- I don't remember the pricing off hand. But with your Centurion Club membership, or an Admirals Club membership, you can simply use the showers at your respective club for free when the clubs open in the morning. The DFW Minute Suites location is by D23, and the Admirals Club is almost literally across the way at D24.

The rooms are exceedingly tiny, but do provide a good sleep experience. Not sure if all rooms are this way, but some of the rooms can accommodate 2 people [tightly] with a pull-out bed coming from underneath the primary "bed". The bed in the room is more like a couch, but it's still comfortable enough to sleep on. [of course, nothing like the TempurPedic we have at home, but it gets the job done] I'm 6'1, and still manage to have a few inches to stretch out my toes in the Minute Suites daybed.

You can control the temperature of your room, the lights have a dimmer, and there is a noise machine control on the wall to help block out noise if you like. The room has a combo tv/computer screen with free internet and DirecTV. There's also a Kleenex box, a trash can, and a desk chair. None of the rooms at any of the locations have windows, so if you're the type that needs total darkness to sleep, it's very much this way, unless you use the light dimmer switch to put on a level of light in the room.

Be sure to ask for a "wake-up call" when you need to leave--- if you request this, the front desk employee will gently knock on the door to your room when you request your "wake up call."

I put "wake-up call" in quotes due the front desk employee to gently knock on your door at your requested time, as there are no telephones in the rooms.

One final tip: If you plan on staying there overnight and are sure you're going to stay there overnight--- and not during the day for a few hours-- it's best to book a reservation due to the limited number of rooms. I believe there are only 10-12 rooms at each location. When there are weather-related flight cancellations, it's almost impossible to secure a room there overnight.

The best way I can sum it up is this: It's like staying in a dorm room--- but a smaller room, with communal bathrooms. [the public restroom close by] If you ever lived in a college dorm with communal bathrooms, then this will remind you of a similar experience. [especially if nature calls in the middle of the night, and you have to walk to the bathroom] If you didn't have a college experience living in a dorm with communal bathrooms located down the hall, this will provide a very similar experience. :)

It's a totally different experience than staying at the Grand Hyatt DFW, but I still would recommend Minute Suites.

Last edited: Sep 30, 2015
    vickers, chrislacey and Dublin_rfk like this.
  6. vickers

vickers Gold Member

Status Points:
    As promised, here is my trip report. Most of this will echo what @Max M said, but Ill also add a few of my own observations. I called about 7 hours before arriving to make a reservation. They had 8 rooms left. When I arrived, they were sold out, so I definitely recommend a reservation. There were 3 customers in front of me in line, and check-in was a bit slow, mostly due to questions being asked. The check in process was quick for me. I was thirsty, and didn't think that the shops in DFW would all be closed down. Thankfully, the lady at the desk gave me a few bottles of water. She took my back to my room and yep, its small, but cozy. Direct TV service and internet worked great. The white noise machine worked very well.

My only complaint would be that the bed and pillows are a plastic/vinyl type material. No sheets or pillowcases were available, only a blanket. Even through I had the room cold, I would sweat where my skin touched the vinyl (legs and arms). I kept my first class blanket from a previous leg, so I put the one they provided on top of the couch and covered with my blanket, but my head was also sweaty on the pillow.

As previously discussed, there were no bathrooms, but there are bathrooms in the terminal right next door. Employees were very friendly.

All in all, I am glad I stayed to experience it. It beats sleeping in the terminal, and the real positive is that you don't have to go back through security. But, its no Grand Hyatt :) 11.JPG 12.JPG 13.JPG