minor scam at Bangkok Airport train

Discussion in 'General Discussion | Travel' started by jonspencer, Dec 20, 2013.  |  Print Topic

1. jonspencer

jonspencer Silver Member

Status Points:
    the train to Makassan from Savarnabhumi never seems to have many passengers and the huge station in town really seemed empty except for the exit that was manned by some security group

I often take airport trains at least into the city proper if I am alone and not carrying too much luggage (Moscow, Hong Kong, Dubai......) and I was surprised to catch the last train the other night

there was a big sign to beware of illegal taxis and the security guys asked where I was going and then wrote it on some form. I went outside with one of the guys to catch the cab but we waited for 10 minutes despite dozens of empty taxis rolling by

so of course the taxi that picked me up wanted to charge a flat fee and said his meter did not work. I told him no problem I would just get out.

then of course another taxi took me to my hotel for like 15% of what my supposed non-illegal taxi cost

it is all rather silly because taxis are so cheap and plentiful in Bangkok where your fare to go almost anywhere in town is rarely but a few dollars :cool:

Flyer1976, anileze and Sweet Willie like this.
  2. Sweet Willie
    Original Member

Sweet Willie Gold Member

Status Points:
    I thought I had spoken with another MPer that mentioned there are gang/Thai mob controlled taxis, not in BKK but another city (sorry can't recall the name). Could it be they are trying to move into BKK?
    what was his demeanor like after you stated that?

anileze likes this.
  3. jonspencer

jonspencer Silver Member

Status Points:
    my understanding from over the past 20 years of going on motorcycle tours here is almost everything in Thailand is controlled by the military and/or the police

that being said Thailand works remarkably well for a place with a high 'weird factor' and still a fabulous value for tourists

4. estnet
    Original Member

estnet Gold Member

Status Points:
    PHUKET- some really nasty stuff by the taxi mafia, not only charging too much but actually hurting people INCLUDING tourists with one awful incident of a driver hitting a foreigner with a tire iron for REFUSING to get into his taxi! one of many reasons I no longer go there.

anileze likes this.
  5. Kalboz
    Original Member

Kalboz Gold Member

Status Points:
  6. jonspencer

jonspencer Silver Member

Status Points:
    I visited Phuket many years ago and never plan to return

plenty of nice places in Thailand without visiting there

Flyer1976 and Kalboz like this.