Minor name change (spelling) after ticketing on partner airlines

Discussion in 'United Airlines | MileagePlus' started by lichenlt, May 1, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. lichenlt
    Original Member

lichenlt Silver Member

Status Points:
    I booked an award reservation for my family using United miles on partner airlines (TG & SQ), but stupid as I was, I spelled the first name wrong (very minor, two letters). Now I called United, the agent told me that they couldn't change the name. The only option was to pay $150 to redeposit the miles and book again. Is that true? Do I have any other options? Thank you.

2. desamo

desamo Gold Member

Status Points:
    Try calling back a few times. Technically it is a cancel and rebook.

lichenlt likes this.
  3. gleff
    Original Member

gleff Co-founder

Status Points:
    No name changes after ticketing. Whether or not the misspelling is material is another matter. What's the misspell?

lichenlt and JohnDeere19 like this.
  4. DeacFlyer1
    Original Member

DeacFlyer1 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Not trying to rub salt in the wound, but this is why I'm a fan of placing awards on hold, logging into the reservation online and reviewing the details, and then calling back to ticket.

lichenlt and JohnDeere19 like this.
  5. lichenlt
    Original Member

lichenlt Silver Member

Status Points:
    I called three times and none of them was willing to waive the fee. so I ended up paying the fee to redeposit the miles. Now, the last segment of my round-trip itinerary doesn't show I class available. Can I book it in X and wait till I class opens up and change it to I since the total miles were calculated based on I itinerary? Will there be a fee to make such a change?

6. lichenlt
    Original Member

lichenlt Silver Member

Status Points:
    I was going to put it on hold, but didn't find the hold button. I only learned later that there is a trick to hold the ticket for 24hrs.

7. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Status Points:
    How significant were the wrong letters? I've had awards booked one or two of many times and have never woried about it.

lichenlt likes this.
  8. lichenlt
    Original Member

lichenlt Silver Member

Status Points:
    The wrong spelling was something like Kuongmeng, while the correct one should be Kuongmao. I just couldn't risk it.