Minor dispute with ANA re: lost baggage -was I out of line?

Discussion in 'ANA | Mileage Club' started by sendaiben, Feb 17, 2013.  |  Print Topic

1. sendaiben
    Original Member

sendaiben Gold Member

Status Points:
    Hello everyone

The ANA diaries continue :D

I have a slightly dull story for you. At the end, I would like some feedback as to whether what I did was appropriate. All comments welcome, except those from JALPak :p

Yesterday, my wife was supposed to fly Sendai-Narita-London. Due to heavy snow, her flight was delayed for a couple of hours, and she missed all the direct flights.

ANA put her on a flight to London via Frankfurt.

The problem is that she was due to fly to Malta five hours after arriving in London. Once she routed through Frankfurt, that became about an hour after arriving.

Somehow she made it to Malta, but her bag didn't. She asked at the airport, but didn't get much of an answer.

So now she's in Malta with no bag and no clothes. No contact from the airline, so she asked me to follow up with ANA. I am flying today, so I asked at the airport.

First I was told to call Narita myself. I did so, and they told me there was nothing they could do until my wife arrived back at Narita on Sunday.

Then I talked to the staff here again, and they said the only thing was for me to call Lufthansa in Frankfurt (it was a codeshare flight to London) and Air Malta in London and ask them myself.

I got a bit annoyed at this point, and told them that was unacceptable. We'd bought a ticket on ANA, so I expected them to call the other airlines for me and find it. I was a bit emphatic about this.

They then spent 45 minutes looking, found the bag in London, and confirmed that it would arrive in Malta in five hours or so.

I felt a bit bad about being the firm, annoyed foreigner. What do you think? Is it reasonable for them to brush me off initially? I'm pretty sure the staff I talked to agreed with me though and couldn't really justify their company's policy ;)

IDGflygirl, marcwint55 and bobsgt like this.
  2. LIH Prem
    Original Member

LIH Prem Gold Member

Status Points:
    the responsibility for baggage is usually with the last carrier of the trip. (regardless of who lost it along the way.)

-David

3. sendaiben
    Original Member

sendaiben Gold Member

Status Points:
    Hmmm. So that's a nice way of telling me I was out of line ;)

I have to admit, I become a bit less reasonable when my wife is involved!

Thanks for the confirmation.

4. bobsgt
    Original Member

bobsgt Gold Member

Status Points:
    While David is factually correct in his statement, I don't think it answered your question as to if you were out of line.

I would say you were not out of line, as is evidenced by the fact that your interaction with ANA was successful. Your wife received her luggage (presumably) in five hours instead of days. You have not received an email from ANA cancelling your account or your wife's ticket, or been added to the ASEAN no-fly list.

Unless you made the agent cry or disparaged his/her mother, I think you simply got them to do what you expected them to do in the first place, to wit, getting your wife and her luggage to the destination.

I am presenting you with the Golden Crane Award for your achievement! :)
    jal.jpg

5. marcwint55

marcwint55 Gold Member

Status Points:
    I personally do not think you were out of line. Regardless of who should really be contacted first, the idea is to get your baggage ASAP. If calling fifteen different people accomplishes this and you were not rude to the people, you did the right thing.

sendaiben and LIH Prem like this.
  6. sendaiben
    Original Member

sendaiben Gold Member

Status Points:
    Thanks for the crane award :D

I didn't make anyone cry. I just asked the agent to call a supervisor, as it was clear that she couldn't really do anything, and expressed my disappointment that ANA was pretending the situation had nothing to do with them.

The supervisor made some calls, and 45 minutes later I had the information I wanted.

I'm going to send a letter expressing my thanks -hopefully that will go some way towards making up for it...

If it was me on the ground I'd have worked it out with Air Malta, but my wife is too nice and I wanted to make sure this didn't spoil her trip ;)

IDGflygirl, marcwint55 and LIH Prem like this.
  7. LIH Prem
    Original Member

LIH Prem Gold Member

Status Points:
    Bob had it right, I didn't really respond to that part of it.

It may have explained the difficulty you had in getting a response from them in the first place, but it turned out that your persistence paid off.

-David

marcwint55 and sendaiben like this.
  8. sendaiben
    Original Member

sendaiben Gold Member

Status Points:
    A quick addendum to this: my wife went to the airport to pick up her bag, and Air Malta staff (who didn't bother to contact her once) told her it wasn't at the airport.

She insisted, based on the information provided by ANA, and lo and behold, the bag was produced.

I just finished writing a glowing letter of thanks to customer relations at ANA, so hopefully the staff that helped me will get some kind of recognition.

Now thinking I did the right thing :)

LIH Prem and IDGflygirl like this.
  9. JALPak
    Original Member

JALPak Gold Member

Status Points:
    So first slap on the face then write a thank you letter to make it up? :p The Queen should have sorted it out with Air Malta in the first place when her luggages didn't arrive. Could have saved you some troubles calling 10 different people to sort this out afterwards.

10. daboogah

daboogah Silver Member

Status Points:
    You werent out of line at all. All Nippon should humble themselves and try remember what it was like to earning customers before they turned into the old JAL. Its sad to know what could have been such a good company is so arrogant and full of themselves. I applaud you for writing a letter of gratitude. Fairly good chance they wont even mention the bad experience (of originally losing your luggage) but glow on their staff about what a fine thing they did.

JALPak likes this.
  11. sendaiben
    Original Member

sendaiben Gold Member

Status Points:
    No one got slapped, Mr Pak. Also, I seem to remember specifically not requesting your input on this matter :p

JALPak and IDGflygirl like this.
  12. Simon
    Original Member

Simon Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    lol?

LIH Prem likes this.
  13. sendaiben
    Original Member

sendaiben Gold Member

Status Points:
    Pre-emptive strike (see first post in this thread) :D

JALPak likes this.
  14. JALPak
    Original Member

JALPak Gold Member

Status Points:
    yea like that's going to stop me :p Next time travel together and be ready to be the bad guy