Minimum spending start time?

Discussion in 'Newbies' started by Dangjr213, Aug 31, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. Dangjr213

Dangjr213 Gold Member

Status Points:
    I typically only apply for 1 card at a time. I can usually hit the minimum spend in the first month or two so I don't have to worry about it.

I'm not a big spender, I typically charge $2800 (not counting things like AP)

I was just approved for the ink bold and will need all 3 months to hit the $10k. Can anyone tell me what the start time is for minimum spending with Chase? Does it start from application date, approval date, activation date, or do they simply mean the first 3 billing statements?

2. edekba

edekba Gold Member

Status Points:
    Application date from my understanding.

wrxmom, JohnDeere19 and Dangjr213 like this.
  3. Million Mile Secrets

Million Mile Secrets Silver Member

Status Points:
    I believe it is 93 days since the day you were approved for the card.

Dangjr213 and edekba like this.
  4. Dangjr213

Dangjr213 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Thank you both. I was hoping for activation date. Now I loose the two weeks it takes for them to send me my card.

JohnDeere19 likes this.
  5. Mikus33

Mikus33 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Call them up and ask them if they will expedite the card to you. I've called AMEX before, and they've sent my card overnight because I explained I had some big expenses coming up quickly. I may have done this with a Chase card as well, but I can't remember for sure.

6. Dangjr213

Dangjr213 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Call the recon line or just chase customer service?

7. Mikus33

Mikus33 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Customer service should do the trick.

8. Dangjr213

Dangjr213 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Just got off the phone with customer service. They said they couldn't expedite sending it out because even though it was approved it hasn't been set up yet

Oh well I should still be able to meet the spend in two and a half months, just hate the thought of cutting it close. I'm just impatient and can't wait to get he card

9. wrxmom

wrxmom Gold Member

Status Points:
    Bummer :(. Wishing you luck in meeting the minimum spend on time. :)

Dangjr213 likes this.
  10. Mikus33

Mikus33 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Just have it expedited once it's been set up. Give it a day, and it should be set up. Call back tomorrow, and see if it's good to go.

11. thesterlingtraveler

thesterlingtraveler Gold Member

Status Points:
    AmEx automatically expedited my card. Hope you get it soon. Good luck!

12. servo

servo Silver Member

Status Points:
    Consider adding your mortgage payment or car payment via chargesmart for a few months to ease your concerns (unless you've already factored that into your $ amount you mentioned). Yes, they charge a fee, but for meeting minimum spends, it makes sense.

13. 2soonold
    Original Member

2soonold Gold Member

Status Points:
    I hate minimum spend; I'm not that kind of consumer.(and I don't churn cards)
    I did one for $3000 earlier this year with Chase. Chase has a reputation for good customer service. I called during the last 30 days, and they were absolutely able to tell me the end date. What was interesting was that they were very vague about if I was going to make the minimum spend. I had, of course, been keeping a record of the spend; still it was unsettling enough that I wound up over spending by $400 for the total period.
    Looking back, I think my mistake was that I only put $400 spend on that first month. Now I advise people who decide to do a credit card spend to put as much on the spend, as they responsibly can, on the card as early as possible in the time period.

cvsara, Sunshine7 and edekba like this.
  14. cvsara
    Original Member

cvsara Gold Member

Status Points:
    Then, near the end, checking the amount of spend, allows you to 'nibble' at that spend amount. I'm doing that with my Explorer card that has a 10K mile bonus that must be met by the last day, or maybe, the last billing cycle of the year. The site is a bit 'fuzzy' on that one. No matter, I'm close to it, and have taken this opportunity to feed the wife's Explorer card. Gotta love business expenses on a CC.

2soonold likes this.