Minimum spend seems to be coming for each status level

Discussion in 'Air Canada | Aeroplan' started by guinnessxyz, Jun 19, 2013.  |  Print Topic

1. Both Delta and now UA have instituted minimum spend to reach each level in their FF programs.
    To get the equivalent of SE a minimum spend of $10K will be required and it goes down to $2.5K for prestige equivalent.

Will we see this in time with AC?

mtlfire, LETTERBOY and uggboy like this.
  2. canucklehead
    Original Member

canucklehead Gold Member

Status Points:
    They have already done this by separating the fare difference between Tango (0% AQM in Canada, 50% elsewhere) and Flex (100% AQM). By getting the consumer to purchase Flex tickets if they want to gain Altitude status, this is virtually the same as shifting elite status to a revenue basis.

mtlfire and YULtide like this.
  3. No real disagreement there but the reason T fares exist is the demand from large Corporate customers who don't want to "pay" for employee loyalty programs. If you , as an employer with an airline annual spend of say $20MM counted the cost of people flying to get status what would you do? AC only responded to a demand in the marketplace from some of their top customers.

4. YEGman

YEGman Silver Member

Status Points:
    Only applies to Mileage Plus Members whose account address is in the 50 States and DC.

I'm only 1 RT from Gold already and I'm off to EWR non-stop from YEG in early July!:)

YULtide and canucklehead like this.
  5. canucklehead
    Original Member

canucklehead Gold Member

Status Points:

Yes, as discussed on the UA threads here and on FT, as well as the AC FT thread, so far, residents outside the 50 states and PR are not subject to the rule. That is good news for non-US residents though, who knows if it will stay as policy.

Congrats on being Gold, sounds like you would prob end up as Plat or 1K by EOY. I have another couple of yrs to 1MM, so hopefully that continues to be Lifetime Gold.

Sweet Willie and YULtide like this.
  6. Sweet Willie
    Original Member

Sweet Willie Gold Member

Status Points:
    (bolding mine) exactly/agreed. My money would be on citizens other than US being subjected to minimum spends as well.

canucklehead likes this.
  7. tomh009
    Original Member

tomh009 Gold Member

Status Points:
    $10K for SE level isn't really a very high bar. Even for someone like me, flying on corporate lowest-fare policies, $10K is way less than my annual spend on AC. All this eliminates is (most of the) people getting status on MRs.

YULtide likes this.
  8. YEGman

YEGman Silver Member

Status Points:
    As has been pointed out in several instances on the UA threads both here and on FT, non-US residents already pay very high fares and I can assure you that as much as I enjoy the service that UA provides to YEG the fares are quite high in comparison to similar length trips and metal in the USA where there is much greater competion.

In my case, the minimum spend would not be a problem given that I buy a few front cabins out of my own pocket during the course of a year.:cool:

YULtide likes this.
  9. It used to be possible to get SE status for under $10K but pretty hard, but not impossible, to do anymore.

10. I buy 2 or 3 TATL trips for my wife and I on my own dime every year. You are not very unique in that sense as you appear to be stating.

LETTERBOY likes this.
  11. sfo1
    Original Member

sfo1 Silver Member

Status Points:

I think the only reason UA did not put minimum spends on everyone is that DL did not, and I would guess that unless DL does it sometime in the future UA will not, because UA is a follower not a leader.

12. YEGman

YEGman Silver Member

Status Points:
    Don't worry, you're the only "unique" poster on any board.

13. You should appreciate that uniqueness:D

LETTERBOY likes this.
  14. mtlfire

mtlfire Gold Member

Status Points:

Any idea why? Is it because someone outside of the US would be more likely to move to another airline? Or is it some sort of legal reason?

canucklehead and LETTERBOY like this.
  15. tomh009
    Original Member

tomh009 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Currency exchange alone would make that rule more complicated alone outside the US. What exchange rate would you use for that? Given that people living outside the US are likely to easily exceed those minimums anyway, it's probably not worth the trouble.

mtlfire and canucklehead like this.
  16. canucklehead
    Original Member

canucklehead Gold Member

Status Points:
    One could only speculate (and that is all one can do without specific comment from the powers that be at United) but I suspects a few reasons may come into play including
    1) no similar policy with non US-airlines - United appears to be following DL's policy (US only); they would probably still want to compete with AC, despite being partners in Star Alliance
    2) as tomh009, given the costs in Canada, similar 1Ks are likely to be near that level, and non-US customers may not have the Chase cc option for spend

YULtide, LETTERBOY and mtlfire like this.