Minimum Spend & Credit Card Account Opening Date?

Discussion in 'Newbies' started by rosacreative, Sep 25, 2013.  |  Print Topic

1. rosacreative

rosacreative New Member

Status Points:
    So, I just received my first two cards: Chase Sapphire Preferred and Chase Ink Bold. They both have a minimum spend within 90 days of opening the account. How do I know the exact date the account was opened? I assume this is different than the date I activated my card? I'm just trying to figure out when exactly I have to meet the minimum. It's feeling a little tight, and I'm a little scared of doing too much of the manufactured spending so soon and with so little experience.

Sorry if this is a dumb question. The world of credit cards in general is rather new to me.

2. edekba

edekba Gold Member

Status Points:
    send a message through chase.com asking when the start date is.

$8000 in 3M is kinda tough if you don't spend that much to begin with. AP/VR/GC ... Maybe stock up on GC for Xmas spending?

3. deant
    Original Member

deant Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    It is typically the date that the credit card was APPROVED. For example, if you received an instant approval, it is the date of application. Unless you had a significant delay between application and getting an approval, I always just consider the application date as the start date.

Also, to be on the safe side, you want to complete the spending a few days prior to the 90 days so that the spend can post prior to the 90 days.

4. rosacreative

rosacreative New Member

Status Points:
    I hadn't even noticed the message center! Thanks for pointing it out.

Yeah, I have some wedding expenses coming up that I'll be putting on the card and I got the fiance a card as well, but he doesn't spend much either in a month. I may have to go the AP/GC route to make the minimum in the end.

Lesson learned for my next set of cards :) I'll plan more carefully for those.

5. rosacreative

rosacreative New Member

Status Points:
    Interesting...I got approved instantly for the CSP, but the Ink Bold took about 2 weeks to get approved and come in the mail. I'm sending Chase a message to confirm the account opening date. Let's see what they say :)

Also, good point about the delay in spend posting before the 90 days. Hadn't even crossed my mind! Thanks so much for helping a newbie out!

6. flynhwn

flynhwn Silver Member

Status Points:
    If they don't answer clearly because you have two accounts and customer service gets confused-Call them. Fast and Easy

7. deant
    Original Member

deant Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    Did you actually get the Ink card in 2 weeks? If so, it was probably approved very close to the date you applied.

8. rosacreative

rosacreative New Member

Status Points:
    Okay, so I checked my emails. I applied for both cards at the same time. I got immediately approved for the Sapphire Preferred on Sept 7 and then had to wait for them to review my application for the Ink Bold. I got another email Sept 20 stating that my Ink Bold was approved and it arrived some days later in the mail.

I called Chase and they said the account opening day was Sept 16 for the Ink Bold. Guess there's no way to really know the exact date unless you call or get approved instantly. I cant find it anywhere in "My Account" online.

9. LarryInNYC

LarryInNYC Gold Member

Status Points:

In my opinion, the only safe path is to assume you were approved at the moment you applied. I wouldn't want a 50K mile bonus to be dependent on spending within a few days of the cutoff. Get it over with early. If you have access to VR cards, that's an easy way to take care of the whole thing in a few days.

10. Singapore Flyer

Singapore Flyer Silver Member

Status Points:
    If you go the route of large purchases without a history with Chase, i would call in advance to let them know. I am going to be making large purchases for my wedding, renovations, etc...this way you can make large GC/VRC purchases without setting off the fraud alerts. If you live in a state that still has Amex for Target, thats another way to get through your MSR quicker if you can float it.

$1000 - APS (if you have a verified account)/month x2
    $500 - $2000 - buy the initial card and load with $500, then wait for the card and load $1000 each time up to $2500 on the card per 30 days
    $500-xxxx - GCs/VRCs/PPs
    throw in regular spend, you made your MSR on both cards in 3 months.