Minimum miles/point balances?

Discussion in 'General Discussion | Miles/Points' started by Denro, Nov 14, 2013.  |  Print Topic

1. Denro

Denro Silver Member

As a result of the many recent devaluations, many have kept emphasizing the phrase "earn and burn". I'm fairly new to the hobby, so each of my airline and hotel balances are below 100k. My United balance is the highest with 99,000 miles. I'm curious to hear everyone's strategy, do you truly "earn and burn" to keep each program account close to zero? Or, do you maintain a high enough balance in several programs in order to cover a last minute or emergency trip?
  2. MSYgirl

MSYgirl Gold Member

So far I have been hoarding. I broke my 100k with AA, so perhaps I will spend some miles next year for a few upcoming international trips (although 100k doesn't go far, so I might just keep on hoarding). :D
  3. Reddishbead

Reddishbead Silver Member

I use Aeroplan mostly (and a bit of Avios) and we have had enough devaluation these recent years that I'm confident (fingers crossed!) that we won't see anymore for a while.

At any rate, since AE is going to ask for more miles from January 1, 2014, I decided to travel in business class for a trip to Asia next summer and booked my flights already before they get more expensive mile-wise; otherwise, I had planned to travel in economy and save my miles for a later trip with my family, but I figured I'll have time to get enough miles for that anyway but probably won't get another chance to fly biz for so cheap.