Minimum Age for AmEx Supplementary Card

Discussion in 'American Express | Membership Rewards' started by CdnTraveller, Apr 8, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. CdnTraveller
    Original Member

CdnTraveller Silver Member

Status Points:
    I tried to apply for a Supplementary Card on my American Express Aeroplan Plus card today. I wanted to get one for my son for emergencies since he will be going away to university next fall. I wasn't able to get one because he isn't yet 18. Apparently there is a minimum age of 18 to get a supplementary card. He won't be 18 until after he has completed his first year of university. I understand there are other options for getting him a CC for emergencies, prepaid, etc. I'm just not sure why they need this rule in place for a supplementary card since it would be totally secured by my card anyway.

2. gomike
    Original Member

gomike Silver Member

Status Points:
    Just put in a different birthdate.

CdnTraveller likes this.
  3. CdnTraveller
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Good idea but I was trying to do it on the phone because the option didn't come up properly on line. I wonder if they'll have made a record of my attempt and will know if I try to do it with another DOB?

4. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    IIRC, this rule has been in effect for at least a couple decades. I suspect it's because in some jurisdictions a person under 18 cannot enter into a legally binding contract, so that his signature on a charge slip would effectively be meaningless. However, I also remember landlords refusing to rent to under 21s for supposedly the same reason.

5. CdnTraveller
    Original Member

Status Points:
    I guess that gives away the fact that I'm at least a couple of decades past 18 ;) - my first CC (under similar circumstances) was a supplementary card on my dad's AmEx. I don't remember if I was over 18 though -- if I was probably just over 18 at the time.

6. geclub1
    Original Member

geclub1 Silver Member

Status Points:
    This could be country specific. In the US, additional cardholder needs to be 15.

7. DJP_707
    Original Member

DJP_707 Silver Member

Status Points:
    I can confirm it is 15 in the US I got my daughter a card before she went on a school trip to Paris last month.

8. emajy
    Original Member

emajy Silver Member

Status Points:
    Both my daughters got Platinum cards before they were 18. Problem was they cannot get into the airline clubs that serve alcohol until they reach 21:(