Mini RTW with LX question

Discussion in 'Miles & More | Lufthansa, SWISS, Austrian/Partners' started by vbroucek, Apr 4, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. vbroucek
    Original Member

vbroucek Silver Member

Status Points:
    I have mini RTW with LX booked in C and I need advice on the procedures during the second part of it. I am flying LX016 from ZRH to JFK, having few days there and then UA863 from JFK to SYD (never done before and my only second trip to USA). I understand that there is airplane change over at SFO and that's where I am struggling. I know that if I did it the other way (SYD-JFK) I would have to collect luggage at SFO, clear immigration and customs and hand it back to UA again. Am I correctly thinking that if doing JFK-SYD, luggage goes through without needing to do anything at SFO?

2. drdubs
    Original Member

drdubs Silver Member

Status Points:
    Yes, your luggage should be checked at JFK all the way to Sydney. Make sure to take your baggage claim ticket upon check-in at JFK so you have a printed record just in case of a problem, but everything should be fine. Enjoy the trip!

vbroucek likes this.
  3. vbroucek
    Original Member

vbroucek Silver Member

Status Points:
    Thanks.

4. Lufthansa Flyer
    Original Member

Lufthansa Flyer Gold Member

Status Points:
    no problems, should be checked all the way through to syd

5. kwai
    Original Member

kwai Gold Member

Status Points:
    On the 'direct' flight there's no problem with checking your luggage through. The only time you'd find UA difficult is if you overnight in a city before continuing on. But then you'd probably want your bags anyway.

You will need to walk from the domestic gates, flights from JFK tend to park in the 80's, to the international terminal, but that should take no more than 15 minutes, and can be done in less than 10 if you're in a pinch. With 87 minutes of connection you should have no worries.

6. vbroucek
    Original Member

vbroucek Silver Member

Status Points:
    Thanks, kwai. I have been to SFO airport before and found it OK. I just was not sure how they handle luggage on this "direct" flight :)

kwai likes this.