Mini RTW trip report from jfhscott

Discussion in 'Trip Reports' started by jfhscott, Nov 28, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. jfhscott
    Original Member

jfhscott Silver Member

Status Points:
    Well, on 12/1 I shall depart on an Aeroplan-booked 10 day mini RTW, routing will be IAD-FRA-TXL (stop) TXL-MUC-BKK (destination) BKK-NRT (12 hour layover) NRT-ICN (stop) ICN-JFK-IAD.

All longhauls will be in F, on LH, Thai, UA, and OZ.

Lodging in Berlin will be at a friend's house, in BKK at Tower Club at Lebua (a very nice skyauction.com deal) and in Seoul at the Renaissance (from fall promotion).

I'll add more information as it becomes available, and please stay posted if you want!

viguera, cordray2643, zpaul and 2 others like this.
  2. cennas
    Original Member

cennas Gold Member

Status Points:
    Nice routing! Have a nice trip and looking forward to the report!

lwkatya likes this.
  3. jfhscott
    Original Member

jfhscott Silver Member

Status Points:
    Good afternoon,

My trip is underway. I arrived at IAD at about 3:00 and made my was first to the UA F lounge, just to verify that it is as lacking for an F lounge as I have experienced otherwise. In that department, the UA F lounge once again failed to disappoint. It is dark and completely uninspired in design. Alcohol offerings are ok. Food is embarassing. By 3:30, the bread of the finger sandwiches was curling up due to overexposure. Cheese consists of cheddar, pepperjack and a couple boring standards. There is shrimp cocktail, which is nice, but uninspired. The "sushi" is as cold as the fridge from whence it comes. I cannot wait for the F lounge in FRA!.

I moved onto the SEN lounge in B, from which I report. The food is not more "deluxe" than the UA F lounge, but it is far more inspired, and the design of the SEN lounge is far more superior and inviting. I do have to note that 1 hour and 10 minutes prior to the LH flight, it is terribly crowded, and the servers seem a bit thin and harried by requests and replacing food on the buffet. And the wifi here has gotten terribly slow under the weight of so many guests. I have previously enjoyed this lounge as the *A gold lounge which admits UA *A golds, but have come at less busy times. What I am experiencing pushes the limitations of the lounge. I do like looking out the window, knowing that I will soon be on the 747's UD, enjoying the serentiy which is to be had there.

4. jfhscott
    Original Member

jfhscott Silver Member

Status Points:
    I'm at the FRA A FCL. Boy does LH do this so much better than UA!

Flight to TXL departs soon. Glad to see that airport before it closes.