mini-RTW F 'dummy' booking

Discussion in 'Air Canada | Aeroplan' started by wwtsang, Jul 4, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. wwtsang

wwtsang Silver Member

Status Points:
    hi all, due to the upcoming stampede before the increase and as i'm not sure of my vacation plans for next year, my 'plan' has been to book an asia 1 award in F (online), then pay the change fee and attempting to get all my segments (while maximizing F) later on (way after July 15th)

is there any serious flaw in my plan? i know as long as my reward stays in the same zone i can make changes without incurring the increased mileage

2. gleff
    Original Member

gleff Co-founder

Status Points:
    The CAD$90 change fee is even quite reasonable IMHO so yeah I believe that works..

JohnDeere19 likes this.
  3. wwtsang

wwtsang Silver Member

Status Points:
    thanks Gary, I booked yesterday for May 2012, if I'm reading the T&C correctly I should be good as long as my first leg starts within a year of when the ticket was issued

4. gleff
    Original Member

gleff Co-founder

Status Points:
    without looking at the T&C I would have assumed that travel would have to be complete within a year of date of issue, but as I say i haven't actually looked at that.

5. gleff
    Original Member

gleff Co-founder

Status Points:
    and remember you need to make your changes at least 3 weeks prior to departure of first segment.

6. milestoburn
    Original Member

milestoburn Gold Member

Status Points:
    i seem to recall a post over on FT that seemed to suggest changes would up the miles. i am not 100% sure though.

7. NYBanker
    Original Member

NYBanker Gold Member

Status Points:
    Can you change your routing - or just the dates?

8. gleff
    Original Member

gleff Co-founder

Status Points:
    routing prior to departure, dates only (not even carriers) post-departure

but you need to make routing changes 21 days prior to departure or more, otherwise you need to pay $90 to change your dates first to be more than 21 days out and then change your routing for another $90 (and if you want to fly within 21 days, you'd then need to change your daes again for another $90!)

MSPeconomist likes this.
  9. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    That's a nice trick that if you're otherwise not allowed to change the routing, you first change dates so that you can and then change the dates with the new routing to what you want. Of course, it must depend on something (any class?) being available for a date when you can change the routing. Still a lot of fees, but could be worth it to get IFC on a top carrier.

10. Mr. Max

Mr. Max Silver Member

Status Points:
    I'm not sure this will work. My understanding is that any changes following the 15th will result in the new higher number of points being charged. Its probably worth getting some clarification of this prior to booking.

Scrub that: it looks okay

Andrew Yiu
    Company Representative

Changes to tickets booked prior to Jul 15: I've double checked with Aeroplan and for tickets that are issued prior to Jul 15: if you want to change dates/flights or routings; you will not be subject to an additional collection in miles (if level has gone up) as long as you stay within the same zone. If you change cabin then you will be subject to the new level.

11. MikeIAH
    Original Member

MikeIAH Silver Member

Status Points:
    Thank you so much for this information. I was feeling hopeless because I could not find an ideal routing. But this thread sealed the deal for me. I don't know when I'll go (I'm booked for May-June 2012) but it's nice to be able to change this to an ideal routing. Hopefully, with LX F, TG F, LH F, any airline F. I'll take UA F too!