Mini DOs and Don'ts

Discussion in 'Newbies' started by CharlesG, Mar 7, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. CharlesG

CharlesG Gold Member

Status Points:
    Hey all! I was just wondering if there was a listed process/etiquette for setting up a mini meetup. I had floated the idea of doing a semi-regular NYC BurgerDO with some others on MP, and wanted to know if there was anything I should be aware of before trying to set it up and publicizing it here on the board (as it is not an official MP event).

Thanks for the feedback!

2. alohastephen

alohastephen Gold Member

Status Points:
    I wish there were a Teddy's Burger DO in HNL. ;)

3. Sweet Willie
    Original Member

Sweet Willie Gold Member

Status Points:
    simply go to the meetups forum and post. http://milepoint.com/forums/forums/meetups.148/

MP seems to be very hit n miss with Meetups, some that I would expect to have attendees don't & others get swamped. Go figure, nature of the beast, so don't get discouraged if no one attends, keep trying. Lord knows I do, but am starting to question why when MPers don't seem to be the type that come out for social events (unless tied to a weekend where either some sort of MegaDo or training/seminar is going on)

As far as rules go, the only #1 rule I know of is that all MPers be able to attend.

Edited to Add: if anyone is in the Chicago area, there is a lunch event today: http://milepoint.com/forums/threads/mar-7-2012-chicago-lunch-chicago-il.29270/
    as well as a dinner next Tuesday evening.

4. miles and smiles
    Original Member

miles and smiles Gold Member

Status Points:
    Just make sure that there are vegetarian alternatives. Otherwise the Milepoint Vegetarian Swat Team will descend on your DO and demand free Veggie Burgers. :D

As Sweet Willie has said, go for it. I would advise you to also post notices in threads where New Yorkers hang out. FL*Lounge is one that you might not know about.

5. Sweet Willie
    Original Member

Sweet Willie Gold Member

Status Points:
    or fruit, maybe apples?;)

CharlesG, seeing as you are in NYC, you know there are PLENTY of different food options, while burgers are cheap, I've found there is also interest in trying many different cuisines (Polish, Korean, Mexican, Fine Dining, Chocolate buffets, etc etc). The key to some of the other dining options is to manage folks expectations for booze costs, thankfully most dinner Do's I've held, most seem to be a 1 or 2 drink crowd so everyone was fine with splitting the bill. That's why I love going to BYOB places, everyone's happy, drinkers & non-drinkers.

Edited to Add: nice lunch today, 9 folks showed. Good points/miles talk as well as misc.

6. CharlesG

CharlesG Gold Member

Status Points:
    Thanks for the advice, Sweet Willie! This came out of the best burgers thread, and with people saying they wanted to try everyone else's suggestions. It just seems so easy, but I'll let you know how we do!

7. Sweet Willie
    Original Member

Sweet Willie Gold Member

Status Points:
    correct, no-brainer, go with the flow!!

8. catgirl
    Original Member

catgirl Gold Member

Status Points:
    I would love to attend a Chicago dinner at some point. Lunches are always out for me as I work and live in the northern burbs. Dinner is a challenge too especially with traffic into the city and I rarely leave work at a normal time.

Are there ever any dinners in the burbs? :)

9. Sweet Willie
    Original Member

Sweet Willie Gold Member

Status Points:
    funny you should ask, yes there was one in Wheeling at Bob Chinn's in late Jan 2012. In the past there have been dinners in Wilmette, Waukegan, Deerfield, Bolingbrook, Glendale Heights, Rolling Meadows, Schaumburg, Flossmoor, Des Plaines, etc (just to name a few towns;)) . At least in the Chicago area, about 2/3 (this is my guesstimate) of Meetups are held inside the city limits of Chicago as attendance is greater as well as the variety of restaurants to choose from.

The easiest way to keep track to take a gander at the Meetups forum, MP does a very good job of mapping the venue as well as having a header that highlights near term upcoming Meetups.

10. ArizonaGuy
    Original Member

ArizonaGuy Silver Member

Status Points:
    Just because I'm going to be in Seoul for several days over Labor Day weekend, someone should set up a Seoul / ICN Do. (Sorry to hijack thread)

11. CharlesG

CharlesG Gold Member

Status Points:
  12. Tenmoc
    Original Member

Tenmoc Gold Member

Status Points:
    Hey Charles. There really isn't anything to it other than posting it in the calendar and then a thread. The group will grow and flux. The real issue in DO planning comes when reservations become required. As great a group of people as this site and FT and other are, you will have issues getting people to confirm and to show as they say.

The real key is plan things you really want to do and don't mind doing whether or not anyone else shows. That way there is a built in value to you. This will help keep motivation moving for you.

Lunch in the city is not easy in the city as I no longer commute, but it is possible we can attend dinner. Esp on the weekend.

I look forward to your offerings and hope to attend when I can.

13. Sweet Willie
    Original Member

Sweet Willie Gold Member

Status Points:
    I organized a Seoul Meetup/Do a few years ago, if you need suggestions, let me know, what a great time our group had in Seoul which is not recognized enough for being an Asian urban travel destination.
    let me know when you are coming to town & we'll make it happen!!
    Tenmoc, I've cut out what I feel are some key points from your post, while no doubt most folks would probably like to have a meetup on a weekend, because of that exact flux issue you mention and folks not firmly commiting is why personally I don't usually plan meetups on a weekend as it is not easy (sometimes impossible) to increase the size of a reservation on weekend nights (Fri,Sat,Sun). However there are so few restaurants that will not welcome an increase in a reservation on weekday nights as business is generally much slower. On my last weekend meetup I actually had to last minute change the venue as just a handfull of last minute folks decided to commit and that was too much for the restaurant to handle, they wouldn't increase the reservation as it was a weekend and they were packed.

On a side, personal note, I think attendees appreciate a weekday meetup more as that leaves the weekend free to spend with family.

TravelMusing, CharlesG and Tenmoc like this.
  14. ArizonaGuy
    Original Member

ArizonaGuy Silver Member

Status Points:
    That depends entirely upon who the attendees are. Are they road warriors who only get weekends for home/family? or are they points obsessed leisure travelers who work M-F and prefer not to burn valuable time off if they can travel on weekends instead?

TravelMusing, CharlesG and Tenmoc like this.
  15. Tenmoc
    Original Member

Tenmoc Gold Member

Status Points:
    I can understand.

Just basing my response on planning meetings like this for other websites in NYC and helping with Cow Do in EZE.

TravelMusing and CharlesG like this.
  16. Sweet Willie
    Original Member

Sweet Willie Gold Member

Status Points:
    I can't answer that, my statement was a personal belief/thought.

TravelMusing and CharlesG like this.
  17. CharlesG

CharlesG Gold Member

Status Points:
    Tenmoc, you also have to let me know where to get the best cow in Bs As, as I am going there later this month.

This is all great feedback; thanks, guys. That's why I think burgers is such a great thing; I'd be happy with me and three others. If it's ten, that's great. And because it's a semi-regular, we can try a variety of days/times. I'll let you know how it goes, and how I plan to lose the weight I am surely going to gain!

TravelMusing likes this.
  18. CharlesG

CharlesG Gold Member

Status Points:
    So we did it! Here's the teaser, and you can find the event in Meetups. Thanks for all the feedback!

Hey fellow MPers in the NYC area! MLW20 and I have had the absolutely gob-smackingly brilliant idea to start a semi-regular 'Do for those of us in the NYC area who love burgers. The gist is this: onece every couple of months, an undetermined number of dedicated MPers will visit one of the best burger spots in NYC to chow down and chat about life, love, and miles.

Look for the official posting in the 'Meetups' section soon, and I hope to see some of you soon!

19. Rejuvenated
    Original Member

Rejuvenated Gold Member

Status Points:
    I know I'm likely to be in the minority here, but I'm going to break out of my silence and be honest with everyone. :)

Throughout all these years, I've been wanting to attend a real DO with FFers just to see what it is like. But due to the death of relatives, schedule conflicts, last minute issues, etc I had to either 1) pass or 2) request to be removed from the confirmed attendee list. It wasn't until last year when I happened to be in San Diego for a business trip that a DO organized by the locals happen to take place while I was there. It turned out to be a coincidence but I decided to attend to get a feel for it. Overall I had a great time and experience that evening; however at the end, I just felt this is something I would not be actively looking to participate again in the future. It has nothing to do with the venue, the restaurant, the people who attended, how the event was organized, nor the overall atmosphere. I have nothing against what took place that evening. I'm also aware every DO isn't the same, but overall, it is something that just doesn't suit my taste. It also doesn't help that I'm a very shy person.

That is why ever since then, whenever a meetup or DO has been posted, I've kept myself silence for the most part of even hinting that I will be an attendee regardless of whether time is on my side or not to be able to make it. But sometimes some people do ask me and are hopeful I could attend. When that happens and to avoid generating a cold response such as "I don't want to go" or "I'm not interested", I have to resort to a different answer such as "I don't know yet" or a simple "I will not be there". That's just who I am and hopefully you can understand as well now that I've elaborated on it. :)

Tenmoc, TravelMusing and CharlesG like this.
  20. CharlesG

CharlesG Gold Member

Status Points:
    Hey, thanks for the POV, Rejuvenated. All things are not for all people, and that's what makes the world such an interesting and exciting a place! Even though your presence is missing from DOs, we're happy to see you on the forums! Just do whatever suits you!

Tenmoc, Rejuvenated and TravelMusing like this.
  21. TravelMusing

TravelMusing Gold Member

Status Points:
    :) Thanks for sharing your thoughts on this, Rej...

Big group meet ups are not for everyone... To be honest, I often feel alone, and self-conscious when going out with a group... and often, I just feel like I don't belong... That's just my nature though... I've been like that all my life... So, I've come to accept it, and work around it... :)

22. CharlesG

CharlesG Gold Member

Status Points:
    Part of me is hoping that the Burger MiniDos will be smaller groups (4-6), so it will feel more engaging and intimate. That said, and occasional large group will be fun, too!

Tenmoc and Rejuvenated like this.
  23. ArizonaGuy
    Original Member

ArizonaGuy Silver Member

Status Points:
    I've received a small number of likes and the list will probably grow. I've never been to Seoul so I'm probably not the best person to plan a Do but I'm willing to give a shot nevertheless! If this gains real interest I'll start a thread of its own.

Right now, my plans for ICN are:
    Arrive August 30th in the evening
    Depart Sept 3rd in the afternoon

That's 4 nights with 3 full calendar days to explore Seoul.

Tenmoc and CharlesG like this.
  24. Tenmoc
    Original Member

Tenmoc Gold Member

Status Points:
    Thanks for the post Rej. :D

Preferring to keep the community on line instead of IRL doesn't make you less a part of it. Different styles for different people. It is all good with us.

You should never have to cover up your ideas or feelings for the public. Although I can understand how it can be easier. We all have our reasons for attending a DO or not. I for one do not do well in large groups.

CharlesG and miles and smiles like this.
  25. Gargoyle
    Original Member

Gargoyle Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    I much prefer the little DO's, like when Willie organizes a lunch and 4 people show up- that is where you can actually talk to people and get to know them. I've been to mega do's, come away from them with the feeling that I only actually met/gotten to know 4 or 5 people, so it's much clearer when there are only 4 or 5 to start with.

CharlesG, miles and smiles and Tenmoc like this.