Mini AOR advice

Discussion in 'Newbies' started by Gustie13, May 18, 2013.  |  Print Topic

1. Gustie13

Gustie13 Member

Status Points:
    Hey all, I just posted this on FW, thought I'd see what ya'lls perspective was:

Did my first AOR at the beginning of March, went a little overboard and signed up for 8 cards (got them all) and I've hit all the min spends already. Thinking of applying for 3 more cards in June for the following reasons: 1) travelling to Europe at the end of June, will use a cc for most expenses over there, 2) I have VRs and MoneyPaks readily available in my area for min/manufactured spend and 3) i'm going to HI in Feb of next year, want to start accumulating Hilton points. I know people are down on Hilton after the devaluation but I like that there are 4 Hilton cards.

Cards I'm thinking of getting: Chase Ink Plus (no forex), Citi Hilton Signature, AMEX Hilton.

Thoughts/feedback?

2. deant
    Original Member

deant Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    What cards did you apply for last time.

3. Gustie13

Gustie13 Member

Status Points:
    Preexisting cards: USAA Cash Rewards World MC & Fido AMEX.
    March AOR: Chase SW Personal & Business, Citi AA, Barclays US Premier & Frontier, US Bank CC Rewards Signature, AMEX PRG & Delta Gold Biz.
    If I had it to do over again I wouldn't have gotten the Barclays USAir or Amex Delta.

4. Jett Rink
    Original Member

Jett Rink Silver Member

Status Points:
    Spamzilla

5. Gustie13

Gustie13 Member

Status Points:
    ?

6. deant
    Original Member

deant Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    Have you thought about what program is best for your location? Key is to have a specific set of goals in mine. From your fist set of applications, it appears that you did not have any real goals in mind and applied for just any card. You want to focus on an alliance that has flights from your area and goes to the destination that you want. Why do you say you would not have done the US Airways card? Many people find it very useful in the long run.

As for getting Hilton points, have you done a Google search on ways to earn HHonors points? Here is a blog that gives a lot of information: www.theman1000.com/2012/02/06/custom-strategy-hilton-hhonors/ - it may be a bit dated but the information is still correct for the most part.

7. Gustie13

Gustie13 Member

Status Points:
    Yes, I fully admit I went a little overboard with my first AOR. I fly out of MSP, which explains the Delta and PRG cards. Southwest has a presence here as well and they were having their 50k points offering at the time so I decided to go for the Companion Pass.
    I have a trip planned to HI in Feb but I'm not sure we'll stay in hotels (there will be 4 of us). I did some more research on Hilton's HI options and have soured a bit on that option as their most affordable hotels are on Oahu, where we don't plan on staying. What I do still like about that option is the 4 cards you can potentially get, meaning lots of signup bonus points instead of having to used manufactured spend. Starwood has options on Kauai/Maui but it seems difficult to earn those points (only 1 card, no category bonuses, and no options to transfer in points, correct?). Marriot has some options as well but have higher redemption rates than Starwood, which turned me off to them. Hyatt has 1 property each on Kauai and Maui and is a transfer partner of UR, so that might be my best option.
    I also looked into the PenFed Cash Rewards for the 5% on gas purchases (VRs are available at gas stations near me) and no forex (I have a trip planned to Norway in a month) but I've heard they may not give rewards for in store purchases (T&C state 5% is for 'paid at the pump') and their fraud triggers are very easy to trip. I'm too late to the Citi TY party since they no longer offer the strong category bonuses for online applications and I'm not near a branch.

8. gconnery

gconnery Silver Member

Status Points:
    You *can* turn Amex MR points into Starwood points but its a crappy 1:3 ratio, so the 100,000 Amex Platinum offer for example would only be 33,333 points. Of course there are two SPG cards (personal and business) and you could always actually stay in a hotel... And you can of course go for numerous Amex Cards to build up your MR points. Amex Platinum, Amex Platinum MB, Amex Platinum Business, MR Gold, MR Gold Business, etc.

Personally I'd recommend the Amex Starwood Business as an obvious add on your next go round.

No idea what your airline options are. Don't really follow Delta. Assume there's a business variant of the Delta card though.

9. Dad to GO

Dad to GO Silver Member

Status Points:
    100% agree. Both my wife and I have 2 of them and love getting the 10K points each time they renew every year. Plus we have both gotten offers for 15K bonus points after hitting spend thresholds within 3 months. I really like this card and think it can be very useful if you have a plan on how to spend the miles you'll receive with them.