Millions of productivity hours lost due to FAA gadget ban

Discussion in 'Travel Technology' started by sobore, Jun 4, 2013.  |  Print Topic

1. sobore
    Original Member

sobore Gold Member

Status Points:
    http://www.nbcnews.com/travel/millions-productivity-hours-lost-due-faa-gadget-ban-6C10100962

According to a new study, fliers will have to forgo 105 million hours of personal electronic devices (PEDs) this year due to FAA’s ban on their use during takeoff and landing. That's not only fewer Words With Friends sessions, but a whole lot of missed opportunities to get some real work done.
    The productivity drain is not insignificant. Conducted by researchers at the Chaddick Institute for Metropolitan Development at DePaul University, the study, Tablets Take Flight, notes that with more travelers carrying more devices, the amount of “disrupted technological activity” has soared 104 percent since 2010.

“Three years ago, many people just carried smartphones, which aren’t of much use on a flight [due to FAA’s ongoing ban on using cellular technology],” professor Joe Schwieterman, who directed the study, told NBC News. “Now, they have e-readers, DVD players, miniature tablets… [The ban] creates both a hassle and an impediment to productivity.”

As an elementary-school principal in Albuquerque, Frank Chiki has experienced plenty of both in recent years as a member of the executive committee of the National Council of Teachers of English.

Read More: http://www.nbcnews.com/travel/millions-productivity-hours-lost-due-faa-gadget-ban-6C10100962

uggboy likes this.
  2. milchap
    Original Member

milchap Gold Member

Status Points:
    Take the train instead of flying !

MX and LETTERBOY like this.
  3. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

HaveMilesWillTravel Gold Member

Status Points:
    I am much more concerned about the time I waste in security or immigration lines that aren't staffed appropriately.

4. ab3i
    Original Member

ab3i Silver Member

Status Points:
    as someone who is glued to my laptop, tablet and smartphone for most of the day, i actually like the 'forced' please switch off your electronics bit on my weekly business trips. Infact, i have started using the flights as my downtime almost and i'll either take a quick nap or just listen to music and read a book. my employers get more than enough hours of productivity from me 7 days a week (damn you corporate slavery!!).. its good to disconnect.. even if for a couple of hours.

5. MegaDont

MegaDont Silver Member

Status Points:
    As ab3i said, I think it may be beneficial to pry people away from their electronic devices for a little while. At some point it has to be "productive" to your mental health to step away for a bit. Let your mind settle a little.

Then again, I'm a weirdo who tries to meditate for at least 15 minutes per day :p

sobore and ab3i like this.
  6. Captain Oveur
    Original Member

Captain Oveur Gold Member

Status Points:
    I don't think anything is going to change anytime soon.

I'm not convinced on the electronic interference thing. I am convinced there would be a problem with physical interference.

Were there to become a true emergency, the guy plugged in to his iPhone and doing stuff on his laptop IS a safety impediment. Because, he's blocking his, and his seatmate's access, in case of an emergency exit.

The other point is that in case of an emergency, I don't want some dolt being more worried about taking a Facebook picture or getting a triple word score over evacuating an airplane.

MegaDont and HaveMilesWillTravel like this.