Millions of Canadians head to U.S. airports for cheaper flights

Discussion in 'General Discussion | Travel' started by sobore, Oct 3, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. sobore
    Original Member

sobore Gold Member

Status Points:
    http://www.bizjournals.com/buffalo/...2012/10/millions-of-canadians-head-to-us.html

Remember when it was cheaper for Western New Yorkers to fly out of Toronto? That's no longer the case.

A new Conference Board study says millions of Canadians now come to the United States in search of less expensive flights, as reported by the Toronto Globe and Mail.

Higher airfares and taxes in Canada are to blame, says the study, which estimates that it's 30 percent cheaper to fly out of American airports.

Read More: http://www.bizjournals.com/buffalo/...2012/10/millions-of-canadians-head-to-us.html

rwoman and uggboy like this.
  2. uggboy
    Original Member

uggboy Gold Member

Status Points:
    Interesting reversal.

rwoman and iterfacio12 like this.
  3. SC Flier
    Original Member

SC Flier Gold Member

Status Points:
    rwoman likes this.
  4. DTWBOB

DTWBOB Silver Member

Status Points:
    Not a real news item

This has been common at DTW for years -- and there also are traffic jams at the border, particularly on weekends, with people coming over here to shop.

DTWBOB

rwoman and LETTERBOY like this.
  5. canucklehead
    Original Member

canucklehead Gold Member

Status Points:
    The taxes (from both sides of the border) and fees are a real killer. For one person, it may not be worth the extra time and hassle of flying out of a border city (eg Buffalo for YYZ), but for a family of 4, the savings becomes considerable.

rwoman and LETTERBOY like this.
  6. servo

servo Silver Member

Status Points:
    That's why Allegiant lists Vancouver, Toronto and Montreal as cities on their list, when in truth, the airports they fly out of are BLI, IAG and PBG respectively. On my return from Montreal, we flew out of MHT since I was on award flights from WN, but we saw tons of Quebec plates stopping in Plattsburgh which we assumed were trying to fly to SFB, FLL, LAS or PIE.

rwoman, sobore and SC Flier like this.
  7. georockc

georockc Silver Member

Status Points:
    I used to fly Allegiant's BLI-Mesa flight a lot and I can tell you it's mostly Canadians. Especially in the winter when all the snowbirds are in Arizona.

servo46250 and rwoman like this.
  8. iterfacio12

iterfacio12 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Hmm, I wonder if this will wind up pushing down the prices in Canada; if legions of your citizens are heading to another country to fly, that means substantial lost revenue. Time, maybe, to alter ones business strategy?

LETTERBOY and rwoman like this.
  9. canucklehead
    Original Member

canucklehead Gold Member

Status Points:
    It isn't only always higher airfares charged by the airline.

I think the Cdn govt is looking into the tariffs on TB travel but there is no willpower to lower the charges users pay for aviation on the Cdn side. In addition to the US taxes and security fees, on the Cdn side you also have several fees, incl airport fees which vary by airport, vs the US which uses a one-fee-for-all model of $4.50. For example, my LGA-YYZ fare is $268. My YYZ airport fee is $25, or about 9% of the total fare. Total fees and taxes is $87, or 33% of total cost - 40% on the US side, 60% on the Cdn side (most of which goes to Pearson Mahal!)

LETTERBOY likes this.
  10. Singapore Flyer

Singapore Flyer Silver Member

Status Points:
    I would imagine the exchange has swung to their favor. When I was attending UB in the mid 90's, we would go up there all the time to Toronto. The rate was 1USD - ~$1.70 at its peak. It is now on par +/- a few pips. So from that perspective, I am not at all surprised that we are seeing more of our Northern neighbors coming down to fly and shop. They were doing that before the rate was terrible for them....shopping that is.

LETTERBOY likes this.