Million Miler? Premier Exec or Premier? SA Gold or Silver?

Discussion in 'United Airlines | MileagePlus' started by avflyer, Feb 9, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. avflyer
    Original Member

avflyer Silver Member

Status Points:
    I am a UA Million Miler and a friend is a CO Million Miler. CO just recently promoted her to SILVER on the basis of her Million Mile status. Of course as a UA Million Miler I am Prem. Exec and SA GOLD.

Any conjecture on how this will play out?

2. Cuse44
    Original Member

Cuse44 Silver Member

Status Points:
    I would like them to adopt the CO system of counting all EQM's toward your lifetime flight miles and 1 Million Miles getting *Gold Status....One can dream right? :)

For me personally, the biggest benefit of either system is the CO Spouse/Partner Benefit since my fiancee doesn't travel at all for work and I travel pretty much all of the time. One thing that's nice about this is that your Spouse's status is always the same as yours once you reach 1 million lifetime miles. So, if you fly a lot one year and hit GS/1K (after you have passed the 1 million mark), your spouse will also have that same status for the year.

3. mowogo
    Original Member

mowogo Gold Member

Status Points:
    Personally I think this question will depend on how they decide to calculate Million Miler in the combined program. If they use the CO system where every EQM counts, then it will be Silver/2P but if they use the United method of counting only butt in seat miles, then we may very well keep the Gold/1P

4. SS255
    Original Member

SS255 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Wouldn't it be great if you got your lifetime Silver/2P at 1mm BIS EQM's, and then your lifetime Gold/1P/*G at 2MM BIS miles on UA & CO metal only? That way, you reach a lifetime qualification milestone at 1mm EQM's, but the UA folks who have been gunning for lifetime 1P can have their cake, too.

5. Xyzzy
    Original Member

Xyzzy Gold Member

Status Points:
    I c:)ncur. Some, who have no spouse/partner, are complaining about this. I, however, think it's extremely generous.

sithlord likes this.
  6. J.Edward
    Original Member

J.Edward Silver Member

Status Points:
    I think this is very much a YMMV issue.

For example, if one were to only make it past the 1MM mark, *G for life might carry an edge over 2P/Silver for life + spouse as 1) *G access & lounges on all international trips for life, 2) 100% RDM bonus on paid flights, 3) *G/1P/Gold benefits will translate to whoever's traveling with the MM member, which could be his/her spouse, friend, colleague, etc.

Alternatively if one's spouse frequently traveled without the MM, and not enough to earn at least silver on her own, then there's certainly something to be said for being able to "share" your status with someone, and of course that shared status is pegged to the MM's status so it could potential be higher than the entry level tier, assuming travel keeps up.

That said if one could choose which program to be grandfathered in under, I'd opt for the legacy CO one as 1) I anticipate hitting 2MM relatively soon (which would give me mid-tier + *G for life,) and 2) I like the idea of sharing my status with a significant other, but again that's just me.

Ideally I'd like to think they'd offer those who're currently MMers (or almost there) the ability to choose which program they'd like to continue in -- the UA one, the CO one, or the new one.

But regardless of what happens, it'll be interesting to see how they bring this together as MP and OnePass MM programs are not aligned on both the earning side as well as the reward side.

ssullivan, sithlord and Cuse44 like this.
  7. sithlord
    Original Member

sithlord Silver Member

Status Points:
    I'm sure they will combine the worst parts of both making the program useless.[​IMG]

8. mechteach
    Original Member

mechteach Silver Member

Status Points:
    Shh, don't give them any ideas! [​IMG]

9. sithlord
    Original Member

sithlord Silver Member

Status Points:
    If they do I'll go to AA and Dl.[​IMG].

10. Uh....no...it wouldn't be great (IMO as someone who's about 60k BIS miles from MM on UA). I've flown all this time, putting as much BIS on UA as possible (especially last year and this), in order to hit MM and *G for life.

Sadly, though, sithlord is probably right.

11. sithlord
    Original Member

sithlord Silver Member

Status Points:
    I hope I'm not right. Just worst case scenarios.

12. Xyzzy
    Original Member

Xyzzy Gold Member

Status Points:
    On CO it b:)ils down to 1MM=silver 2MM=gold 3MM=platinum. Silver isn't really that great, though, so they threw in the spouse/partner benefit. I actually think that makes it rather generous. Why is there so much negativity about this benefit? If you're not going to use a particular benefit, that doesn't mean it doesn't exist. For example, I can get all the free adult drinks I want from the PC/RCC, yet I almost never have any. I'm not complaining that I should be given something else. That's the same as the "I have no spouse/partner" argument

13. J.Edward
    Original Member

J.Edward Silver Member

Status Points:
    ...and of course 4MM = PresPlat :D!

I think what's causing the angst is there are those who've been working towards MM in each airline's program and were looking forward to the awards set forth when they started out.

To be clear, I'm certainly not trying to say these benefits are prescribed by the almighty himself for MMers to enjoy, rather if someone has been flying for years - literally - with the mindset his/her loyalty would be rewarded with a specific benefit, it's reasonable to assume there would be some consternation if the rules were changed at the last minute, especially if that change was perceived as a negative.

So what’s the easiest solution to all this?

Fly 2MM and get both! :D

14. ssullivan
    Original Member

ssullivan Gold Member

Status Points:
    Yep. And there's no reason why those who complain because they're currently single couldn't add a spouse/partner at a later date should one come along.

15. J.Edward
    Original Member

J.Edward Silver Member

Status Points:
    But on the flip side let's say there's a MP MM who's at ~920,000 right now and married. His s/o does not travel, unless of course they're traveling together, and his travel plans are winding down as he's looking to retire soon. In this case, I'd argue there's a *very* valid point to be made that the traditional UA program hold more value for him, as well as the fact he's almost already made it to MM under the old rules.

I don't think anyone can say one benefit is superior to the other as the ability to nominate a +1 and lifetime *G/mid-tier status each are significant but the value realized from each of them will depend upon the individual member and his or her circumstances.

(And as a side note, the spouse benefit is maximized if s/he travels alone, as if the spouse we’re traveling with the MM, they MM’s status would extend assuming they were on the same PNR.)

But why have one when you can have two at twice the price? Folks need to shoot for 2MM and demand both those and lounge access to boot!

16. ssullivan
    Original Member

ssullivan Gold Member

Status Points:
    In that situation, I get the spousal benefit being of less value, but I also wouldn't see that individual as being one of the ones who complains about the spousal benefit due to not having a spouse.

Quite true. In my situation, the spousal benefit is a bigger deal, as I'm not planning on stopping my work travel anytime soon, and we both travel a lot for work, although my travel is considerably more than his is. Extending my status to him through the spousal benefit would be a great benefit for him, and it's not uncommon for one of us to travel to meet the other one in a city where one of us is working, which usually results in at least some flights where we are traveling separately on different days. In those situations the spousal benefit is of more value. I could see it being different for a couple that is older and not traveling for business so much, or a couple that only travels together on the same PNR.

That would be my ideal situation; spousal benefits and a lifetime status that includes Star Gold.

17. MarkUK
    Original Member

MarkUK Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    There are several problems with the MM programme as it currently exists and the new MP, none of which I can get an answer to:

(1) 2MM flyers get Prem Exec - this puts them behind the new 75k Tier (and of course 1K, GS).
    (2) With the change to the 6 SWU being earned as soon as you get 100k EQM's, 3MM who are not 1Ks having flown will never receive anything. This reduces the attractiveness of the 3MM status substantially.

18. Xyzzy
    Original Member

Xyzzy Gold Member

Status Points:
    Most all of this speculation is based on the current programs, and trying to extrapolate that into a new program. We have almost n:) information on the new program yet, though.

Regarding the 3MM benefit discussed above, are you really complaining that people who don't fly much won't get SWUs?!

19. Renard
    Original Member

Renard Silver Member

Status Points:
    I think there is the perception that the 'spouse/partner' benefit is 'instead of' something else.....

I would think that MM should be 'aspirational' in nature. Myself, I wouldn't find silver aspirational.....the only thing it would inspire is a yawn. I'll be very unhappy (and this is stating it mildly) if the CO system is adopted.... let's face it. They were a 'reluctant entrant' into MM programs, and it shows.

20. MarkUK
    Original Member

MarkUK Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    Yes, especially as that was the point of getting to 3MM!

21. mundosurfer
    Original Member

mundosurfer Gold Member

Status Points:
    I don't think either system will be adopted exactly as is, they may be thinking of a way to adopt a hybrid system.
    Maybe select the spouse benefit or higher status at each level you reach. Then at the top level give you everything
    Yearly SWUs, Spouse benefit, Top Tier, United Club Membership and put in a clause that if you never used the spouse benefit during your MM time you get bonus SWUs or something.

22. Xyzzy
    Original Member

Xyzzy Gold Member

Status Points:
    I'd like to remind every;)ne that life is not fair, and neither are these programs.

Mackieman likes this.
  23. LAXNRT
    Original Member

LAXNRT Silver Member

Status Points:
    I've made 1MM four years ago and am on my way to 2MM. Never fallen below 1K or GS but looking forward to the star gold benefits when I cut down on flying. I wish this will not get taken away when the programs are combined. Star gold is a life saver with first class check in with LH and Senator lounge access.

24. they always complain :)

25. violist
    Original Member

violist Gold Member

Status Points:
    I
    We're all hoping that the "Star Gold for life" sticks. Good luck to us!

Renard likes this.