Million Miler on the cheap

Discussion in 'Mileage Runs/Travel Hacking' started by donald188, Mar 28, 2017.  |  Print Topic

1. donald188

donald188 Active Member

Status Points:
    I am new to this site and forum so forgive me if this has already been discussed a lot. Feel free to refer me to existing posts.
    I have about 935K AA miles toward my Million Miler status and would like to reach it without necessarily flying around the world a couple of times. I don't fly much for business anymore but log a couple of trips to Europe and/or CA every year. Any ways to earn these miles quickly and cheaply?
    Thanks.

2. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

HaveMilesWillTravel Gold Member

Status Points:
    1. Invent a time machine
    2. Transport yourself back a few years
    3. Sign up for credit cards with AA miles bonus
    4. Profit :)

Otherwise, today you need to fly to earn MM qualifying miles.

Which miles will count for the AAdvantage Million Miler program?
    Base miles earned by flying on American Airlines, American Eagle or any AAdvantage program participating airline will count toward AAdvantage Million Miler status.

https://www.aa.com/i18n/aadvantage-program/elite-status/million-miler-program.jsp

On the bright side, it's only 65k miles.

Welcome to MilePoint.

8MiHi, newbluesea and misman like this.
  3. donald188

donald188 Active Member

Status Points:
    Haha. How do you think I got to 935K? A crystal ball would have been helpful back then too. I used up a lot of US Air miles before the merger was announced.:(
    Thanks.

newbluesea likes this.
  4. newbluesea
    Original Member

newbluesea Gold Member

Status Points:
    "Cheap" might be a problem but one does not necessarily have to fly to get EQM both Barclays and Citi have cards that grant those miles for a relatively high spend. However if you need to spend $20- $40k for any other reason you can get 5k or 10k respectively for each of the two cards mentioned.

Not sure of the relevance of the mention about US Air-miles

marckmar likes this.
  5. donald188

donald188 Active Member

Status Points:
    I have a Citi card that gives 10K EQM's after spending $40K in a year - but I'm not sure if they count towards MM.
    When US Air and AA merged they combined programs and any miles in the US Air account went towards the MM total no matter how they were earned.
    I'll check out Barclays card. Thanks for the input.

newbluesea and bobrich58 like this.
  6. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

Status Points:
    You mean, the current account balance of US Air RDMs was converted into AA lifetime miles? I don't think that is correct.

7. NYCUA1K

NYCUA1K Gold Member

Status Points:
    For MM status, one needs BIS miles and not EQM, which are for regular elite status qualification.

"Only base miles earned by flying on American Airlines, American Eagle or any eligible AAdvantage program participating airline will count toward AAdvantage Million Miler status; AAdvantage bonus miles and additional miles earned through special promotional offers [e.g., CC] will not count toward Million Miler status."

Absolute99 likes this.
  8. newbluesea
    Original Member

newbluesea Gold Member

Status Points:
    Since the discussion above has become centered primarily about the merger of the US and AA miles program we can safely ignore the irrelevant recent "expert" parachutist:D

Technically at the merger
    1) All miles remaining unredeemed in the US account were added to the AA total in the members' consolidated accounts

2) All US flight miles including that flown on America-West (not sure about Piedmont) was added to the AA MM totals.
    Some members including yours truly believed more than BIS miles were transferred over based on the amount of miles which was added the consolidated MM AA account.
    Didn't much matter to me since I was already Lifetime Plat.:)

Last edited: Mar 29, 2017
  9. NYCUA1K

NYCUA1K Gold Member

Status Points:
    What happened at the merger is totally irrelevant to 1MM qualification requirement, since it was a one-time adjustment that quite likely benefited some elites, just like the UA-CO merger had greatly benefited UA elites. The requirement for UA 1MM remained BIS miles. Period.

10. Counsellor
    Original Member

Counsellor Gold Member

Status Points:
    I'm too lazy to go back and check but it seems to me that following the UA/CO merger I got about an additional 80 - 100K miles added to my MM Lifetime total. They weren't CO BIS miles; as I recall they were some sort of class of service bonus to match a similar promotion CO had run.

Didn't matter to me, since I was already long since 1MM on United, and don't really expect to get to 2MM.

And it's irrelevant to the OP's question anyway.

11. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

Status Points:
    As far as I recall...

PMCO counted all EQMs from all sources for status. PMUA only counted butt in seat miles.

When they merged the balances, they combined UA and CO balances and added historic UA EQMs that hadn't been counted. E.g., class of service, partner EQM, Chase EQM. (and then, going forward, switched to the UA BIS model).

The adjustment got me within striking distance of MM (850k or so) and I reached it about two years later. Until the merger adjustment MM status had never been a consideration for me. 2MM status is no consideration in my planning. Neither is any other lifetime status.

8MiHi, Counsellor and NYCUA1K like this.
  12. NYCUA1K

NYCUA1K Gold Member

Status Points:
    Same here. I just reached UA 1MM last year. Without the one-time adjustment that was made after the UA-CO merger, which boosted my lifetime total BIS miles to about 650K, it would have been a hard slog to 1MM.

13. 8MiHi

8MiHi Silver Member

Status Points:
    Miles from People Express, Eastern, New York Air and Continental all combined for me to get to MM just before the merger. PMCO did indeed count EQMs toward MM status. As stated above, it's all BIS miles now so there is no cheaper faster method of earning MM status. If you anticipate making elite status every year from your travels then don't worry (or obsess) about it as it will happen in the course of things.
    If you don't expect to fly much then you have to decide if going out of your way to fly 65K miles is reasonable for you. Remember MM is 'nice', not life-changing.

14. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Not life changing in the broader sense, but it has changed my travel life significantly, because I am after many years no longer on the "earn-status treadmill". I no longer maintain a spreadsheet to track my earned and predicted/booked travel with the sole goal of reaching some threshold. I am now a free agent.

8MiHi likes this.
  15. 8MiHi

8MiHi Silver Member

Status Points:
    Fair enough. I still harbor hopes of getting to 2MM so I will still be working it. This is primarily due to my enjoyment of flying and 2MM is more a statement that I want to go to distant lands than I want to earn status (although I appreciate that, too).