Millennium Hilton Bangkok

Discussion in 'Hilton | HHonors' started by olisch, Mar 10, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. The Millenium Hilton Bangkok is definately not one of the best hotels in Bangkok but it still on top (or at least near the top) of my preferred hotels in Bangkok.

The hotel is located on Thonburi side at Charoennakorn Road. Some people might think that this is the "wrong" side of Chao Phraya river, but I don't buy that. In the near of the hotel you find everything you need in Bangkok: small local restaurants, a local market, 7-Eleven, massage shops, shopping malls (The Mall Tha Phra is just 5 minutes away by taxi). Like most other hotels at Chao Phraya river they run a shuttle boat service to skytrain station Saphan Thaksin every 20 minutes from 6 am in the morning to 12 am at night. Anyway though there is always a high chance for traffic jam at Thaksin bridge and Sathorn Road, so you might be better off with another hotel if Siam area, Sukhumvit road or Petchburi road are your main targets in Bangkok.

If you come from Suvarnabhumi Airport it's about a ride with a taxi from 35 minutes on, depending on the traffic jam. The cost are about 300 THB taxi fare + 50 THB airport charge + 70 THB tollway + xx THB tip.

I you expect a Lanna style hotel you better stay away from Millenium Hilton. It's a straight, western style, some even might call it neutral or cold. They offer about 540 room on 32 storeys. The standard Deluxe rooms with 34 m² are ok, if you travel alone or with a partner and you can get it for a decent rate. In the past with the famous january sale promotion theses Deluxe rooms could be had for 2.400 THB++. Executive rooms have the same size as Deluxe rooms, but they an additional working desk and offer access to the Executive lounge on 32nd floor. Unfortunately these rooms are usually quite pricey so I wouldn't recommend them.

If you want to enjoy the services of the Executive Lounge and the lovely view then you should book an Executive Suite. Then you get a 70 m² suite with separat living room. These suites are not the most spacious, not the most luxurious and for sure not the "best" suites, but you get great value for your money. The past I got the suite for less then 4.500 THB++. Nowadays it's about 5.500 THB++.

The breakfast at Flow restaurant is ok for a 5*-hotel, but nothing special. Anyway I prefer to have breakfast at the Lounge, mainly because is more relaxing and the view is so nice (and because I'm already happy if I have just Khao Tom for breakfast ;) ).

I never had lunch or dinner at one of their restaurants, so I can't give you any comments about them. But I you want to have nice dinner, then just leave the hotel to the river side. On the right side (50 metres) and on the left side (100 metres) there are two local restaurants that offer delicious thai dishes for thai prices.

But what really separates the Millenium Hilton from most of the other hotels in Bangkok is the staff. I rarely have meet such a group of hotel staff that attentive, friendly, warn hearted and caring. Not only one or two, but nearly everyone was like that. Especially our oldest son was treated like the next Rama X (his younger brother still has to make this experience). Hospitality at it's best.

[​IMG]
    Room with a view ...

[​IMG]
    Executive Suite - living room

[​IMG]
    Executive Suite- bedroom

[​IMG]
    Executive Suite- bathroom left side

[​IMG]
    Executive Suite- bathroom right side

Kalboz, iolaire, Toula and 3 others like this.
  2. [​IMG]
    Lobby

CrankyScott, Kalboz, Toula and 2 others like this.
  3. thegrailer
    Original Member

thegrailer Silver Member

Status Points:
    I had a great stay here a couple of years ago and would stay again in the future

Kalboz, rwoman and uggboy like this.
  4. MiltonR
    Original Member

MiltonR Silver Member

Status Points:
    Thanks for a good report. I've stayed there twice and quite enjoyed each stay. But as an HH Diamond I prefer the Conrad.

Kalboz, rwoman and uggboy like this.
  5. sdcarver
    Original Member

sdcarver Silver Member

Status Points:
    + 1 I stayed a few weeks ago at the Royal Orchid Sheraton (which was very nice too) but I could not help thinking about my stay at the Millenium Hiton a few years back and how impressed I was by the customer service and attention to detail.

sdcarver

Kalboz, Toula, rwoman and 1 other person like this.
  6. I stayed there there overnight earlier this month in a regular room (not suite). The room was a little cramped, but nicely decorated and very efficient in use of space. The bed faced the window's river view, which was different and nice. I couldn't get really hot water in the shower. It was just lukewarm no matter which direction I turned the knob. The service was great. Stuffed myself at the early evening cocktail. The pool is small (I'm comparing to the Shangri-La's pool), but again, the surroundings are very nicely decorated and there's a nice view of the river. The boat shuttle to the BTS station worked well.

7. Jason
    Original Member

Jason Silver Member

Status Points:
    We have a stay coming up, do you know where you're able to have breakfast as a Diamond member? (or even better, recommend where we SHOULD have it?) I'm trying to check the times as well, because we're only there 2 days and have tours starting at 7am. If that doesn't give us enough time to have a nice breakfast, I may ask to push the tour to 8am or something.

It looks to me from their website that the "Flow" opens at 6am, but the "beach" and "lantern" don't open until 7am...

Thanks!

8. rwoman
    Original Member

rwoman Gold Member

Status Points:
    Thanks for sharing! :)

Kalboz and uggboy like this.
  9. uggboy
    Original Member

uggboy Gold Member

Status Points:
    It's a gorgeous hotel, have seen it for now only from the outside and hope to stay there for real in the future! The location is magical IMHO.:)

Kalboz and rwoman like this.
  10. uggboy
    Original Member

uggboy Gold Member

Status Points:
    I would love to try their executive suite!:)

Kalboz likes this.
  11. uggboy
    Original Member

uggboy Gold Member

Status Points:
    I would love to try their executive suite!:) Thanks for the interesting report and the images, excellent insights into this fine property!:)

Kalboz likes this.
  12. thegrailer
    Original Member

thegrailer Silver Member

Status Points:
    I'll add that the lounge was fantastic too. The breakfast was one of the best layouts I've had the joy of eating from. And in agreement with the above comments, the service was absolutely amazing too. All for less than $100 per night.

Kalboz, iolaire and uggboy like this.
  13. estnet
    Original Member

estnet Gold Member

Status Points:
    and how did u get a rate like that?

14. Jason
    Original Member

Jason Silver Member

Status Points:
    Is "the lounge" you're referring to the executive lounge or a restaurant? Do you remember the hours that breakfast was served?

15. Kalboz
    Original Member

Kalboz Gold Member

Status Points:
    Even though 7AM mean really 8AM with those Bangkok tour operators, I'd officially try to push the starting time to 8AM. And, yes, Diamonds do get breakfast.

One of the great things about this property is the 360 lounge, an indoor lounge located on the top floor. Have had drinks and small plates many times while watching the sunset.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Note the circular structure on top: this is the 360 Lounge on the 32nd floor​
    Another venue, if you are interested in American-style steakhouse, is Prime on the third floor overlooking the river. Expensive but worthy menu of steaks, chops, seafood, etc. for that special occasion. This restaurant was created by Artur Kluczewski, the same restauranteur who established New York Steakhouse at the JW Marriott Bangkok.​

16. Jason
    Original Member

Jason Silver Member

Status Points:
    Thanks so much Kalboz. Both sound great! I've requested a later pick up and am looking forward to the stay!

uggboy and Kalboz like this.
  17. iolaire
    Original Member

iolaire Gold Member

Status Points:
    Update to the post - Jason – thank you for the comment – to anyone reading this: I’m still interested in feedback on my questions, but I’m now planning on getting a local hotel to save my Hilton points for future EU trips. The Hotels in BKK are very economical so it makes more sense to get a low cost (3*) hotel for this trip use the Hilton for a Euro priced room later.

I have a list of various of questions since I’m a new gold member thanks to Amex and other promotions who has not stayed at Hiltons in a long time. Based on Kalboz and RestlessLocationSyndrome’s comments at http://milepoint.com/forums/threads/which-hilton-property-in-bangkok.32636/ I’m now leaning towards this hotel over the Conrad. I’m looking at a five or six night stay on points.

How do the Hilton upgrades work at this hotel and/or Hilton in general?

Say I book a KING EXECUTIVE ROOM (on points), if I receive an upgrade as a gold would it be to a higher floor KING EXECUTIVE ROOM or some other type of room, such as the KING EXECUTIVE SUITE?

My biggest goal would be to have Executive Lounge access - as a gold will I receive that regardless of the room type I book?

Lounge access will provide “refreshments” how would those compare to the manager’s happy hour at the Conrad?

Also it seems as if there is only a 2,000 point difference between the KING HILTON DELUXE and KING EXECUTIVE ROOM, is there any reason beyond saving a mere 2,000 points/night to think about booking the lower rate room KING HILTON DELUXE?

Thank you for providing guidance on any of my questions…

--- One item of note, that probably is common knowledge but the KING EXECUTIVE SUITE is a fixed rate of 25,960 after four nights regardless of the nights reserved, but the KING HILTON DELUXE has the discounts as the nights go up on based on the VIP/GLON schedule. So the rooms have a 1,960 point difference for five nights, and that jumps to 3,460 points difference with six plus nights, and four nights the price difference is only 460 points…

uggboy, Kalboz and Jason like this.
  18. Jason
    Original Member

Jason Silver Member

Status Points:
    I've had pretty good luck as a Hilton Gold member and almost always was upgraded to an executive room. The rules, as I understand them is that as a Gold member, you're guaranteed breakfast, but not the executive lounge. If there's executive rooms available, you'll get one, and have access. If there aren't any available, you won't, and then will not have access to the lounge, but instead will be able to get breakfast in the restaurant. (As Diamond, you'll guaranteed lounge access regardless of the room you're given).

From my experiences from overseas Hilton lounges and Conrad lounges, I'd say the Conrad's are usually more fancy/upscale, but both are usually great. At some Hiltons you pay a reduced amount for alcohol, but the Conrad was free.

So it's really just up to how much risk you want to put on it, whether you want to book the executive room and hope for a nicer one (corner, etc) or the regular room and hope for the executive upgrade....

uggboy, Kalboz and iolaire like this.
  19. restlessinRNO
    Original Member

restlessinRNO Silver Member

Status Points:
    I recently stayed at both the Conrad and the Hilton Bangkok. Happy hour at the Hilton is more than just "refreshments"; there were a couple of hot items, breads and cheeses. (But hot items were not replaced when they ran out.) It is possible to sit outdoors and the view is great. That said, there is no comparison to offerings at the Conrad Executive Lounge 6-8 pm. The Conrad has 5 hot items, all delicious, all constantly replaced during the evening. In addition there are multiple cold nibbles, cheeses, desserts,...Staff were very attentive. After spending an hour in the Conrad lounge, it is hard to find room for dinner elsewhere. The Conrad offers a choice of 2 red wines, white wine or a sparkling wine, all complimentary. No view of the boats on the Chao Phraya River though! :)

Edited to add: BTW Taxi from Hilton to BKK was 500 THB total.

uggboy, iolaire and Kalboz like this.
  20. Kalboz
    Original Member

Kalboz Gold Member

Status Points:
    Here is a new trip report from this property by Luxury travel on a budget: King Executive room at Millennium Hilton Bangkok

bartla, iolaire and uggboy like this.
  21. Kalboz
    Original Member

Kalboz Gold Member

Status Points:
    For those who are interested, this property offers Hilton Premium Club dining/accommodations program geared for the frequent travelers and expats. Benefits are as follows:
    The link shows 2011 program information but when you click on "BUY NOW" you will be transferred to the purchase page. Terms & conditions are here: http://www.premiumclubasia.com/Hilton_Millennium_Bangkok/MemberBenefits.html?pid=11594&showTerms=1

astraveln and uggboy like this.
  22. intermagix

intermagix Active Member

Status Points:
    Are there any other Hilton or Hilton brand which has a premium club program like Hilton Bangkok? Thanks.

uggboy and Kalboz like this.
  23. CrankyScott
    Original Member

CrankyScott Silver Member

Status Points:
    Do they offer a water taxi service to the Shangri-La or another hotel dock?

Kalboz likes this.
  24. Kalboz
    Original Member

Kalboz Gold Member

Status Points:
    I know that they offer it to Saphan Taksin and also to River City pier on the opposite side of the river.
    [​IMG]

CrankyScott likes this.
  25. astraveln

astraveln Silver Member

Status Points:
    I'm the Guinea Pig for the Hilton Premium Club, will report back in 2 weeks. Testing the benifits in Kuala Lumpur, Phuket and Bangkok.

The program is good for the Hiltons(2) in BKK, Phuket(1), KL(2 Hiltons and 1 Doubletree) as well as several Hiltons in China. List is on the site.

Kalboz likes this.