Millenium Hilton - Downtown NYC

Discussion in 'Hilton | HHonors' started by IMGone, Feb 4, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. IMGone
    Original Member

IMGone Silver Member

Status Points:
    This hotel has ridiculously high rates based on what it offers. It's location near WTC and the Financial District, as well as a tour hotel that helps support the high rates but it's crazy especially with 24/7 WTC Construction going on right outside your hotel room.

The hotel is getting worn down and can use a refurbishing, but even with that the basic rooms are fairly small and tight, bathroom sizes are okay. There are rooms on the corner with more space, as well as quiet rooms facing away from the construction site. The junior suites have strange layouts where you enter into the sitting area, then along the wall (windows) you walk to the bedroom, with the bathroom in between. It doesn't flow well and the closet is also in that 'hallway' area next to the bathroom. I haven't seen the suites.

The fitness center isn't bad, there are a number of treadmills, bikes, etc available along with weights, benches, bosu and balls. There were even some foam pieces. There is a multi-use weight machine whose name I forgot that is great for a large number of different exercises.

Turn down service includes two little chocolate pieces and two bottles of Poland Spring water. The towel exchange only happened if there were a lot used, if it was only a smaller one, the used one was left there.

Things to watch out for at this property include a number of rooms have internet connection (it's all wired in the rooms) which don't work, a higher floor gets you further from the construction noise (it is really 24/7), quiet rooms are sized a little better so ask for those if you can or a corner room, they offer sound machines and earplugs, I want to get a sound machine for my home as I got a bit addicted to it while staying here. Sometimes the earplugs are in the room and sometimes not - I haven't figured out the reasoning or timing.

The lobby bar has very slow and not great staff. They'll get the basics, but someone asked for a rum drink and got a beer instead. Yes, we sent it backl The restaurant isn't that much better, the bartender was improved but the staff usually seem uninterested (only visited at dinnertime, never for lunch or breakfast).

The front desk staff were great and were the only reason I stayed here for awhile, although I noticed some new folks there I'm hoping they continue to offer great service.

All in all, I'd call this a 3 star (I think they claim more because they have a pool) property that is charging 4+ star rates.

Kalboz likes this.
  2. HNL
    Original Member

HNL Gold Member

Status Points:
    Personally I like the Millennium Hilton in NY. You can get some great rates over the weekend. As a Diamond I always get good upgrades to corner kings with views to the east of the Statue of Liberty, plus views into the WTC construction site.

Kalboz, MyTravels, oklAAhoma and 2 others like this.
  3. gemac
    Original Member

gemac Silver Member

Status Points:
    Does it have an Executive Lounge? I find these so addicting that it is difficult to stay at a Hilton without them, but I could see no mention of it on the website.

Kalboz likes this.
  4. IMGone
    Original Member

IMGone Silver Member

Status Points:
    No executive lounge at this location.

Kalboz likes this.
  5. sagefemme52
    Original Member

sagefemme52 Silver Member

Status Points:
    The new downtown Doubletree Financial District may be a good alternative, if you need something with Hilton in this area of Manhattan:
    http://tinyurl.com/4t5wooz

Kalboz and viguera like this.
  6. IMGone
    Original Member

IMGone Silver Member

Status Points:
    It'll be interesting to see how crazy the Conrad is priced once it is opened. The D-Tree is even further from where I need to be, I've been trying out the Andaz Wall Street for the moment.

Kalboz likes this.
  7. gemac
    Original Member

gemac Silver Member

Status Points:
    They lost me there. It's a little out of the area where I want to be. I could put up with it if they had a nice lounge, but no lounge is the nail in the coffin.

Kalboz likes this.
  8. cockpitvisit
    Original Member

cockpitvisit Gold Member

Status Points:
    Please excuse my ignorance, but what's a sound machine?

Kalboz and SQguy like this.
  9. IMGone
    Original Member

IMGone Silver Member

Status Points:
    No need for excusing anything - a sound machine puts out the sound of a rainforest or white noise to block out other sounds ... for me, I focus in on the sound coming from the sound machine and relax to it. It's kind of addicting after a while

Kalboz and SQguy like this.
  10. ssullivan
    Original Member

ssullivan Gold Member

Status Points:
    Despite the lack of a lounge, they've always been excellent in my many stays there as a Diamond with comping their full breakfast spread in the restaurant. That alone is better than the breakfast in any lounge. The lack of evening drinks and food is a loss if that's important to you, but their morning service for HHonors Diamond members is excellent.

I've also been upgraded to a junior suite on nearly every stay at this hotel; it's rare they haven't upgraded me, even on award stays.

Kalboz and MyTravels like this.
  11. IMGone
    Original Member

IMGone Silver Member

Status Points:
    There are some nice views from the upper floors of the hotel ... of the WTC construction site from most rooms (and a closer view from the fitness center) as well as the elevator area .... here are two

16 august 2010 improving view from hilton millenium.jpg

and

pretty colors in the ny skyline.jpg

Kalboz likes this.
  12. gemac
    Original Member

gemac Silver Member

Status Points:
    Unfortunately, I'm not a Diamond, just a lowly Gold (sob). [​IMG] Anyone have breakfast/upgrade experiences to report as Gold? The evening drinks and food is a loss, but not a huge one - it's mostly the food, as it can be nice to have a snack before the theater and then eat after. But the lounge is often nice to pop into during the day for a nice cool soda, if you've been out and about on foot/in the subway, which we normally are. Free full breakfast would go a long way toward making up for the lack of a lounge, if they do that for Golds.

Kalboz likes this.
  13. ssullivan
    Original Member

ssullivan Gold Member

Status Points:
    It has been some years since I was a Gold, but in 2005 and 2006 I stayed there as a Gold, and received full breakfast. I also had a couple of upgrades to junior suites as a Gold, but they've been more frequent as a Diamond.

Kalboz, anabolism and gemac like this.
  14. gemac
    Original Member

gemac Silver Member

Status Points:
    Thanks, ssullivan. Good to know. If anybody has any experiences from the last year or two, I would like to know that also.

Kalboz likes this.
  15. jammanxc
    Original Member

jammanxc Silver Member

Status Points:
    I stayed at the Millennium Hilton last year in September as a HHonors Gold member and they gave free breakfast buffet coupons for the Church and Dey restaurant. I didn't get an upgraded room, but I had a nice view of the WTC construction site. Didn't need a sound machine, but the rooms are typically small , your average NYC hotel room size. The breakfast buffet was delicious!!!

Kalboz, anabolism and gemac like this.
  16. gemac
    Original Member

gemac Silver Member

Status Points:
    Thanks, jammanxc. Great to know.

Kalboz likes this.
  17. Sweet Willie
    Original Member

Sweet Willie Gold Member

Status Points:
    bolding mine, AGREED! I like the easy access to the subway.

Kalboz likes this.
  18. sagefemme52
    Original Member

sagefemme52 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Just had a great weekend stay last weekend on an MVP rate of $135/night. First night was on the 34th floor in a handicap accessible room on the side of the hotel away from the WTC. 2nd night we asked to be moved, and got a corner king on the 47th floor, again on the side away from the WTC, with fantastic views of the Brooklyn bridge and partial views of New York Harbor and a view of the Statue of Liberty. For b'fast we got continental buffet one day, and American breakfast the other, (as Golds). Not sure why we got different coupons for the two days, but both days we were happy with what was on offer. We had not stayed here for ten years, because of the location and finding it difficult to be overlooking the WTC site, but time has healed some of those memories and having finally come back, I know we will stay here again, sooner rather than later.

Kalboz and anabolism like this.
  19. Kalboz
    Original Member

Kalboz Gold Member

Status Points:
  20. MyTravels
    Original Member

MyTravels Silver Member

Status Points:
    The only Hilton with a lounge in NYC that I know of is the New York Hilton (on 6th Ave), as it's originally the lounge for the timeshare and top flight suites and they just open it up for status.

I'm with ssullivan on this, the upgrade to a jr suite and full breakfast makes up for the lounge, especially when they have attractive weekend rates (and the E train is right out front).

Kalboz likes this.
  21. anabolism
    Original Member

anabolism Gold Member

Status Points:
    I booked a stay here just before the massive points devaluation (this property went from 50k to 80k, a 60% increase!). Was in a hurry, picked it for the pool. There are so many Hilton family properties in the city I could have spent a lot of time researching them; likely I'd have been better off finding one super close to a good 25-meter or larger real pool with day use rates.

Kalboz likes this.
  22. HiltonHotelFans

HiltonHotelFans Silver Member

Status Points:
    Hello, here a update from my 8 nights stay. I will be here till jan1 2015

The Check-in at 20:00 hours at december 24 was very good. Miss Maria at the frontdesk did everything right. Recognition as returning guest was good, this with a nice smile. I got an upgrade to a Parlor Suite (Room 5209) and in my room I was welcomed with a complimentary Cheese Plate with a lovely Pinot noir. At the table was a welcome letter from the Front Office manager.

[​IMG]

This morning, december 25, it was breakfast time. I had breakfast at 9:00 hours and I was welcomed by Ray( F&B manager) and his crew. As Hilton HHonors Diamond member I did receive breakfast vouchers. The vouchers can be used for the full breakfast including Made to Order Eggs. I did not see the fresh salmon at their buffet and after asking Ray about this I was served fresh Salmon. They don’t put the Salmon at their buffet but you can order this complimentary if you want. Regular price for breakfast is $24.

[​IMG]

Conclusion after 1 day: The Hilton Millenium is doing a great job, service is good, products are fresh and the staff are very friendly. Later this day I will test the pool, fitness.

[​IMG]

anabolism, ACMM and Kalboz like this.
  23. HiltonHotelFans

Status Points:
    Update 26 december 2015

I visit the pool yesterday and the water was warm and clean. The Hilton Millenium pool is indoor and heated. There is also a life duty guard at the pool. The pool has all the USA safety equipment and the view is great. I also shoot a video

[​IMG]

The fitness is right at the hallway and is easy to combine with the pool. I did a workout and there are complimentary headphones. The view is at the new WTC (9/11 museum) The fitness equipment is new and up to date. I also shoot a video here.

[​IMG]

Another day at breakfast:

This morning, december 26, I had breakfast at 9:00 hours and I was welcomed by Katie ( F&B manager) and his crew. The Fresh Salmon was back on the buffet and I got a nice table with a 5-star view at the new WTC. The waiter Azir greeted me with his daily morning smile. Next to my was a very rude lady with a big camera, she was rude to the staff. Sometimes I hope that a F&B manager can tell customers what they deserve. (like: Get the hell out of my hotel, rude lady....)

[​IMG]

I ordered 3 eggs over-easy, they were not really good, the eggs were not really over-easy, tomorrow a second chance.

As Hilton HHonors Diamond member I did receive breakfast vouchers. The vouchers can be used for the full breakfast including Made to Order Eggs. Regular price for breakfast is $24.

[​IMG]

Conclusion after 2 days: The Hilton Millenium is doing a great job, service is good, products are fresh and the staff are very friendly. Later this week I will visit the 2 bars in the hotel.

24. anabolism
    Original Member

anabolism Gold Member

Status Points:
    The pool is far too small to swim laps (as is often the case at hotels) and is also closed in the middle of the day, which is odd. But if you're looking for a dip in the morning or evening, it's good for that. (Likely people exercise in the gym, then jump into the pool while sweaty to cool off. Not very hygienic, but quite common.)

25. HiltonHotelFans

Status Points:
    Hilton Millenium New York update 28DEC

From 24 december till january 1 HiltonHotelsFanclub will do a 8 nights review at the Hilton Millenium New York.

Update 28 december 2015

After 4 days at this Hilton Millenium things are going well, yesterday I tested the bar service at their bar and restaurant Church & Dey.

The hotel has 2 bars, one at the lobby and one at their 3th floor. The lobby bar is small and does it jobs well for having a fast drink. The bar at their 3Th floor is combined with their restaurant Church & Dey. I did not have diner, but I went for some drinks. I had 2 Baileys with a total cost of $13 each, about $28 total!These prices are much too high for leisure guests and I do not recommend this bar for a regular family, it will cost you big money! These prices are for business accounts and I can advise that you go for a drink in a local bar.
    [​IMG]
    The name of the barkeeper was Douglas and he was nice, we had some small talk about computers but he was honest and real.
    For a Saturday at 21.00 hours it was quiet, about 4 guest at the diner tables and I was alone at the bar. The waitress was nice and offered me diner. I had already eaten so this was no option for me. At 22.00 hours some guest joined me at the bar. I think that most hotel customers will not return with these high bar prices.

Delivery at my room:

I ordered some packages from Amazon to test if they would arrive and if the hotel would charge me a handling fee. The products were delivered without a charge to my room, so this is a nice service.
    [​IMG]
    Package delivered to my room at no charge
    Conclusion after 4 days: The Hilton Millenium is doing a great job, service is good, products are fresh and the staff are very friendly. The prices at the bars are to high and this is wrong management to keep your customers. Later this week I will test the concierge service for some dinner reservations in the hotel or area.