Miles - the worlds biggest currency

Discussion in 'General Discussion | Miles/Points' started by Gargoyle, Apr 1, 2014.  |  Print Topic

1. Gargoyle
    Original Member

Gargoyle Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    Per an old article in Economist Magazine, the value of all outstanding FF miles is greater than the total amount of U.S. dollar currency in circulation, and much greater than any other currency in circulation. This article is from 10 years ago, but we know it has only gotten way worse. Two ytears ago Inside Flier estimated there were 9.7 trillion unredeemed rewards miles given by airlines around the globe. Estimates are that between 25% and 80% of miles are never redeemed.

Nice to own a printing press, isn't it?

2. pointshogger

pointshogger Silver Member

Status Points:
    A lot of points and miles probably go un-redeemed and even expire, which benefits the programs' profit margin.

However, we still continue to see devaluations anyway because so many new points are pumped into the system. It doesn't seem like points are expiring as quickly as new points coming into the system; thus the devaluations anyway.

WilliamQ, gregm, gconnery and 3 others like this.
  3. gconnery

gconnery Silver Member

Status Points:
    Well then what is the inflation rate for miles/points? Typically if you were planning for retirement you want to plan for 3-4% inflation in your earnings. What percent of our existing miles/points do we need to earn every year just to stay even?

WilliamQ, gregm and Gargoyle like this.
  4. NYBanker
    Original Member

NYBanker Gold Member

Status Points:
    Depends on the type of travel.... Domestic economy awards may have come down in real cost (25k unchanged for many years though miles are easier to come by...plus Avios makes many domestic shorthaul prices even lower than 25k)...while longhaul premium travel has gone up and up and up.

5. gregm

gregm Gold Member

Status Points:
    I agree with most, but I put a lot of weight in the inflation theory, referenced in the below comment.
    On average, the price of everything goes up, not down. I doubt anyone would use 125,000 miles for a decent TATL F award ticket if the taxes and 'fees' were $1000+. (Those numbers would vary airline to airline and person to person so make your own limit.)

pointshogger and gconnery like this.
  6. gconnery

gconnery Silver Member

Status Points:
    Well, Southwest started with their new points system on March 1st, 2011 and devalued it on March 31st, 2014. Previously it was 60 points per $ now its 70 points per $. So about 16.66% which is about 5% per year.

gregm likes this.
  7. foxberg

foxberg Gold Member

Status Points:
    Now, if I could have a dollar for every mile and point I have...

B1BomberVB and gregm like this.
  8. TheBOSman

TheBOSman Silver Member

Status Points:
    Even a penny wouldn't be too bad :).

gregm likes this.
  9. gregm

gregm Gold Member

Status Points:
    Have a penny, leave a penny, need a penny take a penny!
    If I did, I could retire tomorrow!

foxberg likes this.
  10. Slow_Mustang
    Original Member

Slow_Mustang Silver Member

Status Points:
    If that is what the airlines require, then I have the option to come up with $10K for a revenue ticket, or 125K miles and $1K for an award ticket, or stay home. Personally, I would go with the miles and $1K option. So, don't be so doubtful. ;)

alfagirl and gregm like this.
  11. gregm

gregm Gold Member

Status Points:
    To be honest, I can't say that I wouldn't do it either! But, as I said, YMMV concerning fees and miles spent.