Miles on bought upgrades?

Discussion in 'United Airlines | MileagePlus' started by torbster, Apr 27, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. torbster
    Original Member

torbster Silver Member

Status Points:
    Sorry if this has been asked before, but I just bought an upgrade at checkin from economy to first, but my boarding card and itinerary now says ZE not Z - what kind of miles will I earn on this?
    It might be a daft question since my itinerary states 100%, but have any of you experienced getting 150% in this situation? And is the paid upgrade class the same as if I'd gotten a free upgrade through status?
    And since I'm crediting to Eurobonus, the difference might actually be from 25% (low eco) to 200% (first).

2. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    Most airlines give miles based on the fare code purchased, so any upgrade should not affect your mileage earnings. YMMV, especially if mistakes are made on your ticket or in rebooking some flights.

3. Jslo
    Original Member

Jslo Gold Member

Status Points:
    UA will credit you miles based on original fare class purchased. They don't give bonuses for buy up or miles or automatic or instrument (CR or SWU) upgrades.....unless there is a mistake in the booking somewhere.

Occasionally if there is a rebooking on an IRROPS they will rebook you into the full fare class, ie from an "S" fare to a full "Y" fare resulting in bonus or additional credit. But not on buy ups.

4. torbster
    Original Member

torbster Silver Member

Status Points:
    Thanks for the response! I asked because I read a thread on FT where some of the posts gave me the impression it was sort of a hit-and-miss, but I think what you're saying makes more sense.
    I guess online buy-ups will give miles for the upgraded class however? (as the price for the upgrade online seems to reflect more the difference between what you paid for your ticket - and what you would have paid for the upgraded ticket if you chose it in booking - as opposed to at check-in where you could upgrade for as low as $50 or so in some cases).