Miles Multiplier when booking

Discussion in 'US Airways | Dividend Miles' started by RedM3Pilot, Apr 1, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. RedM3Pilot
    Original Member

RedM3Pilot Gold Member

Status Points:
    Does anyone buy the extra x2 and x3 RDMs?

They're about .216 cents each so not a bad deal at all (they double not only the BIS but the elite bonus as well)...what do you think?

secretsea18 likes this.
  2. secretsea18
    Original Member

secretsea18 Gold Member

Status Points:
    I would only do it if I needed the miles for an award, and the extra 2x or 3x cost was less than buying the ticket outright.
    UA offers this mile multiplier too!

RedM3Pilot likes this.
  3. RedM3Pilot
    Original Member

RedM3Pilot Gold Member

Status Points:
    The 2x cost works out to about 30% of the ticket. I've bought this a few times but was wondering if there is some greater logic/strategy for or against. I know that if they were EQMs, it would be a no-brainer.

4. dc_traveler
    Original Member

dc_traveler Silver Member

Status Points:
    I agree -- if United offered EQMs as part of its award accelerator program, I'd pull the trigger virtually every time.

5. dcpatti
    Original Member

dcpatti Silver Member

Status Points:
    The price goes up along with the number of miles, so while technically you're getting double the miles wiht a CP bonus, you're also paying more for them. I've booked with a variety of companions on the same itinerary and each one has a different cost, based on how many total miles they'd get. I don't find the >2c per mile a particularly great deal, so I don't buy the upsell. But I did try it once, just to test a few theories. When the various mastercard promos are going on that offer stuff like 50% extra miles for booking with any MC and 100% for booking with US MC, these don't show up in the Miles Multiplier, so there's no stacking/combining the promos. Where it is very handy, though, is that it is 100% fee-free and it's handled as a separate transaction from the ticket purchase. So if you're short on miles and have something specific in mind to use those miles for, find an itinerary that gets you the right number of miles, book it and pay for the Multiplier, and then cancel the ticket the next day. When I tested this, it worked consistently: the Multiplier miles credited right off the bat, almost instantly, and were settled into the account while I still had a chance to use the free 24-hour cancellation (which is a relatively recent addition to the US customer service policies). So you do save a little money compared to buying the miles outright, as the per-mile cost is a little better and there's no transaction fee, but there is tax on either purchase.

At any rate, I would consider doing this again (or adding the miles multiplier to a trip I was planning to take anyway) but it's not really high on my list of ways to get miles. If you spend a few hours in the DM shopping mall, you can usually find 10k miles or so with very little or no cost, especially if you are elite and get the elite bonuses (note: some of those ways are one-shot deals like jobs.com for 1500 miles/3000 with CP bonus but 3k miles for posting a resume is a good deal to me-- I made it a really crappy resume, too, because I like my job and I don't want a bunch of headhunters bothering me).

RedM3Pilot likes this.
  6. RedM3Pilot
    Original Member

RedM3Pilot Gold Member

Status Points:
    Excellent ideas, dcpatti! Thanks.

I really like the 24-hour cancellation "trick" and will make it a point to pay more attention to the DM shopping mall. [​IMG]