Miles & More to MileagePlus?

Discussion in 'Newbies' started by wcblack34, Apr 16, 2013.  |  Print Topic

1. wcblack34

wcblack34 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Gooooood Morning Fellow Travelers!

I am new to the craft of earning and maximizing Frequent Flyer Miles. I have a MileagePlus account with United, and I am wondering if I can transfer Lufthansa Miles & More miles to that account, as I have been approved for a card offering 20K Miles & More miles. Does anyone have experience doing such a transfer?

2. TRAVELSIG
    Original Member

TRAVELSIG Gold Member

Status Points:
    Hi and welcome to Milepoint!

Unfortunately there is not a way to handle such a transfer. Miles&More is a good program if you fly a lot in full fare business or any fare first class- otherwise the United program is typically a much better value for earning and definitely for redeeming. The "taxes and fees" for a Lufthansa Miles&More ticket are very high.

TravelBear and NYCUA1K like this.
  3. NYCUA1K

NYCUA1K Gold Member

Status Points:
    AFAIK, such a mile transfer is not doable. Transferring miles might help to increase one's miles in one program; unfortunately, I do not think it can be done, without an intermediary program like a hotel loyalty program that takes one airline program's miles, converts them to its loyalty points, which can then be converted to miles of another airline's program. You can redeem M&M miles on UA or vice versa, so it is not all bad...

TravelBear likes this.
  4. wcblack34

wcblack34 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Thanks for the replies. I really want to get the most out of my miles, but there's a lot of information to sift through in the beginning!

So if I understand you correctly, if I have 50K UA miles and need 70K to get to Lima Peru, I can use my M&M miles on UA to make up the difference?

5. NYCUA1K

NYCUA1K Gold Member

Status Points:
    Unfortunately, that is still some form of transfer. You can only use all M&M miles on UA, meaning that all 70K miles have to be M&M miles. It is why transferring would help, but it is not allowed... You need to grow each "pot" separately to where you would have enough in each to redeem...

6. wcblack34

wcblack34 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Ah. I get it now. Thanks for that.

TravelBear likes this.
  7. gconnery

gconnery Silver Member

Status Points:
    You CAN transfer points from one program to another through points.com but you may not like the fees they charge...

TravelBear likes this.
  8. richardfredy

richardfredy Member

Status Points:
    you can transfer your points to that may help you